ADVERTISEMENT

Placer HS Gym…. Hoosiers-like atmosphere!!

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
What a place! I have wanted to get here for years, glad I made it.

I am at Placer for their foundation games.

Just watched the girls smack Yuba City down, 56-32.

But, for me it’s all about this amazing place…

Built in the 30’s, bleachers are raised above floor level sorta like Riordan. Eyes are rim high when sitting front row.

Incredible Hall Of Fame under the home bleachers, ya walk through it to get to the snack bar. Just might be the best hall-of-fame display I’ve ever seen at a high school! Many colleges would be proud of a display this well done.

Reminiscent of the old gyms in the movie Hoosiers!

Placer boys are lookin’ good…. gonna win by about 40.

Vaguely reminiscent of the typical University SF teams…. Not a bunch of size, but fast, disciplined and deep.

Placer boys are lookin’ good…. gonna win by about 40.

Vaguely reminiscent of the typical University SF teams…. Not a bunch of size, but fast, disciplined and deep.
That place is awesome. Placer had a nice team larg year going 25-7. They lost some key players but they are always tough in their league and division.

It is a throwback to the Great Depression Era. You can almost see Jimmy Chitwood working on his perimeter jumper in the far corner. And there's Coach Norman Dale lecturing a parent near the scorer's perch. Awesome.

Reactions: laidbackcoach
Love that gym! Played there many times as a student-athlete and have had the chance to coach a few teams there. Great atmosphere!

So many throwbacks in that facility. Heard there used to be a gun range under the gym when they used to have a rifle team.

@kiddman32 , if your schedule allows, make it a point to be at the championship game of the Kendall Arnett Tournament at Placer on Saturday, December 30th. The Kendall is the oldest high school tournament in California. This year will be the 81st. It is an incredible college like atmosphere. The gym is absolutely packed. Alumni home for the holidays, the band will be on the sideline opposite the Placer bench below the stands. So loud in there you can’t hear. I’ve never experienced anything like it in high school basketball.

In 15 plus years of coaching, I never found a gym I liked better than Earl Crabbe Gym at Placer HS. Crabbe apparently used to be a hoops coach at Placer about 100 years ago.

Reactions: PortCityCoach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT