ADVERTISEMENT

Regular Season is Almost Upon Us!

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
Meanwhile, I'm spinning my wheels here, just thought I'd combine my two favorite sports and put up my North Coast Section odds/handicap, horse racing style :)

After looking closely at the NCS website, I find no evidence they're going to do an NCS Open Division, at least not this year, so... I'll split the 'capping by the division MaxPreps has 'em listed in.

D1:

Dublin - Has pretty much blown up everyone not named Branson. 5/2
DLS - Three frosh getting big minutes, good team now, might be downright scary by March. 7/2
San Leandro - Keshad Johnson and good surrounding cast that gets after it on D. 9/2
James Logan - Four losses, but highest-rated SoS at the moment... 7/1
Rest of Field 15/1

D2:

O'Dowd - As always, very ambitious schedule... 7/2
Moreau - As always, very ambitious schedule... but I repeat myself. 7/2
The rest in this div. appear to be well below the top two. Field 25/1

D3:

Salesian - Well, duh. After racing thru NCS, on to the Norcals. Could win state Open. 1/9
Campolindo - Sacrificial lamb to Salesian in the final? 8/1
Albany - Haven't seen 'em play, but they only lost to Salesian by 5 and beat SPSV. 9/1
St. Joe's - Lack of size hurts, but they are tough and have Lippi roaming the sideline. 11/1
SPSV - Appears they have overcome their slow start and looked solid at MC tourney. 12/1
Rest of field 100/1

D4:

Branson - Borderline Open team shouldn't have a lot of trouble with D4 foes. 1/5
Fortuna - Probably will have just one loss going into the playoff, but still a mystery team. 5/1
Healdsburg - Lost close ones to Fortuna, some good wins, too. 6/1
St. Mary's Albany - A bit up-and-down, but on their best night can be very tough. 8/1
Rest of field 50/1

D5:

Stuart Hall - No idea why they got dropped to D5; They should roll... 1/5
University SF - League rival of Hall, good chance they lose to 'em three times. 4/1
Rest of field 100/1

Odds of getting sent to Open:
Salesian 1/1
Dublin 3/1
Branson 4/1
DLS 5/1
O'Dowd/Moreau 6/1
Anyone else 50/1

Remember, no wagering... :)

Oh, and here's the NorCal Top 20 leading into league:

1. Salesian (14-0) Last Week: #1

2. Sheldon (8-4) LW: #2

3. Bishop O’Dowd (5-5) LW: #4

4. Moreau Catholic (6-5) LW: #5

5. Grant (12-2) LW: #7

6. Weston Ranch (13-1) LW: #12

7. Dublin (10-1) LW: #8

8. Modesto Christian (9-4) LW: #3

9. Riordan (7-3) LW: #9

10. Branson (11-2) LW: #10

11. James Logan (7-4) LW: #11

12. Vanden (10-4) LW: #15

13. San Leandro (11-3) LW: #16

14. Campolindo (9-4) LW: NR

15. Mitty (6-4) LW: #6

16. Sacred Heart Cathedral (7-3) LW: #13

17. Rocklin (17-1) LW: #14

18. Stuart Hall (9-4) LW: #17

19. Bellarmine (9-1) LW: #19

20. Dougherty Valley (11-2) LW: NR

Big mover is Weston Ranch after winning the MC Holiday Hoops Classic!
https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/news/{{article.slug}}

Reactions: coachlittle
Salesian's is pretty much a lock to get into the Open Division and should be the top seed. They just won the American Division at the Chic-Fil-A Classic in South Carolina, including an opening win against Norcross which is one of Georgia's best teams. Really wish California didn't have stupid rules otherwise they would get a shot to play in the Dicks Sporting Goods High School National Championship.

Agree about SHHS being dropped to D5. Makes no sense after they WON D4 last year and represented D4 at the State Championships. University is their only true competition, and I think the games will be close ones. Could see these teams playing twice in league and playing 3-4 more games for Postseason.

If Branson can go undefeated in the MCL and win the Championship, as well as the D4 NCS Championship, then they should get a chance at the open division. Went toe to toe with Sheldon and Riordan.

Salesian is clear #1. Seems like a rematch with Sheldon for NorCal Open is close to a lock.
Stuart Hall did not win NCS D4 or even make it to championship game for NCS D4. SJND & SPSV. S. Hall made a nice run in Norcals to get to state.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Salesian is clear #1. Seems like a rematch with Sheldon for NorCal Open is close to a lock.
Stuart Hall did not win NCS D4 or even make it to championship game for NCS D4. SJND & SPSV. S. Hall made a nice run in Norcals to get to state.
Isn't MC in the running for Open finals also? Seems like MC vs. Sheldon would be a tossup

My bad. MC is in the mix. The transfers should be better by end of season. Salesian has beat both already. I'd take Sheldon over MC. Sheldon adding 6'10 & 6'7 to the mix makes them my fav to win NorCal Open.They should be jelling by Playoffs .

Reactions: SmoothJay
I swear we do this dance every year. The top 15 or so teams can all beat each other on any night; it usually depends on matchups. MC took Salesian to overtime and Campo beat MC at their place. Does that mean Campo would beat Salesian or MC would beat Sheldon? Who knows. The games in March, as always, will be determined by who makes shots and who is hot at the right time. My money is still on Sheldon and MC because they have the top individual talent in NorCal.

This is how i'd do the Open Division if the Season ended today:

1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Modesto Christian
4) Bishop O'Dowd
5) Riordan
6) Bellarmine
7) Branson
8) Dublin

Teams on outside looking in: Folsom, San Leandro, De La Salle, Albany, Weston Ranch, Grant

San Joaquin Memorial is such an interesting case. They have one really good player and no one else. Have played horrible this season outside of the Unicorn.

The De La Salle/SJM game in a couple of weeks might determine an Open Spot. We will see.

Heritage won NCS division 1 last year and did not go open because they did not meet the criteria
I do not believe riordan or Dublin meet the criteria for norcal open Branson would qualify over
both of them as well as San Joaquin memorial would qualify over both riordan and dublin.

1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Modesto Christian
4) Bishop O'Dowd
5) Riordan
6) Bellarmine
7) Branson
8) Dublin

Teams on outside looking in: Folsom, San Leandro, De La Salle, Albany, Weston Ranch, Grant
Why not Campo in the Open? They just beat MC at MC who you have 3rd.

Open qualifiers as of Jan 1, 2019:
1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Modesto Christian
4) Bishop O'Dowd
5) Dublin
6) Grant
7) Moreau
8) Weston Ranch

Bubble teams: Riordan, Campo, Albany, Branson, San Leandro, Logan

Last edited:

1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Modesto Christian
4) Bishop O'Dowd
5) Riordan
6) Bellarmine
7) Branson
8) Dublin

I've seen Folsom play a number of times and this is the weakest team I've seen from them in a long long time....I mean think pre -jordan ford days. I kept telling people they would be down after losing all starters to last years team that knocked off Salesian in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong they play hard, have one of the best coaching staffs around, and will win games because of that, but they are in no way an open team and aren't even the favorites in the SFL this year from what I've seen. Rocklin on Friday night at folsom. Will be in the dog pound for that one. That could be the title right there.

Can someone please post qualifications or criteria for open division placement because
I am sure there are multiple teams being mentioned that I don't believe would qualify
over other schools even if they won there section.

Okay so the criteria is pretty much as follows:

For Norcal

1)Have to win the NCS or CCS championship two consecutive seasons?

2) Play in a Regional Final aka Norcal CIF Championship 3x out of 4 years

3) Be ranked in the Top 10 for two straight seasons

How do 8 teams possibly qualify for this?

Like I said I don't believe riordan,dublin or dela meet the criteria.Heritage who won NCS D 1
last year was not qualified for open division.If Branson wins there section they will be strongly
Considered as well as San joaquin memorial.

Reactions: jordan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT