ADVERTISEMENT

Cal officially the worst Pac 12 program

bones40

Sports Fanatic
Apr 3, 2014
Blown out by Washington state last night 82-59 at this point can we please fire Jones
and call Mellis from salesian, Lou Ritchie or even Frank knight from moreau.I would
have to believe any of those 3 could land a better recruiting class and coach then Jones.
If you gave me Sierra canyon plus 15 against cal I would be quite tempted to blow my pension
On Sierra canyon.

Blown out by Washington state last night 82-59 at this point can we please fire Jones
and call Mellis from salesian, Lou Ritchie or even Frank knight from moreau.I would
have to believe any of those 3 could land a better recruiting class and coach then Jones.
If you gave me Sierra canyon plus 15 against cal I would be quite tempted to blow my pension
On Sierra canyon.

If you're a Cal alum then sure have at it but I really dont know who watches college basketball anymore unless its March Madness or Zion Williamson.

I happen to enjoy college basketball just as much as high school basketball and as
much as I am enjoying the success of usf this season it is equally disappointing to see
cal basketball be as bad as it is two years removed from being a tournament team.

I happen to enjoy college basketball just as much as high school basketball and as
much as I am enjoying the success of usf this season it is equally disappointing to see
cal basketball be as bad as it is two years removed from being a tournament team.

I would like to see Cal revisit the Ben Braun route. Priority bringing in juco guys that already are seasoned and know how to play vs glassy-eyed freshmen that only know instant gratification. This will at least restore a competitive environment at Cal in comparison to what it is now. Wilcox is going a great job right now with what he has however wouldnt be surprised if he was hired away by another program with deeper pockets.

Wyking Jones shouldn’t be coaching at Berkeley High, let alone Cal. His teams are undisciplined, have no fundamentals, and stagnate offensively. I can only guess that Cal has no money to pay anybody.

YEs, and surprisingly Hopkins is building a nice program in Seattle at Washington. Some expected that program to fall when he took over, but they are going in the other direction, and I expect that he will start to land some top recruits soon. Cal is in for a long road as other schools in Pac 12 get better and it likely will not..

I mean if Cal is going to stink like this they should just offer and go hard after all the Bay Area kids. They can be like San Jose St. but with an on paper better name.

I think a mellis, Knight, Richie staff would be fun. Could be too many cooks in the kitchen though

If you're a Cal alum then sure have at it but I really dont know who watches college basketball anymore unless its March Madness or Zion Williamson.
i watch college basketball all season... i dont too much care for the nba after kobe left although i am a huge lebron fan.

On Sierra canyon.
if you think coaching versus hercules, irvington or mt eden means you can coach division 1 ncaa basketball in a power 5..... you need to study a little more basketball

@ankleassassin I guess in your eyes Jones is doing a great job at coaching cal in power 5 conference would
You recommend an exstension and raise also since I need to study a little more basketball my point
was the unknown vs the known poor job done by Jones.

Coronzo left that program a mess. CAL got the last man standing in Jones. No real biz getting that job. But I don't see how you are going to recruit people from successful programs when you have such a financial mess at CAL these days.

@ankleassassin I guess in your eyes Jones is doing a great job at coaching cal in power 5 conference would
You recommend an exstension and raise also since I need to study a little more basketball my point
was the unknown vs the known poor job done by Jones.
i wouldnt know. i have not watched a Cal game. my only argument was that coaching high school basketball in the tcal vs coaching in the pac 12 is like winters in north dakota and miami.

You don’t see random high school coaches going from high school straight to college. The difference between high school and college is enormous when compared to a college coach going to the NBA.

You can be the best coach in the World. If you can’t recruit, you’ll end up fired before your contract even ends. Look at Calipari. Is he a great Xs and Os coach? Absolutely not, but he can recruit with the best of them, hence he has had a job for a ton of years straight now.

Reactions: relittleton
You don’t see random high school coaches going from high school straight to college. The difference between high school and college is enormous when compared to a college coach going to the NBA.

You can be the best coach in the World. If you can’t recruit, you’ll end up fired before your contract even ends. Look at Calipari. Is he a great Xs and Os coach? Absolutely not, but he can recruit with the best of them, hence he has had a job for a ton of years straight now.
Bingo! Any of the top HS coaches would do just fine in college as a coach. People act like the college game is still Bobby Knight vs Denny Crum. The question that would determine success is, “Could they recruit the level?”

Bingo! Any of the top HS coaches would do just fine in college as a coach. People act like the college game is still Bobby Knight vs Denny Crum. The question that would determine success is, “Could they recruit the level?”
i think he said the opposite of what you were saying.. no it is quite hard to make such a move. i guess it depends on what you mean as 'top'... some high school coaches do recruit now but none of the coaches mentioned are supposed to be recruiting... i say that with a wink.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT