ADVERTISEMENT

One of the all time greats gone

RIP to an all time great. Nice guy and a athletic freak. Top 10 all time lineman.

Alot of people don't know this, but Allen once played for Butte College way back in the day.
Rest is peace.

Here's wishing you great football
played for several high schools as well. so apparantly that was a thing before the internet too!

Larry Allen was my favorite player going up. And there has been some incredible highlights/stories shared in the past 24 hours.

And more than that, he just came off as a really good dude. Haven't seen many former pro athletes kind of blend in to a coaching staff/HS experience for his kid like Larry did at DLS

You can make a strong argument that Allen was the best Nor Cal Division II football player ever. His resume' speaks for itself.
I’m not sure who else would even be in the conversation. Ken O’Brien from UC Davis is probably a distant 2nd place? Another Aggie Rolf Benirschke was a decent NFL kicker for 10 years.

Reactions: concrete17
I’m not sure who else would even be in the conversation. Ken O’Brien from UC Davis is probably a distant 2nd place? Another Aggie Rolf Benirschke was a decent NFL kicker for 10 years.
I was thinking O’Brien or maybe Bo Eason, but the gap is massive.

Reactions: observer22
Humboldt State-Alex Cappa. Turning out to have a lengthy NFL career.

Sad… the chapter of D2 Football in California is closed. At least we have Juco football but many kids are missing out on experiences, degrees, ect… Also this has directly impacted the HS coaching here, go back 10-20+ years ago and prior and look how many NorCal HC’s and assistants were D2 alumni.
Off campus coaching is the norm at non competitive schools now.

Reactions: bella123
It's Grand Canyon wide. You could argue if he was from any SEC school he would be the greatest. We are talking SSU! The Cossacks. The Water Dogs.
But back in the 80's and early 90's there was some solid kids who played in that league. Its too bad that option isn't available anymore as @NCS707 pointed out.

Best D2 players of all time? DL Michael Strahan, at Texas Southern U. when D2 is among the best but would consider Allen better pro. Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State may have been D2 and would consider him ahead of Allen but both are among the best ever at their positions. Interestingly both played for same team 49ers

Best D2 players of all time? DL Michael Strahan, at Texas Southern U. when D2 is among the best but would consider Allen better pro. Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State may have been D2 and would consider him ahead of Allen but both are among the best ever at their positions. Interestingly both played for same team 49ers
Miss Valley State is D-1 AA/FCS and was when Rice was there.

NorCal DII.

Larry Allen was my favorite player going up. And there has been some incredible highlights/stories shared in the past 24 hours.

And more than that, he just came off as a really good dude. Haven't seen many former pro athletes kind of blend in to a coaching staff/HS experience for his kid like Larry did at DLS
I saw him play in College when I was at Chico State….. My Buddy played LB for Chico and I asked him once what is it like to hit Larry Allen…. He Said “I don’t really know because I do everything I can to avoid that Dude!”….. 🤣

Both Coach Edsion and the Late Coach Jacoby told me in the past how much they loved him and how much he meant to the kids at DLS…. Rest in Peace Big Man!!… 🙏🍻

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT