ADVERTISEMENT

Pleased To Announce The 69th Annual Gridley Invitational Tournament

Marcskit

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2002
I am pleased to announce the lineup for the 69th annual Gridley Invitational.

Here is some history of the GIBT.

In 1953 John Valentino, teacher and coach at Gridley High school, put into action his idea of school activity. It would involve many people from differing social, geographical and economical segments of Northern California. He organized and directed the first Gridley Invitational Basketball tournament.
From the onset, the 3- day GIBT has had the reputation as a tournament that extends invitations to top California basketball teams.
Valentino’s plan was an annual event that brought people together --- visiting players living with Gridley families, allowing social barriers to dissolve as people of different races, religions and lifestyles became directly associated with one another on a daily basis. Remember: This was 1953!
This pattern for cooperative behavior continues to work in the absence of Valentino who passed away early in 1984.
From 1953 through 1977 , the GIBT was a post – season tournament. It was a popular alternative to the Tournament of Champions ( TOC ) , which was held each year at the end of the basketball season.

In fact the GIBT was so popular, that some teams that had earned the privilege of participating in the TOC , chose to play in the GIBT instead.
This caused the CIF officials to make the decision to have only one post season tournament to determine the ultimate champion. This change occurred in 1978, the only year there was not a GIBT.
Gridley High School resumed the GIBT as a pre-season tournament in 1979, and it has continued to be one of the most prestigious varsity basketball tournaments for high school boys in Northern California.

Throughout the history of the GIBT , local families have opened their homes each year to house the visiting teams. The friendships that have developed through these arrangements have been many, and long-lasting.

Gridley High School and the GIBT Committee would like to thank everyone who has supported the GIBT throughout the years – Students players, Parents, and friends. You have helped to make the Gridley Invitational Basketball Tournament a Northern California tradition.

We welcome:

Salesian- Loaded with lot’s of long guards, who can share the load.

Branson – Not much needs to be said about them. They can play with the big boys, bringing in two highly rated guards.

Archbishop Riordan – They made a nice run last year. They are loaded with several Div 1 players

We welcome back - Clayton Valley – A young team, who went very far in the playoffs last year. Coached by Frank Allocco, jr.

Sheldon – They return 5 starters from last year. They always show up to play.

We welcome back - San Ramon Valley – They made a deep run last year, and why not. They return almost there whole team back for another run.

Clovis North – They bring back 4 starters from a State Championship run. Expect big things from them.

Gridley – Last but not least we have Gridley. As always they will have their hands full. After the Tournament it should all be downhill sailing.

This years Guest speaker, will be none other than Eric Bamberger. He was the two time most valuable player, and two time high scorer for our Tournament. Eric Bamberger played for Ygnacio Valley back in the day. He went on to play for Saint Mary's

Here is the lineup for Thursday.

4:00- Branson – Clayton Valley

5:30 – Archbishop Riordan – San Ramon Valley

7:00- Salesian - Gridley

8:30- Clovis North - Sheldon

Some things to note:
Norcalsports TV will be streaming the games.
You can go to Gridleyinvitational.org for updates.

What more can I say, Good folks, Good vibes, Great Hoops !!!

I'll be all over those replays on NorcalsportsTV!

Every night after I get back from watching my Cougs at Liberty of Brentwood.

Can anyone attend the guest speaker event? Would like to hear Eric speak.
Hey Y Cap:
Sorry to say, Eric Bamberger won't be able to speak this year.
Some Conflict came up.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the Tournament. It's going to be a great one.

Here's wishing you great hoops.

Hey Y Cap:
Sorry to say, Eric Bamberger won't be able to speak this year.
Some Conflict came up.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the Tournament. It's going to be a great one.

Here's wishing you great hoops.
Tournament is always great. Glad to see Clayton back.

I pick Salesian to win, but they better be ready to play their butts off... Ya can't play "average" and win this thing. :)

Salesian and Branson playing very well right now. Haven’t seen Sheldon in a while-looking forward to that game against Clovis North.

Not that I think they have any real shot vs. this loaded field, but Gridley is 5-0 and might be able to make somebody have to go all-out for longer than usual.

Last time Gridley won a game in their tourney was in 2015... against Campo, who'd had a horrible start that year with their star (Austin Clarke) injured in the first quarter of their first game the previous weekend.

The Cougs never really recovered that year, ending up 14-14. The next year, Coach Dyer took over, and Carter Mahaney was a frosh... The rest is history. :)

Reactions: ayalar09
Not that I think they have any real shot vs. this loaded field, but Gridley is 5-0 and might be able to make somebody have to go all-out for longer than usual.

Last time Gridley won a game in their tourney was in 2015... against Campo, who'd had a horrible start that year with their star (Austin Clarke) injured in the first quarter of their first game the previous weekend.

The Cougs never really recovered that year, ending up 14-14. The next year, Coach Dyer took over, and Carter Mahaney was a frosh... The rest is history. :)
Well, Gridley is ranked #25 in the state and Salesian is #120 per Maxpreps. We'll see if Salesian can pull off the big upset LOL

Yeah,,, those MaxPreps ratings are a *little* bit off the first few weeks of the season... and this year, more off than most.

But Gridley should make a lot of noise in the North Section in 2024!

Reactions: ayalar09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT