ADVERTISEMENT

SHC Stuns Mitty in WCAL playoffs

CityVibesII

Hall of Famer
Mar 11, 2003
Losing both league games by a combined 21-0, the 2-12 Irish defeat Mitty 6-2. Even as a "City" fan, I am still not a fan of every team making league playoff. After Mitty's successful run through league, it is a shame not to be able to set up pitching for run for title game. This makes league games almost meaningless.

Prefer top four teams and 1st place team given "the point".
This post was edited on 5/13 7:35 PM by CityVibesII

Never expected this result. Watch out for teams with nothing to lose. Go Irish!
party0023.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 5/13 7:40 PM by Irish_Cheers

Valley Christian beat St. Ignatius 4-0
Bellarmine beat Serra 3-1
St. Francis beat Riordan 5-2 after spotting Riordan a 2-0 lead until the fifth inning. Almost had another City upset.

This post was edited on 5/13 10:01 PM by Irish_Cheers

Congrats to SHC on a great win!

This has to be the biggest upset since the vaunted #1 seed St. Francis "dream team" lost to 16 seed Carlmont in the 1st round of CCS.

Good luck to SHC tonight in the semi's.

No days off in the WCAL, that is why it is one of the premier high school baseball leagues in the country.

Originally posted by serra54:
No days off in the WCAL, that is why it is one of the premier high school baseball leagues in the country.
Geez - I used to hate it when you guys would say stuff like this...before our younger son played in this league. But I think you are right. Its certainly a clear cut above anything else I've seen.

SHC did the same thing to us (Mitty) in 2002. A 1 vs 8 matchup that time too, But that time they scored 7 runs in the 7th to tie and won it in 8.

SI took out SF in a 2 vs 7 match up in 2010. It does happen from time to time.

Usually it has a distinct probability because the lower seed usually throws their top guy and the higher seed usually does not. That decision has backfired over the years in CCS too. Saving a guy can be risky.

SHC hung around. There were a few atom balls that if they go a foot either way, they blow the game open. SH turned 3 double plays. All typical ingredients in an upset.

It got to the 6th with Mitty nursing a 1 run lead and we could not hold it. The Irish...as they do all the time...played with passion and took advantage of their opportunities...and did a great job. As miserable as I am today...I am very happy for Brian Morgan, who is a great guy and deserves the bounce in his step I assure you he has today.

Baseball is a cruel partner. Always being tested by the Gods of Baseball.

Good luck to SH and the other schools playing at Schott today. Admission to our enticing intrasquad game today is free if you want to stop by on the way to Schott.....
sad0012.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT