ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Been a Great Ride!

lharris

Jun 22, 2001
After 17 years as the owner of NorCalPreps.com and the site’s Publisher/Editor in partnership with Rivals.com, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my retirement. NCP has been sold to Douglas Benton (aka Streak One), who will take over as the site’s new owner effective January 1, 2017.

Doug joined NCP in September 2004 as a freelance writer while still a junior at Yuba City High School. He went on to major in Journalism and received his bachelor’s degree from Chico State University in 2009. After his graduation, Doug was retained by NCP as a full-time sports analyst covering baseball, boys/girls basketball and football. He is currently the site Editor in addition to chairing all player and team ranking committees, moderating the message boards and managing NCP’s social media presence. As I contemplated my exit from the high school sports arena and who I could entrust with the legacy of NCP, I could think of no better candidate than Doug. Needless to say, the site will be in very good hands.

I founded NCP as a boys basketball site in 1999. Shortly thereafter, I entered into negotiations with Rivals.com, who required that we add football coverage as a condition of the partnership. As the site grew, we eventually added girls basketball and primarily due to Doug’s efforts, baseball coverage was added in 2009. My vision was that NCP would eventually become the primary source for recruiting news and prospect rankings in the region. I am proud to say we have accomplished that goal.

In my years at the helm of NCP, it has been a joy to watch many fine young people develop to become college and professional athletes but more importantly, contributing members of society at large. I have fond memories of engaging with fans on the message boards with many interesting experiences, one of which I will share.

In the summer of 2000, I was scouting the Oakland Soldiers at a club tournament in the Bay Area. A slim, 6-foot-6 kid came in off the bench and made an instant impact on the game with his ball-handling ability and court vision. I had never seen nor heard of this kid before. No one else in the gym seemed to know who he was either. So, I approached the bench and asked one of the coaches, who said "his name is Lebron James and this past season, he led his high school team to the Ohio State Championship Game as a freshman." Intrigued, I scouted him the following summer at an exhibition game between the Oakland Soldiers and Modesto Christian who had just won the CIF NorCal Division I Regional Title and featured Richard Midgely, Marc Pratt, David Paris and Chuck Hayes. James was a man among boys and he was the first high school kid I had ever seen to that point who demonstrated legit NBA-caliber moves. Thoroughly convinced of this kid’s future, I declared on our message board that James would be a lottery pick in the 2003 NBA Draft. Remember, he had only completed his sophomore season at this point and was still relatively unknown outside the state of Ohio. The board lit up with criticism of my seeming blasphemy. "This is an example of the problem with high school sports. People on this board blowing kids’ heads up with how great they are…" was a typical response. I understood the criticism but stood by my prediction. The rest, as they say, is history.

While one chapter of my life is closing, another continues. As some of you might be aware, I have other business interests. As the President of Janico Building Services, 100% of my focus will now be directed there. I bid a fond farewell to my NCP family and much success to Doug on his new journey.

Lorenzo Harris, Publisher
ncplogo.jpg

ZO, man it's been a nice ride.... thanks for all you've done. you took us from SacAreaHoops to NorcalPreps by the way where's SweetPea?

take care

Thanks Lorenzo!
I was around "way back when" and even remember the LaBron/Soldiers days, in the gym and on the board!
I enjoyed the banter, and have stayed far far away for a number of years, but enjoyed my time as "Nobody" and his alter ego "White Shadow". and now "Nobody209". I was the only guy in Nor Cal defending Chuck Hayes, when most gave him no "cred", and trying to help folks understand the caliber of hoops in the 209. ( after a 10 year career in the Association, looks like a few of us were right)
Thanks again for keeping the board as your labor of love for so long.

Enjoy the ride,

Bob

Reactions: lharris
Well done Sir! Thank you for creating this site. Been around since the Kately/Tofi era although under the moniker 1DnA, but somehow lost the password LOL Its helped pass the dead times while at DNA Way, so again, well done and thank you!

Reactions: lharris
17 years

When I think about that number and realize 55% of my life ties to Lorenzo Harris it makes me feel old, yet maybe just a little seasoned.

Almost 17 years ago I endured an event. People like to make drama out of nothing but I can safely say I encountered, endured, learned from, and became more of a man at a very young age because of a life event. While my world seemingly crumbled around me and the spotlight increased to very difficult levels of intensity I reached out to one man I met only briefly and didn’t even know if I could trust.

I called Lorenzo Harris and told him I would confide in him, and only him.

Odd such an instinct led to a life relationship, a business partnership, and the collaborative development of something approaching a local phenomenon for a lengthy period of time.

Selfishly Zo created NorCalPreps but I always felt WE created NorCalPreps. An odd marriage only on the surface, I felt I got to exercise all the unbridled emotion due a region and a sport always looked at like a stepchild to other areas of the country Zo wanted to but never wanted to step beyond his persona. I found a persona and when we talked about what the site needed, we agreed we needed real and unflinching. Funny I’m not sure Zo anticipated how real we would get and how much buzz would develop.

We liked to tell people NorCalPreps existed solely to promote NorCal athletes to get an opportunity to play sports in college, hopefully on some kind of assistance. In reality we just wanted both NorCal athletes and the fans of NorCal athletes to get an opportunity to show all they could show, discuss all they could discuss, and revel in the camaraderie (even the contentious kind) of a community all similarly interested. Who woulda thought in only a few years the scouting reports and clarity of the site led kids from NorCal to scholarships in almost every state of the United States? For God’s sake we helped get a kid a scholarship to the University of Maine!

Most people will never understand the financial loss incurred to running NorCalPreps when one considered the hours required to maintain a quality product. Zo never complained and never clamored for attention, he just dutifully ran the site to ensure anyone even remotely interested could get their NorCalPreps fix. Like most things in the internet age people did and will take the “free” for granted but I want to tell anyone who ever logged onto a NorCalPreps page, that ish didn’t just happen. I never wanted to run the site. I never wanted the administrative BS (I had and have enough of that in my own professional world). I never wanted the headache of dealing with a large corporate partner. Yet Zo just trudged on and kept everything moving so NorCal athletes and fans could own a space, their space.

Few people get the label of irreplaceable and when the site continues to run more than capably under the hands of Doug Benton, even fewer will remember how all this occurred, but I want to remind everyone, none of this ever happens without Lorenzo Harris. Without Zo creating NorCalPreps I don’t meet the Godfather of my children, one of the best coaches I ever met despite how much I trashed him (yeah Rich, that’s a shoutout to you), one of the most giving people anyone ever met from the North Section, the best all-around athlete in high school I ever saw who never shoulda turned down Harbaugh to play quarterback (yeah Shiller), one of the greatest lost talents in the history of NorCal (Wilwright), but mostly meet one of the most quietly selfless people I know (yeah, you Zo).

While I stopped posting regularly years ago for many reasons, mostly the rigors of life, Zo and I remain close friends. I hope everyone who logs onto NCP can appreciate, even slightly, what he created and rarity for such a place to exist even in virtual land.

Thank you Lorenzo

Peace

After 17 years as the owner of NorCalPreps.com and the site’s Publisher/Editor in partnership with Rivals.com, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my retirement. NCP has been sold to Douglas Benton (aka Streak One), who will take over as the site’s new owner effective January 1, 2017.

Doug joined NCP in September 2004 as a freelance writer while still a junior at Yuba City High School. He went on to major in Journalism and received his bachelor’s degree from Chico State University in 2009. After his graduation, Doug was retained by NCP as a full-time sports analyst covering baseball, boys/girls basketball and football. He is currently the site Editor in addition to chairing all player and team ranking committees, moderating the message boards and managing NCP’s social media presence. As I contemplated my exit from the high school sports arena and who I could entrust with the legacy of NCP, I could think of no better candidate than Doug. Needless to say, the site will be in very good hands.

I founded NCP as a boys basketball site in 1999. Shortly thereafter, I entered into negotiations with Rivals.com, who required that we add football coverage as a condition of the partnership. As the site grew, we eventually added girls basketball and primarily due to Doug’s efforts, baseball coverage was added in 2009. My vision was that NCP would eventually become the primary source for recruiting news and prospect rankings in the region. I am proud to say we have accomplished that goal.

In my years at the helm of NCP, it has been a joy to watch many fine young people develop to become college and professional athletes but more importantly, contributing members of society at large. I have fond memories of engaging with fans on the message boards with many interesting experiences, one of which I will share.

In the summer of 2000, I was scouting the Oakland Soldiers at a club tournament in the Bay Area. A slim, 6-foot-6 kid came in off the bench and made an instant impact on the game with his ball-handling ability and court vision. I had never seen nor heard of this kid before. No one else in the gym seemed to know who he was either. So, I approached the bench and asked one of the coaches, who said "his name is Lebron James and this past season, he led his high school team to the Ohio State Championship Game as a freshman." Intrigued, I scouted him the following summer at an exhibition game between the Oakland Soldiers and Modesto Christian who had just won the CIF NorCal Division I Regional Title and featured Richard Midgely, Marc Pratt, David Paris and Chuck Hayes. James was a man among boys and he was the first high school kid I had ever seen to that point who demonstrated legit NBA-caliber moves. Thoroughly convinced of this kid’s future, I declared on our message board that James would be a lottery pick in the 2003 NBA Draft. Remember, he had only completed his sophomore season at this point and was still relatively unknown outside the state of Ohio. The board lit up with criticism of my seeming blasphemy. "This is an example of the problem with high school sports. People on this board blowing kids’ heads up with how great they are…" was a typical response. I understood the criticism but stood by my prediction. The rest, as they say, is history.

While one chapter of my life is closing, another continues. As some of you might be aware, I have other business interests. As the President of Janico Building Services, 100% of my focus will now be directed there. I bid a fond farewell to my NCP family and much success to Doug on his new journey.

Lorenzo Harris, Publisher
ncplogo.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT