ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating the WCAL

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Lots of luck. Officiating a WCAL hoops contest is next to impossible. It doesn't matter how many referees are involved. These games rapidly become wrestling matches and grotesque hack-a-thons shortly after the opening tip. They are street brawls waiting to happen. The refs, by and large, are stuck; they can either "let the kids play" (in other words, allow them to pound one another with abandon) or call the game tight to prevent serious bodily harm and potential felonious assaults. One can only hope that the participants possess good medical insurance, not to mention a personal injury barrister.

Lots of luck. Officiating a WCAL hoops contest is next to impossible. It doesn't matter how many referees are involved. These games rapidly become wrestling matches and grotesque hack-a-thons shortly after the opening tip. They are street brawls waiting to happen. The refs, by and large, are stuck; they can either "let the kids play" (in other words, allow them to pound one another with abandon) or call the game tight to prevent serious bodily harm and potential felonious assaults. One can only hope that the participants possess good medical insurance, not to mention a personal injury barrister.
ColHenry, did I miss something? Was there a particular incident(s) that occurred last night?

The first half of the Serra-SF game looked like something out of a MASH nightmare. Bodies crashing. Blood flowing. You name it.

Go watch some of the BV Easy, South, and West League atrocity on both the boys and girls side. A teams playing C teams due to two A league coaches spearheading the genius idea. Some games needing running clocks in second quarter. WCAL players may get physically injured but the BVAL players need CPS reports and Individual counseling after losing by 60 each time out.
Can you please Keep your BV filibustering to your own thread.
That's why there are different posts/threads

WCAL officiating has always been a play through contact league. Has not changed for 20 years. Has honestly affected them once NorCals start, as officials come state tournament are cautioned to call a tight game. A point of emphasis was put in a few years ago to call a tighter game, but the coaches (along with officials) were not liking it. So in name, the game is "called" tighter, but in reality, the way a WCAL contest is called has not changed. The unwritten rule: coaches dictate the way the game is called, not the fans. Just reality.

It has sometime been to there benefit also two years ago serra played moreau
in a norcal playoff and the physicality serra played with and got away with was clearly a factor
in the game so I can see both sides of it.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Football and wrestling are also physical sports. Are they grotesque as well?

I find it disheartening before each WCAL game, everyone stands up for the prayer and ends with "live Jesus in our hearts" and then when game starts you arent seeing much Jesus out there or even in the stands.

I find it disheartening before each WCAL game, everyone stands up for the prayer and ends with "live Jesus in our hearts" and then when game starts you arent seeing much Jesus out there or even in the stands.

The bellowed phrase, "Jesus Christ, that has to be a foul," was heard early and often Saturday night in Mountain View.

Didn't get a chance to watch the Serra-SF game Saturday night, but reading this thread I remembered it was recorded on NFHSnetwork. I'll post the link here to the game, but can't guarantee it will work for everyone - I have the yearly subscription so have access to everything on their site.

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/saint-francis-high-school-mountain-view-mountain-view-ca/6531a60178
The NFHS link you posted is from last year's contest. There appears to be some Periscope footage of a portion of the game in the Tweet section of the link.

The NFHS link you posted is from last year's contest. There appears to be some Periscope footage of a portion of the game in the Tweet section of the link.

Hmm, sorry about that - NFHS was supposed to live-stream last Saturday nite's game so didn;t think the recent BB video would be a year old. Cannot find the game just played either - only one shown is SF vs SI from 1/7/17.

I just found out why. It looks like most of Serra's games incl. JV are on BAOSN.TV
Here is their schedule:
http://baosn.tv/wp-content/uploads/baosn-schedule.pdf

The San Mateo Daily Journal headlines says it all "Serra Mauled by Archrival Saint Francis". He even mentions that "It didn’t help that the wildly physical game saw many blatant contact plays throughout the first half go as non-calls." -

Reactions: 5MatchUp
Let's just say the first half physicality would have made a Marine drill sergeant proud. At least one concussion protocol checkup, a bloody cranium, bodies flying, post play mayhem (both ways), you name it. If that stuff happened at the shopping center across Miramonte, the cops would have been called. Gadzooks.

It has sometime been to there benefit also two years ago serra played moreau
in a norcal playoff and the physicality serra played with and got away with was clearly a factor
in the game so I can see both sides of it.

In that particular game, Moreau was not prepared, played with little focus, lacked intensity and exhibited zero competitive fire. The alleged coaching staff sat on their duffs and allowed the game to careen beyond redemption by mid-way in the second period. It was malpractice all the way around. Pathetic effort.

Let's just say the first half physicality would have made a Marine drill sergeant proud. At least one concussion protocol checkup, a bloody cranium, bodies flying, post play mayhem (both ways), you name it. If that stuff happened at the shopping center across Miramonte, the cops would have been called. Gadzooks.
I spoke on this in 2013 year and got chewed out by posters lol! If i can recall it was a Mitty game at Serra and they were getting away with so much that it was hard to watch. I respect Rapp and he is a great coach, but he was constantly on the court with no warnings or no technical fouls. Bring your gloves out when you play at Serra!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT