ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Placer

Not being critical. I'm just mindful of what happened to Cardinal Newman a couple years ago. Good year for a lower-level program, but got put up against the CCS #1 team in the NorCal D-2A regional due to ranking and got stomped.
I think that was the 2-AA game against VC. 31-6 VC, who went on to lose a close game to san diego Madison in SBG. VC’s year, although CN had beaten them in prior years a couple times.

The local love for the program is definitely cause for envy.

One thing to keep in mind for me is that many Placer fans had a lot of concern about being asked to play such large schools in the NorCal and state games. Well, if they continue to get this recognition, they could fall within a wide range of division, some way below their level and some perhaps above.

My suggest was that if they had played someone like an Inderkum, that would help the voters place them in the most appropriate spot. Without that, it will be interesting where they go, should they qualify... they still have to get past Capital Christian if they're both in the SJS D-IV bracket.
Cal thanks for response,we just got home from the HS in which Placer beat Ponderosa 56-6 I believe we left after 3rd qtr with the subs scoring.I agree in that taking on an Inderkum or a Sutter or another team from dn in the bay NCS would be good to see where they stand and I believe that will happen especially now with Placer playing in this D3 FVL(Foothill Valley League).Tonight Placer secured at least a share of the new league,in this league the Hillmen are the smallest enrollment and may have to play D4 after this yr in playoffs as they will win this yrs title and have to play D3.Next yr it will be anyone’s title.....i’m Sure Coach Montoya will schedule up to better prepare for this FVL.But for this yr let’s wish them well as they will do their best to Rep the SJS.Thanks Again Cal.Go Placer

Reactions: playsomeball
There is nothing less accurate than Joe D's rankings. It is completely biased and there are many 'upsets' (higher ranked team losing to a lower ranked team'. This poll used to be the standard - when there were multiple reporters who voted on the Sac Bee rankings. But Joe D seems to base his rankings on his relationships with the head coaches. Read his Twitter and you will see what I mean.

Where was Inderkum ranked to begin the year? Where was Del Oro ranked? Most of us that actually watch film and see these teams expected them to be two of the best in the area. But instead Joe D listed Jesuit and Oak Ridge at or near the top. (And no, it it not an excuse to use prior year's results). They could always go back to having the area coaches submit ballots. That would have way more validity than Joe D's feelings.

While I agree that Joe D can be biased...the reality is that very few coaches took the time to submit ballots, and even fewer watch teams other than those on their schedule. So how’s a Coach gonna have a thorough opinion on teams they never see or play? As for the early rankings, I think many of us thought Jesuit would be better, Expected a lot more out of Rutherford and that loaded backfield. They look better now. And The reality is...who cares what a team is ranked at start of the year? Playoffs and seedlings aren’t based off the Bee Rankings anyhow... without a guy like Joe D, we would have very little high school football reporting at all. He has his issue, but the way daily newspapers are going, he may be the last High School reporter we have in Sacramento. It’s easy to complain and wish something were different, but I’d say he is better than the alternative...nothing

Placer's community support is pretty awesome. Best of luck to your team the rest of the way. A state championship for the Hillmen is a win for NorCal.

Thanks! I remember when Placer was matched up against Salinas last year. I looked them up and saw that Salinas is an older school than Placer--which surprised me since Placer started in 1898, and then that Salinas also has a radio station call all their games like KAHI calls Placer games. It was such an experience going to the Pit and watching a game there. Such a great venue and crowd and team. Cool thing about the bowl games--getting to know another team that wouldn't be encountered otherwise.

The local love for the program is definitely cause for envy.

One thing to keep in mind for me is that many Placer fans had a lot of concern about being asked to play such large schools in the NorCal and state games. Well, if they continue to get this recognition, they could fall within a wide range of division, some way below their level and some perhaps above.

Ironically I think the Salinas matchup last year showed them that school size doesn't really matter: they can play competitively with bigger schools if that's the matchup.

Reactions: Cal 14
While I agree that Joe D can be biased...the reality is that very few coaches took the time to submit ballots, and even fewer watch teams other than those on their schedule. So how’s a Coach gonna have a thorough opinion on teams they never see or play? As for the early rankings, I think many of us thought Jesuit would be better, Expected a lot more out of Rutherford and that loaded backfield. They look better now. And The reality is...who cares what a team is ranked at start of the year? Playoffs and seedlings aren’t based off the Bee Rankings anyhow... without a guy like Joe D, we would have very little high school football reporting at all. He has his issue, but the way daily newspapers are going, he may be the last High School reporter we have in Sacramento. It’s easy to complain and wish something were different, but I’d say he is better than the alternative...nothing

I agree and also appreciate how he highlights such a wide variety of schools in the Sac area.

However, it still doesn't matter if you're driving a Toyota.

It seems to me that the question mark I had about them last year hasn't been answered. Yes, they can clobber the likes of Vista del Lago or Rio Linda, but they're likely going to be facing another bigger school in the NorCals. They didn't really stop Salinas without numerous Cowboy penalties. They didn't really stop Crenshaw at all. Yes, their offense is very fluid, but you need stops.

Knowing that they were going to be pretty good this year, I was hoping to see them step up and play one of the perennial good teams at least in the SJS. They didn't do that. As a result, we don't really know exactly how good they are. Yet, with the press and rankings they're getting, they could end up in a NorCal regional higher than their true level.

Will be interesting to watch.
Cal,I can understand that,especially if Placer goes undefeated and heads into playoffs and had they played an Indy and let’s say they lost that game than the directors could more accurately place them where they may compete vs teams comparable to them,rather than go in as this juggernaut and get popped immediately.....I can agree with that,but obviously that wasn’t the case and we must now let this play out.What we all can agree on is the Hillmen are a decent team and shouldn’t be taken lightly,we learn as we go to better ourselves and prepare ourselves dn the road in the future by doing as many have suggested and schedule a team in which you are not expected to win to see where you stand.I agree,and Coach Montoya i’m sure knows this and who knows maybe it was a commitment already set up against these teams or maybe he couldn’t get that Indy game,who knows.I agree though it would be to our benefit to know where we stand.Go Placer

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
Joe Davidson is bias to certain coaches and certain type of programs and always have been. I can do without him and that type of shade tree reporting. If he can't respect all programs the same than maybe he should stick to predicting scores and outcomes like us board members instead of showing his love-fest for certain programs and coaches. I see right through his bias tendencies which isn't hard to do.

Cal thanks for response,we just got home from the HS in which Placer beat Ponderosa 56-6 I believe we left after 3rd qtr with the subs scoring.I agree in that taking on an Inderkum or a Sutter or another team from dn in the bay NCS would be good to see where they stand and I believe that will happen especially now with Placer playing in this D3 FVL(Foothill Valley League).Tonight Placer secured at least a share of the new league,in this league the Hillmen are the smallest enrollment and may have to play D4 after this yr in playoffs as they will win this yrs title and have to play D3.Next yr it will be anyone’s title.....i’m Sure Coach Montoya will schedule up to better prepare for this FVL.But for this yr let’s wish them well as they will do their best to Rep the SJS.Thanks Again Cal.Go Placer

As long as Placer is not playing my Mustangs, Im rooting for Placer in D3. Go Placer. I want to see them WIN a state title this year!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT