ADVERTISEMENT

Return of Steve Lo

This is from the Chronicle, previewing some nonleague games.

SEPT. 14

St. John Bosco at No. 4 Serra —
The Padres lost 45-0 to the Braves in the 2022 state final. Meanwhile, Serra will welcome back SJB offensive coordinator Steve Lo, who held the same position for the Padres.

Rather ambiguous sentence. I think what they MEAN to say is that Steve Lo, former OC for Serra, is the OC for Bosco. Serra will "welcome Lo Back" when the two teams play on 9/14.

The editor needs a new line of work, if you ask me...

This is from the Chronicle, previewing some nonleague games.

SEPT. 14

St. John Bosco at No. 4 Serra —
The Padres lost 45-0 to the Braves in the 2022 state final. Meanwhile, Serra will welcome back SJB offensive coordinator Steve Lo, who held the same position for the Padres.

Rather ambiguous sentence. I think what they MEAN to say is that Steve Lo, former OC for Serra, is the OC for Bosco. Serra will "welcome Lo Back" when the two teams play on 9/14.

The editor needs a new line of work, if you ask me...
Yes, the editors need to up their game. The construction begs confusion. Those sentences have to be read multiple times to make sure they are correctly understood and hardly anyone does "close reads" on sports articles while sipping their morning coffee.

There's no confusion. It doesn't say that Lo is the former OC for SJB. It says he is returning to the Serra campus.

There's no confusion. It doesn't say that Lo is the former OC for SJB. It says he is returning to the Serra campus.
It is an accurate sentence, but it's constructed in a way that can easily lead to confusion if it is read quickly like one might expect of someone reading a blurb in the newspaper. That's all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT