ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week #8

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week #8

Last week 8-4 Overall 88-26

Gabilan (Palma on Bye)-Palma looks to be in trouble of not making the playoffs. They took a bad loss to Aptos and remain winless in league. PAL Booster has them making the playoffs, but I don’t know. I have them going 1-2 in their last 3 (Hollister, Monterey, Alvarez), they will need to at least 2-1 to have a playoff chance. Not impossible but it will be difficult for this young team to rebound. Salinas was able to hold off a tough Monterey team, if the Cowboys don’t get healthy they will have a tough time beating Soquel. Hollister started well vs Soquel, but faded in the 4th (as Soquel does to most teams) in the 28-10 loss.

Thu 10/17 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:30pm- Thursday night games stink, Soquel may start a little slow, but Alvarez is no match for this years Knights team. Soquel 35-7

Fri 10/18 Salinas (CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:30pm
– Aptos had a huge win vs Palma last week, Salinas played a close one vs Monterey. Salinas seems to be closer to the pack in the Gabilan than the to the top team Soquel. Salinas 27-21

Fri 10/18 Monterey (CA) at Hollister (CA), 7:30pm
-A win by either team almost assures a playoff spot, although I think both are basically in already. With HMB and Carmel forced to be CCS DIII, it could be argued an “easier” path for a CCS title in DII than in DIII. Winner of this game probably goes in DII. Hollister 28-24

Mission North (MVC on a Bye) –
I said it last week and I will say it again: This division is a toss up. Although it looks like NMC has taken a little bit of control with its win over Alisal last week. But the race is far from over as I can’t trust any of these teams. Even Seaside who I thought would go winless, won last week. Big props to Seaside and Coach Avila for persevering through this tough year! St. Francis V Alisal could be a battle for 2nd place and a de-facto playoff berth.

Fri 10/18 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Neither one of these teams has a “good” win. Alisal has played a tougher schedule, they will try to out physical the Sharks and their smallish roster. Winner is in the drivers seat for 2nd place, I think. Alisal 24-21

Fri 10/18 Seaside (CA) at North Monterey County (Castroville, CA), 7:30pm-
Both Teams are coming off their biggest win of the season (or first in Seaside’s case) last week. NMC’s was probably a bit more meaningful, but they can not afford a letdown vs the Spartans and their dynamic playmaker. NMC 35-14

Sat 10/19 Watsonville (CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 2:00pm
-Scott’s Valley beat Seaside and then lost to MVC. Watsonville beat MVC then lost to Seaside. So, this game should end in a tie? Watsonville 25-24

Mission South (Greenfield Bye)-
PG came so very close to beating North Salinas last week, but they could not stop NS modified offense, Props to NS coaching staff and team for being able to change game plans with out their starting QB. PG football has been improving, but if they want to take that next step, they need to schedule better. Stop playing Marina, Greenfield (even RLS) and schedule some other CCS "B" teams : Sequoia, Terra Nova etc. Their Pre-season does not prepare them for their tough Divisional games. If NS QB is still injured, an improving KC team could provide them with a tough game.

Fri 10/18 Carmel (CA) vs Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA) at Monterey Peninsula College – Carmel has lights now at it’s stadium, not sure why they are renting MPC for some select games? Davis had a better chance of beating Folsom than Rancho does of beating Carmel. Carmel: whatever they want-0

Fri 10/18 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) vs King City (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex 7:30pm
– In this weeks Bizzaro world, KC could win out and make the playoffs. If they can get by an injury depleted North Salinas team then they have Rancho and Soledad to finish. Beating NS is a big IF. North Salinas 24-20

Fri 10/18 Pacific Grove (CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm
- PG had a shot last week, I really think some tougher preseason competition will help move this program back to the glory years. Soledad is playing ok football, but PG is the better team this year. PG 28-14

Santa Lucia (Harbor Bye)-
@streakone choosing the RLS v Pajaro game in the pick’em is awesome!!! Should start to see some separation this week as the top 4 teams play each other. Who cares about SRV v DLS or SI v SF? This weekend you have RLS v PV in the Del Monte Forest! Not only that, Saturday night SLV travels to the Salinas Valley to take on a decent Gonzales team. Another Super Saturday in the Santa Lucia!!!

Fri 10/18 Marina (CA) at Santa Cruz (CA), 7:30pm- This game intrigues me, because I think Santa Cruz has a chance here. They have not won all year, but they have not been shutout either. Last year 0-6, average score 50-0. This year 0-7 & 45-14, baby steps. Santa Cruz 24-21

Sat 10/19 San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA) vs Gonzales (CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm-
By far the best PCAL story of 2023 is the re-birth of the SLV program. Great to see them be successful again. Tough trip to the Salinas Valley to face a decent Gonzales team, but they should prevail. SLV 21-17

Sat 10/19 Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA), 2:30pm –
When @Streakone chooses your team for pick’em it feels like ESPN choosing you for college Game Day. Like are Cal 14, Concrete and Norcal sports fan showing up to RLS for pregame festivities? I digress. PV has won 4 games this year, but they have been against really bad teams. RLS is finally at full strength and played a complete game in dominating Santa Cruz last week. This should set up a fantastic title fight in 2 weeks vs SLV. RLS 34-20

Suppose I should comment on the Carmel lights issue. Yes, Carmel finally has lights. After what seems like forever legal battles with the school's NIMBY "neighbors". However the approved plan also calls for an expansion of the parking lot and that has yet to be completed. And since it is not finished, the school has elected to play Friday night games at MPC fearing that a night game at Carmel might give the NIMBYers a reason to go back to court arguing that the lights shouldn't be used until the parking situation has been resolved. At least that is my understanding.

Reactions: MC415 and RLS13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT