ADVERTISEMENT

Last Friday without football, Predictions Anyone?

Aug 13, 2021
7 on 7 games and passing league competitions are over with, the shirt and shorts evals are behind us, and the pads have finally come on for teams all around the Central Coast Section. An exciting time indeed; so I figured why not give my unasked for 2 cents on how things will play out this year with some “not so early” rankings/predictions. Enjoy and let me know where I completely missed the mark!

BVAL:
Mt. Hammy (A league):

Live Oak
Leland
Oak Grove
Piedmont Hills
Silver Creek
Santa Teresa
Lincoln
Overfelt

I see Live Oak capitalizing on what one would consider a “down” year for Oak Grove. IMO the Title is between LO and Leland. Leland returns the league's top rusher who is back and has obviously hit the weightroom this summer. Behind a solid OL he will be a force to be reckoned with. Although Leland has athletes on the perimeter, Live Oak’s defense will get it done in their H2H matchup and their offense will do a solid job at clock management. Live Oak doesn’t have any standout freak athletes, but from what I have seen they are very well rounded across the board with solid coaching to go with it. I see the last Automatic spot as a toss up between PH and SC, SC showed flashes at times last year with extraordinary athletes and PH always finds a way to consistently be in the mix. ST is going through a coaching transition which could potentially be great two years from now but a transition is a transition especially in the A league. Lincoln and Overfelt round out the bottom of the A league. Lincoln’s scheme will keep them in games, but I don’t see them making the post season.

Santa Teresa (B League):
Leigh
Pioneer
Branham
Sobrato
Westmont
Independance
Willow Glen
Prospect

Leigh going undefeated in the spring set the tempo and sent a message that they are not to be taken lightly this upcoming year. Beating each team by an average of 30 points. As a program they went 9-1 this spring, so their JV team was no pushover. Pioneer has made some noise this summer in some passing/7on7 tournaments this summer but that is what it is, 7’s. Also heard a rumor that they lost their top WR so that is a blow to the Mustangs. Branham had a solid playoff run the year before the pandemic however, that seems to be a lifetime and whole generation ago. They replace a CCS leading passer, But return a dynamic pass rusher who was voted as Soph of the year and already has PAC-12 scholarship offers. Sobrato is a pretty interesting team, this spring they went 1-4 and were in extremely close contests the rest of the season. They were three plays and a blown lead away from going 4-1. Relatively young, returning a QB, WR, and the Freshman of the year ball carrier. Westmont, Indy, WG, and Prospect will put up good games, however, I see them rounding out the bottom of the ST division with either ‘down/rebuilding years’ or transition at HC. Bottom line is it will come down to Branham and Sobrato for the at-large playoff berth Their H2H could determine a lot for this league where I see Leigh being the run ahead favorite.

West Valley (C League):
Andrew Hill
Gunderson
Mount Pleasant
Evergreen Valley
Del Mar
Yerba Buena
James Lick
San Jose

For the Automatic spot here I am going with Andrew Hill. Although it's a toss up IMO with Hill and Gunderson and that week 8 matchup could very well determine the C league champion, Hill will have the athletes and Gunderson will have a solid scheme. With that being said, Evergreen Valley shouldn’t be counted out either; they are a true darkhorse in this league. Otherwise for the West Valley it is the same song, different verse.

PCAL:
Gabilan (A League):
Aptos 1430
Palma 694 / 1388
Salinas 2707
San Benito 3277
Christopher 1739
Monte Vista Christian 553
Alisal 3038
Alvarez 2247
Seaside 1032

It’s no secret who the Big 4 are in this league; the 4 automatic spots are almost always going to be the big 4. Another team or two may get an at-large berth due to playing at least 8 league games and an A league champion. A Team could quite possibly go 4-6 from this league and still make the playoffs ( a la Milpitas ‘19). I know I’ll ruffle some feathers here, But I think last year's Aptos team was the most underrated or overlooked team in the CCS last season they had the formula of a championship team Two platoon, stingy defense and a road grading offense not to mention big play ability on special teams. With a Returning QB and leading rusher, they are my favorite to win this league.
Palma would be my other choice to take the top spot. With a return QB with a plethora of weapons including a massive TE, a big physical WR and an up and coming Sophomore phenom with a State and National championship bloodline.
San Benito could make some noise early with a new offense they got to iron out over the course of the spring season as well as what seems like a star-studded defense which includes two long, rangy, athletic cornerbacks and thick/physical linebackers, could test the patience of some offenses.
Christopher is going through a coaching change as their former coach headed across town to their rival HS, Alvarez is also in a HC Transition, and Salinas seems to be a power year in and year out, their choice of schedule playing Wing T power Placer HS and Run heavy/flexbone Half Moon Bay in the preseason will definitely have them ready to face the run game.
Alisal is going to be an interesting team to watch, their offensive scheme will keep them in games and allow them to chew clock. Which brings me to MVC with a population of half of the 2nd smallest school in Gabilan. I’m sure as a private school they get some decent students but at a school size of 553 (which is down from 2018’s 950) There’s no way that ¼ of the whole school plays football. They have no business playing schools 2, 4, even 5 times their size. That’s just criminal. The Big 4 and Christopher make it to the playoffs. Maybe one more team as a 2nd at large.

Mission (B League):
Santa Cruz
Carmel
Gilroy
Soquel
Monterey
North Salinas
Soledad
Gonzales

This may come to a shock to many, especially those former mbaypreps fellas, but I’m taking Santa Cruz to win the Mission. Yes, over Carmel. They return a stacked squad that include a Smart QB, a herd runner at RB who has to have packed on 15lbs of muscle this summer and arguably the best WR in the CCS, No, i’m not exaggerating. The most overlooked WR in the section forsure, has become an absolute bully over the summer turning heads at the Palo Alto passing Tourney due to physical appearance and athletic ability. C. Womack is poised to have a breakout year. Carmel’s coaches will have them ready to make a run, I don’t see them missing the playoffs, but Santa Cruz is going to be a tough matchup for them. Gilroy brings in a cross town coach and alumni who is back home and looking to bring his alma mater to prominence, and Soquel is going to be relatively young, they had about 4-5 Freshman playing varsity last year including an absolute unit at DE and RB 6’3” about 215lbs. Monterey is a question mark having not had a season in the spring but always has talent and North Salinas has been stagnant in this league the last few seasons. Soledad and Gonzo are looking to rebuild after losing their HC and Hiring new guys. All in all, the Mission goes through Santa Cruz.

Cypress (B League):
King City
Scotts Valley
San Lorenzo Valley
North Monterey County
Watsonville
Pacific Grove
Rancho San Juan

This league in all reality is a C+ / B-- league. I see King City, which made a little bit of noise this spring beating Carmel and posting nearly 60 points. Another team to look at getting the automatic spot from this league would be Scotts Valley. Scotts Valley posted an undefeated 5-0 spring record in Santa Cruz County's lower tier division.The rest of the teams are transitioning with a new HC SLV didn’t even want to step on the field with an A league opponent last year. They forfeited; and Rancho San Juan Is literally establishing their football team in what will be their inaugural varsity football season. King City vs Scotts Valley for the Cypress title and I don’t think Scotts Valley is stopping King City's offense.

Santa Lucia (C League)
Saint Francis of Watsonville
Greenfield
Marina
Stevenson
Pajaro Valley
Harbor

This C league, although underwhelming, might be pretty competitive. I put Saint Francis at the top of this list due to the success of their JV team last year, they should have a lot of talent coming up. Greenfield is typically a scrappy team that plays teams tough. Rumour has it that Marina will have some players from the coast headed their way that would typically head to Seaside/Monterey, Turning of the tide here? Stevenson is always a team that is in the mix to win the league title but it can not finish. Looks like they also lost their Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach. They do get great student athletes but money can't buy you wins.

PAL:
Bay (A-League):
Menlo Atherton
Half Moon Bay
Sacred Heart Prep
Burlingame
Terra Nova
The King's Academy

This is a pretty well rounded league from top to bottom, it could arguably be the most competitive league in the section. Menlo-Atherton is stacked with athletes that will give coordinators fits. SHP is always going to be well coached with tough kids. The phenomenon that is HMB is still alive and well and returning with better athletes. Burlingame and their Wing T offense won the Palo Alto passing tourney this summer which you can take with a grain of salt. I haven’t heard much about TN but they are always, consistently in the mix and find ways to make the playoffs. The team that’s the most up in the air for me has to be TKA, they will be well-coached, that's not a secret, but they are losing their core group of guys that have brought them to prominence in recent years. They will be an interesting team to watch.

CONTINUED..

Ocean (B-League):
Menlo School
Aragon
Hillsdale
Jefferson
San Mateo
Capuchino

I have Menlo School leading the way in the Ocean, they are coming off a spring season where they dominated league opponents and only lost to Sacred Heart Prep. Right on their tail I’d put Aragon, It will be one of those years where we see an Aragon team with dudes on it! When they get those teams every few years they are tough to beat. Hillsdale has consistently been a solid team in this league and could quite possibly make a run and shock some teams. Jefferson is an up and coing team, they might be a year away from really competing with the top teams in the Ocean.

Lake (C-League):
Mills
El Camino
Carlmont
Woodside
Sequoia
South San Francisco

I’m going to go with Mills here, last time the CCS had playoffs, they were in it. They also have the toughest game on their schedule opening up the season vs Aptos. Idk who allowed that to happen, but it is not a typo. El Camino seems to be on an upward trend since the transition at HC and should be competitive and it appears that Carlmont may be on their way to finding their groove again. I’m calling a Mills C league championship, compared to their season opener their remaining 9 games should be a lot safer bets

SCVAL:
DeAnza (A-League)
Los Gatos
Wilcox
Palo Alto
Milpitas
Homestead
Mt. View
Santa Clara

This is yet another A-League with a ‘Big 4’ Year in and year out you can count on the top 4 staying consistent with a change in order. I don’t see anyone stopping Los Gatos this year with scholarship players, and established championship culture and schemes that puts other teams in binds. They are my pick to take it all in the DeAnza. Wilcox is right on their tail with returning ball carriers that run hard and find the endzone. Palo Alto takes the third spot, consistently good with a top class program. And in 4th place Milpitas, we will have to see what version of milpitas we get this year. Even though I harped on the Big 4 this may be a 2 man race come weeks 8-10.

El Camino (B-League):
Gunn
Monta Vista
Saratoga
Los Altos
Cupertino
Fremont
Lynbrook

One of the most impressive stories coming from the spring season from the lower tier teams (sorry to refer to it that way but let's call a spade a spade) Anyway, Gunn got a new coach, new offense, and went to work. They went undefeated and absolutely steamrolled teams most of which are in this league, one being in the DeAnza. If that doesn’t create buy in and set a standard moving forward idk what will. If they can stay on the track that’s been laid and build on that foundation not only will they win their league, but their offense can keep them in games with superior opponents in the playoffs.

WCAL:
Serra
Valley Christian
St. Francis
Bellarmine
St. Ignatius
Archbishop Mitty
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Archbishop Riordan

Which brings us to the big bullies on campus, it’s no secret that the WCAL is the toughest league with arguably the more superior setups and systems for student-athlete success. I’m calling the WCAL a two-man race this year. St. Francis will always field a top WCAL team that's no surprise they will be in the mix for a top 3 finish. Bellarmine has also made strides under a new coach who takes over for a CA coaching legend. However, this year I predict it will be a heavyweight fight between VC and Serra. VC has a lot returning including arguably one of the most talented young WRs in the Section let alone State. However, Serra just has too much fire power, they are just loaded. With a returning Player of the Year, who is racking in scholarship offers by the day, to an offensive line that makes All-Pro David Bahktiri look like a regular-sized human (He isn’t). God Willing, this year's Serra team will most likely be playing the long game if CIF decides to have State Championships return.

As you can tell, I’m just as anxious as this season to start as anyone. It will be a breath of fresh air reloading my MaxPreps web browser every Friday night looking at who beat who and for any upsets on Friday nights. However, the most important thing in this is that our kids and the future leaders of our communities are able to participate in a full season of athletics again that brings along with it Social experiences, accountability, and growth. We're two weeks out! One more Friday without CCS Football! See you guys under the lights!

CONTINUED..

Ocean (B-League):
Menlo School
Aragon
Hillsdale
Jefferson
San Mateo
Capuchino

I have Menlo School leading the way in the Ocean, they are coming off a spring season where they dominated league opponents and only lost to Sacred Heart Prep. Right on their tail I’d put Aragon, It will be one of those years where we see an Aragon team with dudes on it! When they get those teams every few years they are tough to beat. Hillsdale has consistently been a solid team in this league and could quite possibly make a run and shock some teams. Jefferson is an up and coing team, they might be a year away from really competing with the top teams in the Ocean.

Lake (C-League):
Mills
El Camino
Carlmont
Woodside
Sequoia
South San Francisco

I’m going to go with Mills here, last time the CCS had playoffs, they were in it. They also have the toughest game on their schedule opening up the season vs Aptos. Idk who allowed that to happen, but it is not a typo. El Camino seems to be on an upward trend since the transition at HC and should be competitive and it appears that Carlmont may be on their way to finding their groove again. I’m calling a Mills C league championship, compared to their season opener their remaining 9 games should be a lot safer bets

SCVAL:
DeAnza (A-League)
Los Gatos
Wilcox
Palo Alto
Milpitas
Homestead
Mt. View
Santa Clara

This is yet another A-League with a ‘Big 4’ Year in and year out you can count on the top 4 staying consistent with a change in order. I don’t see anyone stopping Los Gatos this year with scholarship players, and established championship culture and schemes that puts other teams in binds. They are my pick to take it all in the DeAnza. Wilcox is right on their tail with returning ball carriers that run hard and find the endzone. Palo Alto takes the third spot, consistently good with a top class program. And in 4th place Milpitas, we will have to see what version of milpitas we get this year. Even though I harped on the Big 4 this may be a 2 man race come weeks 8-10.

El Camino (B-League):
Gunn
Monta Vista
Saratoga
Los Altos
Cupertino
Fremont
Lynbrook

One of the most impressive stories coming from the spring season from the lower tier teams (sorry to refer to it that way but let's call a spade a spade) Anyway, Gunn got a new coach, new offense, and went to work. They went undefeated and absolutely steamrolled teams most of which are in this league, one being in the DeAnza. If that doesn’t create buy in and set a standard moving forward idk what will. If they can stay on the track that’s been laid and build on that foundation not only will they win their league, but their offense can keep them in games with superior opponents in the playoffs.

WCAL:
Serra
Valley Christian
St. Francis
Bellarmine
St. Ignatius
Archbishop Mitty
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Archbishop Riordan

Which brings us to the big bullies on campus, it’s no secret that the WCAL is the toughest league with arguably the more superior setups and systems for student-athlete success. I’m calling the WCAL a two-man race this year. St. Francis will always field a top WCAL team that's no surprise they will be in the mix for a top 3 finish. Bellarmine has also made strides under a new coach who takes over for a CA coaching legend. However, this year I predict it will be a heavyweight fight between VC and Serra. VC has a lot returning including arguably one of the most talented young WRs in the Section let alone State. However, Serra just has too much fire power, they are just loaded. With a returning Player of the Year, who is racking in scholarship offers by the day, to an offensive line that makes All-Pro David Bahktiri look like a regular-sized human (He isn’t). God Willing, this year's Serra team will most likely be playing the long game if CIF decides to have State Championships return.

As you can tell, I’m just as anxious as this season to start as anyone. It will be a breath of fresh air reloading my MaxPreps web browser every Friday night looking at who beat who and for any upsets on Friday nights. However, the most important thing in this is that our kids and the future leaders of our communities are able to participate in a full season of athletics again that brings along with it Social experiences, accountability, and growth. We're two weeks out! One more Friday without CCS Football! See you guys under the lights!
Very well done!!!! Looking forward to an uninterrupted CCS FB season.

Bval- Nice job doing your homework and coming up with a couple of surprises ( predictions). The only league that I would question would be the Santa Lucia (PCAL C league) I understand Marina won't even be fielding a varsity team this season and I think Stevenson has to many athletes to finish that low. My two cents.

Reactions: BvalBooster
Bval- Nice job doing your homework and coming up with a couple of surprises ( predictions). The only league that I would question would be the Santa Lucia (PCAL C league) I understand Marina won't even be fielding a varsity team this season and I think Stevenson has to many athletes to finish that low. My two cents.
Good point, I forgot they had the winner of this springs CCS championships 100m dash in track and field. He’s a speedster!

Reactions: Prepwisdom
WCAL:
Serra
Valley Christian
St. Francis
Bellarmine
St. Ignatius
Archbishop Mitty
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Archbishop Riordan

I looked at CalPreps. They have Serra, VC and St. Francis in the top 3, then SI at 4th which I don't think will happen. They have SHC finishing 5th followed by Riordan, Mitty then Bellarmine. I don't see the Bells finishing last.

I looked at CalPreps. They have Serra, VC and St. Francis in the top 3, then SI at 4th which I don't think will happen. They have SHC finishing 5th followed by Riordan, Mitty then Bellarmine. I don't see the Bells finishing last.
Jury still out on the Bells, though it's good they have some young talent and a coaching staff full of former Bells. Don't have much to go on except for last season's shortened season, but my pre-season WCAL order of finish (assuming no significant injuries) are:
  1. Serra
  2. St. Francis
  3. Valley Christian
  4. St. Ignatius
  5. Bellarmine
  6. Mitty
  7. Sacred Heart Cathedral
  8. Riordan
Cheers, btw - always liked the NY Jets-style helmet logo the Irish wore years ago.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Looking forward to Rmbr26's, annual WCAL assessment, breakdown and order of finish.

Dr. Rambo is, far and away, the go-to guru when it comes to the papal powers. He wears his red cardinal's hat with pride and panache. The pope may be infallible on faith and morals, but The Rambling Dude assumes that chore regarding the WCAL.

CONTINUED..

Ocean (B-League):
Menlo School
Aragon
Hillsdale
Jefferson
San Mateo
Capuchino

Lake (C-League):
Mills
El Camino
Carlmont
Woodside
Sequoia
South San Francisco

SCVAL:
DeAnza (A-League)
Los Gatos
Wilcox
Palo Alto
Milpitas
Homestead
Mt. View
Santa Clara

El Camino (B-League):
Gunn
Monta Vista
Saratoga
Los Altos
Cupertino
Fremont
Lynbrook

WCAL:
Serra
Valley Christian
St. Francis
Bellarmine
St. Ignatius
Archbishop Mitty
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Archbishop Riordan

Regarding the PAL's Lake Division, it should be noted that Mills could not field a team during the spring season. Numbers there are way down. You have to wonder if the Aug. 27 date with Aptos will be an actual game or a scrimmage _ or whether the two teams will meet at all.

Regarding the PAL's Lake Division, it should be noted that Mills could not field a team during the spring season. Numbers there are way down. You have to wonder if the Aug. 27 date with Aptos will be an actual game or a scrimmage _ or whether the two teams will meet at all.
Very good point, even if they field a team with possible low numbers they might take the SLV route.. SLV Forfeited their spring league contest vs Aptos. They were sure two play the following two weeks though against Pajaro Valley and Harbor. Headsets must have been broken that week.

Reactions: RLS13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT