ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Andrews on youth sports and overuse

I totally agree with this. Kids need to spend more time being kids and playing all or whatever sport they want to when their sport is "out of season". I believe that multiple sport athletes tend to be tougher and a more well rounded player both mentally and physically. I think different sports tend to develop different characteristics in an athlete. I believe this is the fault both the club coach and their high school coach. How many athletes do you see trying to play multiple sports or on multiple teams because of their club or HS coach telling them that they need to play for them if they want to continue to play for them in the future. I think HS coaches should only be able to have control during their HS period and that their club coaches should have no say when their season is over. Don't get me wrong....If a player or family commits to their coach during their season their coach should DEMAND 100 percent commitment but to be perfectly honest if a player is talented enough they will find a way onto the field/court no matter if they did or did not go to their coaches off season commitments.

Every kid is in a little different situation. Most the kids on my sons HS baseball team couldn't sniff making other teams at their school. Their were a couple that played soccer and one or two that played football, but overall most couldn't make other teams. One of the local HS teams had the kid that plays backup catcher for the SF Giants and I know he played some football, but not into his Sr. year. I'd say it paid off for him to focus on baseball even with the ability to play on other HS teams. In my case I discouraged football with my sons just because I had played way to much and I was afraid they'd be just good enough to play college ball and regret it someday. Most my college teammates walk with a limp, have replaced original equipment, or have been affected physically in a negative fashion at this stage of life.
This post was edited on 11/20 12:04 PM by mrsplitty

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT