ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s talk about...James Akinjo

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
Akinjo doing some remarkable things at Georgetown. Probably one of the best freshman players they have had since Alonzo Mourning.

The kid is a pass first guard, and by being such is opening up the court a ton for his teammates Mourning Jr and Mcclung.

Really excited to see how Akinjo does in terms of NBA scouts. I mean right now it would be hard to find too many PGs playing better than Akinjo!

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Really fine player but whoaaaaa....... Alonzo. Lets not even use him in the same sentence. HOF. Zo was must see TV at GTOWN back in the day. Sorry I will watch AKINJO because I love the way he plays but most people have never heard of him.

Really fine player but whoaaaaa....... Alonzo. Lets not even use him in the same sentence. HOF. Zo was must see TV at GTOWN back in the day. Sorry I will watch AKINJO because I love the way he plays but most people have never heard of him.

He didn’t even compare Akinjo to Alonzo. He clearly said Akinjo is the best freshman G’Town has had since Alonzo. You always find a way to put a twist on something or down talk a kid.

He didn’t even compare Akinjo to Alonzo. He clearly said Akinjo is the best freshman G’Town has had since Alonzo. You always find a way to put a twist on something or down talk a kid.
Allen Iverson, Jeff green and victor page might disagree as well. Akinjo is a nice freshman guard. He’s a solid college guard. I hope he makes the league but I’d be shocked if it were this year or next. Must get his turnovers under control (although he’s been better as of late) and struggles with length. Definitely fun to watch though.

The IQ on this board as really gone down hill over the years. I'm a huge Salesian fan and Akinjo. Everybody knows that. I'm also realistic. He's a fine player and is going great. But if you think a lot of people in America know of him like Zo or some others after him you are crazy. Most people outside of Norcal preps have never heard of him unless you are a huge hoop junkie. GTOWN is not who they were when I was growing up. Hell they lost to LMU. They would come in 3rd of 4th in the WCC this year. I wouldn't surprise if he makes the league and I also wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Ford does as well.

The IQ on this board as really gone down hill over the years. I'm a huge Salesian fan and Akinjo. Everybody knows that. I'm also realistic. He's a fine player and is going great. But if you think a lot of people in America know of him like Zo or some others after him you are crazy. Most people outside of Norcal preps have never heard of him unless you are a huge hoop junkie. GTOWN is not who they were when I was growing up. Hell they lost to LMU. They would come in 3rd of 4th in the WCC this year. I wouldn't surprise if he makes the league and I also wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Ford does as well.

The IQ on this board? Isn’t everything opinion based. I simply restated what he said in his post. You act like your some basketball guru. Probably Just a hoop junkie like the rest of us. Humble yourself man. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. James Akinjo was ranked in top 80 on every scouting service websit. Peach jam MVP. Played on national television several times. Won big east freshman of the week multiple times. But people outside of norcalpreps doesn’t know him? You’re sad man.

No he didn't say Akinjo was the best freshman since Alonzo. He said ONE of the best, if he said the best that would mean better than Iverson.

The IQ on this board? Isn’t everything opinion based. I simply restated what he said in his post. You act like your some basketball guru. Probably Just a hoop junkie like the rest of us. Humble yourself man. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. James Akinjo was ranked in top 80 on every scouting service websit. Peach jam MVP. Played on national television several times. Won big east freshman of the week multiple times. But people outside of norcalpreps doesn’t know him? You’re sad man.

The only evidence really needed are the YouTube videos with thousands upon thousands of views. Pretty sure that they weren't watch by people ONLY in norcal.

James is playing really well overall, although he must cut down on his turnovers and improve his decision making, particularly at the end of the game where he arguably cost them a couple of wins with poor decisions. He has a bright future and many Hoyas fans are very happy about him, including me.

However, that being said, he is not close to one of the best freshmen since Alonzo. Off the top of my head . . . Othella Harrington, Allen Iverson, Victor Page, Jahidi White, Ed Sheffey, Kenny Brunner, Kevin Braswell, Mike Sweetney, Brandon Bowman, Tony Bethel, Jeff Green, DaJuan Summers, Austin Freeman, Greg Monroe, Otto Porter, DSR, and Mac McClung have all had comparable or better freshman years. Is he probably one of the 20-25 best freshman to put on the blue and gray in the last 30 years. Yes. Is he one of hte best since Zo, definitely not. The best Georgetown frosh since Zo were Othella AI, Victor, Big Mike Sweetney, Jeff Green and Greg Monroe. James is not in that class. Although he has the potential to be one of the great Hoyas and is certainly the best Hoya out of Nor Cal that I can remember (others were Stephen Domingo, Wesley Wilson, and Sead Dizdarevic - not sure who else).

Like I said all opinion based. He is the favorite to win freshman of the year. If they make any kind of tourney run that could help his status as well. Basketball is all opinionated guys. Let’s be real. Some of those guys you named didn’t have that good of freshman years to me. Nor did some of the guys you named won freshman of the year.

I missed Iverson. Will be hard to ever match what he did at Gtown, but Akinjo is way more of a pass first guard than AI was.

Actually AI was pretty close to akinjo in assists per game. Allen averaged almost 5 assists a game as a frosh. Jerome Williams, Othella Harrington and Jahidi White. AI has 3 nba caliber big men to pass it to.

And at this point, as good as Janes is playing, it remains to be seen whether Akinjo is the best, second best or even third best freshman on his team, much less in the Big East conference. That being said he is doing a great job, but so are Josh and Mac. Hauser and Zerarowski are also having great frosh campaigns for Marquette and Creighton

Reactions: ayalar09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT