ADVERTISEMENT

Healdsburg High shelves varsity football for remainder of season

That’s too bad, but could be a bellwether of things to come for HS football and Friday Night Lights.

really sad, kids shouldn't need to deal with it, let em play another school

I read the article the kids are the ones who quit, tha Varsity started with 18 players and was down to 12 after some quit the team.

Sounds like they could have saved the team by bringing in players from the JV team as the article says JV had 30 players. Don’t know why they didn’t do that instead of removing the Varsity and giving the option to the 12 players to suit up for JV if they wanted to. Sounds like they did it a little backwards, and like the article says it affects gate and concession revenue and the other teams scheduled. Just don’t understand why they just didn’t bring up players from the JV could have been the better solution for everyone.

this is really tough to see, they used to be a tough out since my Pop Warner days

Reactions: slick58
I read the article the kids are the ones who quit, tha Varsity started with 18 players and was down to 12 after some quit the team.

Sounds like they could have saved the team by bringing in players from the JV team as the article says JV had 30 players. Don’t know why they didn’t do that instead of removing the Varsity and giving the option to the 12 players to suit up for JV if they wanted to. Sounds like they did it a little backwards, and like the article says it affects gate and concession revenue and the other teams scheduled. Just don’t understand why they just didn’t bring up players from the JV could have been the better solution for everyone.
Without knowing the makeup of the JV, it is possible they have a lot of freshmen on playing on the team. Big difference in 14-15 year olds matching up against 17-18. I'm sure they considered the two options and chose the better one for them.

Never even heard of Healdsburg. I need to get out more.

HUGE wine country destination...at least 25(walking distance) wine tasting venues in downtown Healdsburg. The Healdsburg school district shut down it boundaries a few yrs. back and does not allow out of district kids to transfer in. Which has hurt the HS enrollment and obviously their sport teams.

Healdsburg is about 25 mins north of Santa Rosa just past Windsor.

HUGE wine country destination...at least 25(walking distance) wine tasting venues in downtown Healdsburg. The Healdsburg school district shut down it boundaries a few yrs. back and does not allow out of district kids to transfer in. Which has hurt the HS enrollment and obviously their sport teams.

Healdsburg is about 25 mins north of Santa Rosa just past Windsor.
Thanks for the info. I may have to check it out someday. I have been getting my wine fix up here in Amador and El Dorado county lately.

Thanks for the info. I may have to check it out someday. I have been getting my wine fix up here in Amador and El Dorado county lately.

I use to work in the hospitality industry when I lived in Vegas and would get asked about the wine country often. I would tell the people to forego Napa and go to Healdsburg instead. The wine just as good(in some cases better) and avoid all the tourist traps and the crowds in Napa.

if you enjoy your wine its worth the trip...

Without knowing the makeup of the JV, it is possible they have a lot of freshmen on playing on the team. Big difference in 14-15 year olds matching up against 17-18. I'm sure they considered the two options and chose the better one for them.
Yep

I use to work in the hospitality industry when I lived in Vegas and would get asked about the wine country often. I would tell the people to forego Napa and go to Healdsburg instead. The wine just as good(in some cases better) and avoid all the tourist traps and the crowds in Napa.

if you enjoy your wine its worth the trip...

I much prefer the Dry Creek and Alexander Valley wines and vibe to Sonoma and Napa.

I much prefer the Dry Creek and Alexander Valley wines and vibe to Sonoma and Napa.

BY Healdsburg canceling the balance of the football season, they have put the screws to eight other teams...Finding games to fill the spots will be extra tough.....Todays' parents are in a panic, by being bombed by the TV and the radio on head injuries....injuries are going to happen and a lot of them are not by playing football..The sport is in trouble by all this flack and it could take several years to have this panic settle down...

BY Healdsburg canceling the balance of the football season, they have put the screws to eight other teams...Finding games to fill the spots will be extra tough.....Todays' parents are in a panic, by being bombed by the TV and the radio on head injuries....injuries are going to happen and a lot of them are not by playing football..The sport is in trouble by all this flack and it could take several years to have this panic settle down...
What?

Or, the panic could get a whole lot worse if disturbing statistics and revelations continue to emerge.

Reactions: 13 others

Healdsburg is pretty high end these days. You are talking about an area that attracts a lot of big spenders and high rollers. Wasn't always like that back in the day growing up. Really was a "hick" town that has blossomed into a swanky destination.

Have a few good friends out in the Alexander Valley and Dry Creek. Beautiful area.

I thought you said you were a Piner Santa Rosa grad. In which case you would certainly have heard of Healdsburg. Or am I mistaken?

I thought you said you were a Piner Santa Rosa grad. In which case you would certainly have heard of Healdsburg. Or am I mistaken?
I graduated High School in Washington State in the 80s my friend. I think you have me confused with someone else.

Reactions: remc
If you grew up in Norcal you would certainly have heard of Healdsburg. (not for there sports but for the wine country). In any event bummer that they dropped football. Sign of the times my friends... Sign of the times. Its not like you have armies of kids playing frosh and JV either at these schools. All these beautiful fields they built will be known as the soccer and lacrosse stadium.

Reactions: cashisking18
If you grew up in Norcal you would certainly have heard of Healdsburg. (not for there sports but for the wine country). In any event bummer that they dropped football. Sign of the times my friends... Sign of the times. Its not like you have armies of kids playing frosh and JV either at these schools. All these beautiful fields they built will be known as the soccer and lacrosse stadium.
From what you guys say- I need to get the old lady up there with me and have a wine filled weekend.

I remember this program having a nice run in the 80’s or 90’s, played in the NCS 2A title game if memory serves

Yeah they were a good solid program in the 80’s-90’s. Had some good NCS battles with Marin Catholic and lost to a D’Marco Farr led Kennedy team at the Coliseum in 88’ in the title game.

Actually the only Sonoma County League team to ever win a NCS title in football.

Reactions: MC415 and slick58
Not as as Sonoma County League (SCL) team. Won all of their NCS titles after they had been moved out of the SCL and into the North Bay League (NBL) around 74’.

Ok, I guess I’m just not that familiar with the league division changes up there. I thought you were saying the only Sonoma County team to win.

Ok, I guess I’m just not that familiar with the league division changes up there. I thought you were saying the only Sonoma County team to win.

Yeah Newman, Rancho and Montgomery have all won titles and are in Sonoma County. And as I type this I am acutualy wrong. Windsor won a NCS title on 2011 when they were still in the SCL (and were actually pretty good).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT