ADVERTISEMENT

Houle Steps Down at Serra (San Mateo)

Where Are They Now

Sports Fanatic
Sep 6, 2011
Alamo

Chris Houle resigns after six years as Serra baseball coach​

After six years in the Serra dugout, Chris Houle has stepped down as head coach of the Padres varsity baseball program.

Houle announced his resignation in early July, after Serra finished the season with a 16-12 overall record, including a 6-8 mark in West Catholic Athletic League play. It was the second straight year the Padres finished below .500 in league, the first back-to-back such seasons since 1973 and ’74. He was 97-55 overall in six seasons, including a 37-27 WCAL record, and one co-league championship in 2018.

“Being the head coach, it’s just a big job, it’s a big commitment,” Houle said. “It’s a lot of time, it’s a lot of energy, it’s a lot of effort that goes into it. ... As much as I love it — I love baseball, I love Serra — but for me personally, it’s been getting kind of harder ... to make that commitment and sustain the effort for everything you need to do.”

Serra athletic director Justin Ferdinand said there has been a fairly good response from applicants submitting to become the varsity baseball program’s 12th all-time head coach. The application deadline is Aug. 1. Ferdinand said there is no immediate hiring deadline.
“Obviously, being competitive in one of the strongest leagues in the state of California for baseball is always a priority,” Ferdinand said. “But, more so, just finding someone who can continue to build on the success of the program, and continue to teach those life lessons that will help these kids become great men.”
Houle, now 49, took over the Serra varsity program in 2018, one year after the departure of eight-year coach Craig Gianinno, who stepped down midway through the 2017 season. Dan Nolan, who served as interim head coach at the end of the 2017 season, stayed on as part of Houle’s coaching staff.
Houle previously served as the junior-varsity head coach from 1998-2009 when Pete Jensen headed the program. A 1992 graduate of Serra, Houle previous played for Jensen.

Read More Here https://www.smdailyjournal.com/spor...cle_4692b424-2534-11ee-bd01-f79b5f786cd6.html

Jordan Paroubeck Serra Alum - was at Menlo Atherton last season
Dan Nolan - Houle's assistant
Joe Kmak - Serra Alum - MLB Alum - Coached with Jensen and Houle.
Jesse Lehane ’05 - Serra Alum - Coaching Padre JV's
Sean McMillian Serra Alum - hired at SH Prep
2021-2023

I would imagine several dozen from other venues.

Reactions: Streak One
mcmillan aint leavin the prep Jordan has a good deal goin at MA Kmak would give them the middle finger most likely
kid out of USF is a good possibility

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT