ADVERTISEMENT

Major knee injury to Mitty's Hernandez

Winning Is Fun

Superstar
Oct 5, 2018
Just learned that Hunter Hernandez blew out her knee this past week. From what I hear, she tore her acl, mcl, and dislocated her knee cap. It must have been a very bad looking injury. This cannot be goo . Can anyone confirm?

My prayers go out to her for a speedy recovery.

You are telling me that they can not come up with a flexible knee brace that would help prevent these sort of injuries? But then people in the medical field tend to lack creativity.

That is too bad. Hope she heals quickly. The incident rate for knee injuries with females is really alarming. Lots of studies have gone into the "why" like the nature of hips for mother bearing but certainly seems like preventive equipment and/or exercises haven't caught up.

Another parent whose daughter tore her ACL sent me an article similar to this one when Sierra tore her ACL, MCL, and meniscus. We talked to several other moms whose daughters sustained ACL/knee injuries and found out almost all of them were on their cycle, had just came off of their cycle, or started their cycle within a day or two before the injury occurred.

https://www.shape.com/fitness/tips/scary-reasons-women-are-more-likely-tear-their-acls

By the time some of these kids head off to college, they have played at least 400 official ballgames (not to mention full practices, workouts, scrimmages, etc.). And that's a conservative estimated. Something has to give at some point.

By the time some of these kids head off to college, they have played at least 400 official ballgames (not to mention full practices, workouts, scrimmages, etc.). And that's a conservative estimated. Something has to give at some point.

Very conservative. The average player who gets on a club in 4th grade that plays in tournaments 2 times a month with a 3 game minimum has played 360 games before high school. Add in another 120 games for high school at a conservative 30 games a year schedule. Toss in another 96 games for club in HS (8 tournaments over the summer with a 4 game minimum over 3 years), and you're looking at 576 official games before college. That's the equivalent of playing the last two year run of of the Notre Dame women's basketball team seven and a half times.

And something is giving. The players' bodies are giving out and no one seems to be doing anything about it.

Reactions: coachlittle
Very conservative. The average player who gets on a club in 4th grade that plays in tournaments 2 times a month with a 3 game minimum has played 360 games before high school. Add in another 120 games for high school at a conservative 30 games a year schedule. Toss in another 96 games for club in HS (8 tournaments over the summer with a 4 game minimum over 3 years), and you're looking at 576 official games before college. That's the equivalent of playing the last two year run of of the Notre Dame women's basketball team seven and a half times.

And something is giving. The players' bodies are giving out and no one seems to be doing anything about it.

I agree on the premise that players coming up are playing TOO MANY games. I think specialization leads to this and increases the chances of injuries and/or burnout.

One thing I will challenge is the intensity isn't the same for all of the games. And very few if any are played at an intensity level of a college game.

A system where we play less games, but they are more competitive when we do play is something that should improve development and lessen injury risk (though much of the risk can't be eliminated).

Is the rate of injuries/girls playing actually going up? Or do we just have more girls playing now than ever before?

If there is a certain % of injury that is just going to happen regardless then if more girls are playing the number of injuries will go up.

Does anybody have the actual numbers vs the %?
Perhaps some empirical evidence?

Just curious

It was a contact play.. nothing to do with cycles, hips, too many games, strength training, etc. (although I do understand your points)

It was a fairly dirty play that resulted in the injury. I watched it on BallerTV. Probably still up there if you have a log in. You will see it was not a normal hyperextension, twist, awkward landing, or knee to knee contact that lead to the injury.

As mentioned in another thread, lack of understanding about player development, primarily from parents, is a huge issue. Playing club basketball costs money, and if a coach says "We're going to practice twice a week for two months, and then play one tournament" -- which would be great for player development, assuming the coach was competent in that aspect of coaching -- most parents will move to a different club. (And players want to play, not practice ...)

The system is driven by the market, and the market is determined by parents, and parents often don't distinguish between wins and player development. They prefer the former and think the latter comes by playing lots of games ... but in fact, the best games to play are pickup games with older guys, in terms of player development, and finding a coach who can teach fundamentals (ask them about footwork) is crucial.

It was a contact play.. nothing to do with cycles, hips, too many games, strength training, etc. (although I do understand your points)

It was a fairly dirty play that resulted in the injury. I watched it on BallerTV. Probably still up there if you have a log in. You will see it was not a normal hyperextension, twist, awkward landing, or knee to knee contact that lead to the injury.

Was it a Paul George/Shaun Livingston like injury? I really hope her career is not over. But if she tore everything it's going to be a very long road to recovery. I feel so bad for such a good player.

I agree on the premise that players coming up are playing TOO MANY games. I think specialization leads to this and increases the chances of injuries and/or burnout.

One thing I will challenge is the intensity isn't the same for all of the games. And very few if any are played at an intensity level of a college game.

A system where we play less games, but they are more competitive when we do play is something that should improve development and lessen injury risk (though much of the risk can't be eliminated).

I think the specialization plays a role, but I think the lack of rest is the real culprit. You now have kids who practice 3 days a week, spend another day with a shooting coach, another day with a strength and conditioning coach, and then play in a tournament on the weekend as a youth. Then they switch their club practices for high school practice, but don't drop the trainer work. Once the high school season is over, it's back to club routine, but now they have to fit in high school practices as well. When does their body have time to rest and recover?

I would agree about intensity to a point. Sure, it's not a tough game when a powerhouse plays a weak squad. But there are plenty of teams out there that lean heavily on their star to do it all. Every game is intense for those players, because they know if they do less that their best, their team will lose.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
This sort of thing is especially heartbreaking because these girls work so hard to get to the point they are at. Then in a blink of an eye all that work goes down the drain.

What is the impact on something like this with respect to colleges that have already extended her offers of a scholarship? Since she hasn't accepted any of them, I assume they can withdraw them. Just hypothetically, what if she had "committed".

What is the impact on something like this with respect to colleges that have already extended her offers of a scholarship? Since she hasn't accepted any of them, I assume they can withdraw them. Just hypothetically, what if she had "committed".

I believe verbal commitments do not mean a thing. Until you sign on that dotted line senior year I am pretty sure you can withdraw the offer.

Many colleges over offer players and first players that commit win!

Reactions: Common Sense1
Usually, a young player will recover almost completely from an ACL, so the commitments usually remain.

I hope not ...

MCL should heal completely, but the kneecap could be a longterm issue because the patellar tendon might be torn and patellar tendinitis is particularly nasty in terms of pain.

I hope not ...

MCL should heal completely, but the kneecap could be a longterm issue because the patellar tendon might be torn and patellar tendinitis is particularly nasty in terms of pain.

I meant torn PCL, along with acl and mcl. I hope not either.

I think it depends on how you practice. If your practices are 60 minutes of scrimmaging, plus some running segments, overuse is an issue. If your practices are 60 minutes of shooting and ballhandling, with no sprint segments, and 20 minutes of scrimmaging, then I'm not sure it's that big an issue.

Limiting practice to 3x a week during high school could reduce overuse injuries as well.

Unfortunately, that's a double edged sword. While it would help the high profile teams who have kids who go out and play club ball and walk into the season in relatively good shape (minus the injuries from the club season), it would hurt the mid level and small teams who use every moment they can get from the day school starts to get their players into shape for the season.

I don't feel limiting practice time during the HS season is necessary, but I'm a big believer in kids playing multiple sports, especially if those sports work different parts of the body. My daughter was water polo, basketball and swimming through HS. Getting off the court after summer AAU and into the pool gave her knees, ankles and back a break without any loss of fitness. Where I coach now, we give special awards for three sport athletes.

When I was in school, most kids played three sports; never knew anyone with overuse injuries. Now we have so many coaches pressuring young kids to concentrate on one sport, even in elementary school.

My friends daughter plays for USA basketball, she plays all year around and practices and works out more than anyone I know. I believe that knee injuries happen and always have happen, there are more players now in all sports so there is a natural increase in injuries. Players land wrong, twist the wrong way and the knee goes. I tore my acl/mcl by stepping on a foot during a game. Staying in shape and stretching will help but accidents happen and along with come injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT