ADVERTISEMENT

DLS vs STA on ESPNU 6:30

The white hat in this game was a NorCal official of the year named by the STATE CCA. He is only one step below Dave Cutaia, former head of PAC12 officials, now Board of CCCOA. They are peers. He runs a very tight ship for his games and knows how to take control when necessary, especially for elite programs. He runs his crews and games at the highest level. If you're not doing the same, it's on you. I've seen him in action several times- big games. He's unimpeachable. And if anyone thinks Lopoz, ESPN or anybody wouldn't have the best out there for the initial HS telecast (how many graphics were on the telecast regarding ESPNs top 300?!) they are simply ignorant. I've seen my share of questionable calls for OOS games held at OO, and frankly, tend to favor the home team.

OC- since at the game, you saw there is minimal sideline room on the dLS side. It's tight with players, all three levels of coaches and various and assorted others (AB's posse?!) If there is ANY issue with the SJ not having his lane outside of play, then you understand they got a warning earlier (which is standard at OO BECAUSE of the limited space. It's one of the few venues in HS that literally have around 15 feet from sideline to stands.) It's a simple explanation on that one. Anybody complaining on that one can blame Lopoz for allowing too dense of "non-team" on the sidelines.

As far as "big linemen," BG's line first time in Concord was much bigger. Sparta didn't have a problem then.

I was at the first BG game and the one last year... Neither team was Close to the size of the STA Lineman.... That was the Biggest and Best team best team not named MD that DLS has ever played...

As far as the refs go, I will accept your explanation and I am over it... It’s HSFB, I have moved on....:)

Just glad to have been there to see it in person... As a fan it is such a treat that we get to see these great national teams up close here in Concord!!!....:)

Reactions: SpartanzRule
I was at the first BG game and the one last year... Neither team was Close to the size of the STA Lineman.... That was the Biggest and Best team best team not named MD that DLS has ever played...

As far as the refs go, I will accept your explanation and I am over it... It’s HSFB, I have moved on....:)

Just glad to have been there to see it in person... As a fan it is such a treat that we get to see these great national teams up close here in Concord!!!....:)

You and I are in the same boat. I'm over the refs. It's HSFB. DLS benefited last year on the Ngata fumble at the goal line. Time to move on. And I agree with you....there is no team DLS has ever played as big as this STA squad. No question. I've seen MD, Bosco, BG, and ET on the field with DLS. That was the first time I was in awe of a team's size. DLS played tough and weren't intimidated. Proud of those kids.

Reactions: remc and THEOC89
I was at the game and this is what I saw...

STA is the most Physically Impressive HSFB team I have seen in person, it looked like DLS was playing Notre Dame....

DLS played very well in this game along the lines, they really held their own and STA’s D Line was ridiculously Big and Tall.... This seemed to be in Hales Head from the beginning of the game because he never looked comfortable passing, And he never looked like this last year even against MD... He definitely had his worst game but he can play and will bounce back.. He just faced a National Top 10 defensive team... They were huge and super fast and Very, very good!!!!...

Putting up 14 on that defense was impressive and if Hale could have made a couple of plays they would have won that game... #24 is electric and DLS speed on Offense is impressive... They will be very good this year and put up a ton of points....

DLS Defense played very well there line was very impressive against the Massive STA line... DLS’s Glaring weakness is linebackers, no size, ok speed but very poor tackling... the surprising thing though is STA never took advantage of this... They just kept running the Ball and trying to over power DLS and DLS kept stopping them... DLS did not get out hit in this game, their defense played well...

STA was impressive but they are not well coached and lean on their talent and Physical Prowess... They could have put that game away early with some creative play calling and their athletes but they ran the same read option all game which DLS stopped all night, both STA’s TD’s were on passes, there receivers were so big and just a ridiculous mismatch...

The Officiating was flat out embarrassing for a game of this level... A bogus Pass Interference call that lead to a TD for STA, the phantom Fumble that lead to a FG were game deciding terrible calls...

But the worst call was calling sideline interference on a DLS fan who Bumped into a Photographer.... How is that even a penalty???... What does bumping into a photographer have to do with interfering with a play?....

So all in all, I was happy with what I saw from DLS... Yes they have a lot of work to do, and the amount of bad, mental penalties was shocking.... But to play an opponent like that, the #1 team in the country in your first game of the year in a great game that was competitive until the Refs decided it late in the 4th quarter will go along way for this DLS team...

Overall a great night to be at the Double O!!!... Super fun game to watch in a Great Atmosphere!!!... So fortunate to have the opportunity to see HSFB games like this here in Concord!!!...:)
why is it that certain teams are always undisciplined and not well coached? St. Thomas Aq has won state titles in probably the best state top to bottom in high school football under these coaches but they arent good coaches? Damn Shame the taxes some gotta pay.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
why is it that certain teams are always undisciplined and not well coached? St. Thomas Aq has won state titles in probably the best state top to bottom in high school football under these coaches but they arent good coaches? Damn Shame the taxes some gotta pay.
This bias philosophy has been around since I was a kid playing Pop Warner in the 70's. It's the main reason I got into coaching.

My impression from game. STA is a very good talented team. Probably not #1 in the Nation given they have a soph QB that needs to mature and the RBs were good but not elite. Very big and talented offensive line and sound defense, but I think the Maxpreps are probably more accurate than USA today. STA could be the #3 team in Florida behind IMG and Lakeland. However, even given this the Spartans played really well and actually had a shot in this game. Spartan's also are probably ranked accurately where they should be. They have two very good RBs and also impressed with their ERs and special teams. Hale needs more time at QB as a passer - the STA rush and length gave Hale problems in seeing open receivers (although STA DBs were really good) and also made him adjust his throws. STA defense was really good although they had a tough time against Garrat who is a great RB. That STA WR is great.

DLS defense is probably not as good as last season at this stage but still very quick and physical. The two southern CA teams (MD and SJB) probably would have given the STA defense more fits. DLS probably will run the table though through to state. Folsom will probably move the ball well on offense but the DLS defense is very quick and they will not have an easy time. The DLS offense may be better than it was last year at this stage and the upcoming Folsom game may be a different kind of game. maybe more scoring by both, but the Spartans should be a big favorite.

All in all the Spartans represented the state well.

No kidding.
At one point when a STA trainer(?) passsed our table to go to the locker rooms I requested that she ask her defensive coordinator to have the taller Raider defensive line stay/play low while defending the western end zone so I could see our shorter Spartans as their offensive play developed.

Might as well asked for the winning 6 numbers in Saturday's Mega Lotto........same result.

Nada.

I answered this on another Thread....

STA’s current Coach has won 1 state title (2015) and always has the most talented team in their playoff bracket year in and year out but loses to public schools in the playoffs regularly....

STA was shut out 12-0 by AZ Centennial in 2017 (Same Coach) in a game where STA had a Massive Talent advantage....

Great Coaches like those of MD and SJB blow out teams like DLS that they have a Massive Talent advantage over as evidenced by their record vs DLS the last 3 years....

STA looked undisciplined in person, they let DLS Back In the game that shouldn’t been close, until 4 min left in the 4th period when the Refs sealed the deal for STA with that terrible call....

Just my opinion after seeing STA in person...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT