ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Brown to Nevada

HoopGuy03

Board Regular
Feb 5, 2018
Jordan Brown has Committed to Nevada Wolfpack!!!

Great Pick up by the Pack.

Joins fellow PHPS Guard Charles Tooley ( Granite Bay)

Reactions: TwitterLegend
They were the front runner for a long time to get him congrats to the wolfpack.

Glad he went to Prolific Prep to get that national recruiting attention. The school that is 90 miles up i80 from roseville.

Out of his last 3 though this makes the most sense. CAL is a financial mess and revolving door for coaches. They weren't as good as some D2 schools last year.
Arizona has way to much hanging over their heads and Miller is a slime ball.

Programs are cyclical. There is a sharp downward spiral going on at Cal. It might be time to hire a Ben Braun type coach that gets JUCO transfers that are maturer and are ready to play. There is nothing attractive anymore that Cal can offer a HS kid. Rabb, I believe really loves where hes from and saw Cal as being his best opportunity. Would love to see transfers come in ala Thomas Kilgore, Geno Carlisle, Ed Gray. Those were exciting Cal times.

Glad he went to Prolific Prep to get that national recruiting attention. The school that is 90 miles up i80 from roseville.

Out of his last 3 though this makes the most sense. CAL is a financial mess and revolving door for coaches. They weren't as good as some D2 schools last year.

Not sure if you are being cynical, but he didn’t need to go to PP to be recruited to Nevada. Too bad he didn’t get to finish his HS experience with his friends and neighbors who supported him from the beginning. If he wanted National attention he wouldn’t have chosen Nevada, because the get mild media play at best. Best of luck to this young man. His upside is tremendous.

Reactions: MoneyTeam0115
Being very cynical. Absolutely no reason for a kid of his skill set to go to a prep school and then choose a school that was recruiting you in the first place. I agree 100% with you. Hayes is a great HS coach also. Hibbs will be even better.

I think he will be a force at UNR. I could see 20 and 10 frosh season. His skill sets are really tremendous. Curious about NBA though. He reminds me of a throwback a little. Sort of like a Lamarcus Aldridge. He's not super athletic in terms of shot blocking and catching lobs but his low post footwork and touch is really great. But if he has a big season at UNR you have to test the waters. Don't make mistake that Rabb made at CAL.

He must fall in love with the strenth and conditioning coach at Nevada as getting stronger
Will be a major factor for him going forward I would not be surprised at all if he were to
stay there at least two seasons. While I was critical of his move to prolific prep
he did improve his low post and face up game making himself more of a dual
threat. He has a bright future and give musslemen credit he has turned reno Nevada
into a hot bed destination spot for transfers and now one of the top recruits
In his class.

Last edited:
Reactions: youseechief
Heard he committed the other day. Wow Nevada has one heck of a team next year IF those Martin Twins comeback. All the Mock Drafts I've seen have the Martin twins NOT going in the 1st round. I think they'll comeback.

Then you'll have a core four of Jordan Caroline, Jordan Brown, Caleb Martin and Cody Martin......Could be a top 10 team in the Country.

Also KJ Hymes is committed there as well....WOW!

Was really impressed with Hymes when I saw him locally here in Napa Valley. He's def. more 6'10 than he is 6'8. Lots of potential!

UNR will be loaded. Those martin brothers can ball. Like I said before the Reno move actually doesn't surprise me given the final choices. Musseleman has NBA ties as well. And Reno will be better than anybody in the Pac12. I just think nothing changes if he played at WC. Still a MCD, still all the offers, and maybe a run at that state champ again. Oh well.

larry legend33, pretty uninformed comment about why Jordan Brown went to Prolific Prep for his senior year.

It's not about National exposure or scholarships, like you mentioned; you get that mostly through AAU. It is to be better prepared for college on Day 1 by competing against both in practice and in games against guys as athletic, long, tall, skilled, and intelligent as you are in order to better simulate what the next level is going to be like.

Have you ever been to a practice to watch what they do at Prolific Prep and how they are coached? Answer is probably not, Rather you write without being informed. Have you ever spoken to Jordan or his dad? Probably not.

A lot of times in life people put others down when they either don't know what they are talking about or want to put down something or somebody different. Everybody is different and has their own path in trying to achieve their goal(s).

In practice Jordan was coached by 6 coaches that either played and/or played and coached in college and a head coach that has coached professionally overseas and in the Pac-12 and has an Master's in Business Administration and a Bachelor of Science degree in Bio-Chemistry.

In practice he competed against teammates:
6"10 2018 Onyinyechi Eyisi - Headed to Fordham
6'10 2019 Oton Jankovic
6'9 2018 Amadou Sow - Headed to UCSB
6'8 2019 Alimamy Koroma
6'6 2018 Jeenathan Williams - Headed to Buffalo
6'4 2018 Sekou Toure - Headed to UCSB
6'5 2018 Jared Martin - Headed to Montana St.
6'3 2020 Nimari Burnett

(Teammates from 6 different countries and whom speak 7 different languages)

Prolific Prep starts practices/workouts in August which means Jordan received approximately 65 days of extra practice which translates to a lot more hours of development against guys his own size and ability in an environment that is similar to college and the NBA in terms of pace of play, intensity, IQ, skill level, and offensive and defensive systems.

Jordan probably was involved in 2,500 ball screens (from practice to games), different types of ball screens and ball screen defenses his senior year, where a kid his size in a regular HS may only be involved in 10 percent of that or less.

Jordan played in an offensive system very similar to the San Antonio Spurs which is pretty advanced in terms of how to play, spacing, ball screen action, ability to pass, movement without the ball, and adjusting to different ball screen defenses.

Also, former GM of the Cleveland Cavaliers David Griffin visits practice weekly at Prolific since he now lives in the area. Invaluable resource to Prolific Prep's program.

Some of the teams Jordan played against his senior year in terms of opponents faced:

Sunrise Christian (Top 25)
Huntington Prep (Top 25)
Tennessee Prep
Memphis East HS (Top 25)
West Oaks
Westtown (Top 25)
Oak Hill Academy (Top 25)
Findlay Prep (Top 25)
Aspire Academy
Orangeville Prep
Athlete's Institute
IMG (Top 25)
Garfield Heights HS (Top 25)
Our Savior Lutheran
Bella Vista College Prep
Victory Rock

3 McDonald All-Americans he played against and 7 future McDonald's All-Americans he played against in games this year.

When you put down someone's college choice without speaking to the family or player himself, you sound uninformed and narrow minded.

Jordan Brown was selected for the McDonald's All-American game and the Nike Hoop Summit.

Jordan Brown scored the 3rd most points from a CA player in the history of the McDonald's All-American game which is a huge accomplishment.

Jordan Brown's True Offers:

Cal Berkeley
Arizona
UCLA
Oregon
Louisville
Wake Forest
North Carolina
USC
Xavier
St. John's
Louisiana Lafayette
Gonzaga
Nevada Reno

When people put down the level of a college where someone chooses, often times that person only thinks of HM, MM, LM which is a very uneducated, unsophisticated, narrow minded view of someone's college choice process and decision.

Every college is in a different place at this point of time in terms of level of coaching, level of competition, ability to win, roster strength, daily competition, resources, degree value, ability to play early in your career, ability to play with/without talent, best opportunity in terms of path being a pro, alumni network, marketing opportunities, and plenty other factors people mull over prior to making a college choice.

The landscape of college basketball changes yearly, monthly, and you have to do your homework in regards to what is most important to you and your family.

It has nothing to do with proximity between Roseville, CA and Reno, NV.

It probably has something to do with:

Head Coaching Experience:
Coach Musselman has been an NBA Head Coach for 2 teams.
Coach Musselman has quickly turned around an average college program into one that was a couple possessions away from the Elite 8 in 3 short seasons

Talent Level and Age/Grade:
Nevada-Reno has pros on their roster from the Martin Twins, to Lindsey Drew, Jordan Caroline who will ALL be Seniors next year if they return.

Fit/Style of Play:
Nevada Reno plays Top 5 in terms of pace of play, top 3 in terms of ball screens set in Div. 1, in an advanced offensive system that is heavy on quick hitting NBA sets that are relative to nowadays style of play, where players play multiple positions and have to defend multiple positions.

Track Record for Success:
3 previous years:
2017-18: 29-8 (Sweet 16)
2016-17 28-7 (2nd Rd. of NCAA Tourney)
2015-16 24-14 Won CBI

Schedule Strength:
Nevada-Reno is playing a home and home with Alabama
Nevada-Reno is playing a home and home with Oregon
Nevada-Reno is playing at the Staples Center vs. Arizona State
Nevada-Reno is playing at the Golden 1 Center vs. a Power 5 conference
Other HM road games also scheduled yet to be disclosed

The goal is to be better prepared for college starting from Day 1 and a lot goes into it, making a decision that best fits the individual, and not pleasing other people's egos who aren't actually involved in the process.

Instead of putting down Jordan's decision to play National/Prep his senior year (Prolific Prep) and choosing Nevada-Reno as his college choice, take a few minutes and do some research, maybe speak to the kid or the parents of the kid and really understand who he is and what his thought process is and what is important to the parents and the individual.

Last edited:
You need to read better.

This board is about opinions. You have one and I have one. Sounds like I hit a nerve. Nobody said anything about his UNR choice. Actually made the most sense. Didn't I say Musselman has NBA ties? Didn't I say they will be better than every pac12 team. Didn't I say I think he would be a 20 and 10 guy right away? Everybody saw what sort of season they had and run in NCAA. A lot of those true offers were off the table by the date he made his decision as well. So the Reno choice was pretty obvious considering CAL/ZONA.

I don't agree with the PP thing. Didn't change anything for him. Did he climb higher in the rating polls? No. Sorry you can write all you want. He would have had similar comp in the summer and offseason when he was playing on the circuit. Look at the talent level in the open D1 in both the north and south. Its not like he would have cruised through the playoffs at WC either. Nothing changes. Guy like that gets the best training anyway. Keep drinking the cool aid.

You need to read better.

This board is about opinions. You have one and I have one. Sounds like I hit a nerve. Nobody said anything about his UNR choice. Actually made the most sense. Didn't I say Musselman has NBA ties? Didn't I say they will be better than every pac12 team. Didn't I say I think he would be a 20 and 10 guy right away? Everybody saw what sort of season they had and run in NCAA. A lot of those true offers were off the table by the date he made his decision as well. So the Reno choice was pretty obvious considering CAL/ZONA.

I don't agree with the PP thing. Didn't change anything for him. Did he climb higher in the rating polls? No. Sorry you can write all you want. He would have had similar comp in the summer and offseason when he was playing on the circuit. Look at the talent level in the open D1 in both the north and south. Its not like he would have cruised through the playoffs at WC either. Nothing changes. Guy like that gets the best training anyway. Keep drinking the cool aid.
UCLA would have been a great choice as well. If we’re talking PAC 12 schools why just Cal and Arizona?

Alford shouldn't have a job. He's horrible considering the talent they get. Also I think UCLA was off the table by the time Brown committed. (Oneal kid had just committed). I think UNR is a great choice. I just don't think he mattered that he went to PP. He will be in the league one day either way.

Alford shouldn't have a job. He's horrible considering the talent they get. Also I think UCLA was off the table by the time Brown committed. (Oneal kid had just committed). I think UNR is a great choice. I just don't think he mattered that he went to PP. He will be in the league one day either way.
Totally agree about Alford. That goes for their AD Dan Guerrero as well.

Totally agree about Alford. That goes for their AD Dan Guerrero as well.

Ditto from this longtime Bruins fan. Only good thing about Alford is that he keeps landing bigtime recruits... But then they rarely look really ready to play come gametime (except for that Kentucky upset).

Guerrero seems to be in love with the sports that almost nobody cares about like soccer and gymnastics. And he has been quoted saying he just doesn't like basketball all that much.

My guess 99% of UCLA fans would give away all those small-sport banners (something like 100) in trade for just one more basketball or football title.

Reactions: remc
Ditto from this longtime Bruins fan. Only good thing about Alford is that he keeps landing bigtime recruits... But then they rarely look really ready to play come gametime (except for that Kentucky upset).

Guerrero seems to be in love with the sports that almost nobody cares about like soccer and gymnastics. And he has been quoted saying he just doesn't like basketball all that much.

My guess 99% of UCLA fans would give away all those small-sport banners (something like 100) in trade for just one more basketball or football title.
He better fall in love with the 2 Revenue producing sports;football and basketball.

For the sake of full disclosure, I’m a huge Bruin basketball fan, and I keep a close eye on Bruin football, had a couple relatives who played. But I’m a HUGE USC football fan. Been that way since I was a kid. UC system alumni fwiw

Was very shocked when he passed up David Grace for the associate head coaching position. Grace brought in big time recruits, and huge respect within the LA Basin. Probably coast him the big kid from Chino Hills that commited to USC.

You need to read better.

the most important thing he said that you missed is he is getting far better comp during practices and games where he went.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT