ADVERTISEMENT

Specialization - One sport only Prep athletes get deprived

Lots of reasons for this. I think a great deal of high school coaches (not all) force the issue and try to dominate the time of these athletes. They demand that they be there for summer or fall workouts. That makes it tough to do more than one or two.

We have lots of two-sport guys in our baseball program and I like it. I did an interview on MLB Network radio a couple months ago and talked about how it gives our guys a mental and physical break while also making them more athletic. That said, I do believe that after a couple years, it's beneficial for some players who have an opportunity to play at the next level in a specific sport to concentrate more on said sport during the summer. Doesn't mean you drop a sport.

I agree 100%. Kids/Student/Athletes should be able to make their own choices with out penalty of the coach. Now if this causes them to miss time on the practice field then they need to understand that they may not be able to jump back in and start right away or pitch a complete game right away but it should be their choice. Coaches and athletes need to communicate their intentions and communicate their consequences so that everyone knows what is happening. But at no point should a coach say that its my way or the highway. It lacks confidence.

I agree 100%. Kids/Student/Athletes should be able to make their own choices with out penalty of the coach. Now if this causes them to miss time on the practice field then they need to understand that they may not be able to jump back in and start right away or pitch a complete game right away but it should be their choice. Coaches and athletes need to communicate their intentions and communicate their consequences so that everyone knows what is happening. But at no point should a coach say that its my way or the highway. It lacks confidence.

Although THEY deny it to this day - Valley Christian San Jose did this for 8-10 years. They did not want the Basketball-to-be athletes playing Hoops. Now their AD denied it vehemently but Shawon Dunston's son and others spilled the beans. Hopefully that silent practice has stopped. I bet the BB coach though still makes pilgrimages to Columbia and Nicaragua. :cool:

Last edited:
Although THEY deny it to this day - Valley Christian San Jose did this for 8-10 years. They did not want the Basketball athletes playing Hoops.

Not wanting their Basketball athletes playing Hoops? That would be a major problem. No wonder they are never any good in Hoops. ;)

Not wanting their Basketball athletes playing Hoops? That would be a major problem. No wonder they are never any good in Hoops. ;)
My guess is he meant Baseball :). Here's one exception that I would throw out. If you are a top Baseball prospect who is going to go well in the draft, especially a pitcher, you need to think about coming out late from Basketball and that could hurt your stock. It takes a while to get in game throwing shape and Basketball is such a cardio sport that it's hard to maintain muscle.

This is few and far between but I've seen it a few times and will be tested this spring with a potential first-rounder.

Reactions: CityVibesII
My guess is he meant Baseball :). Here's one exception that I would throw out. If you are a top Baseball prospect who is going to go well in the draft, especially a pitcher, you need to think about coming out late from Basketball and that could hurt your stock. It takes a while to get in game throwing shape and Basketball is such a cardio sport that it's hard to maintain muscle.

This is few and far between but I've seen it a few times and will be tested this spring with a potential first-rounder.

I fixed it. I guess it could be semantics... but it was VERY clear during WCAL basketball games that VC could not compete (past tense) with other South/North WCAL teams.

Last edited:
I fixed it. I guess it could be semantics... but it was VERY clear during WCAL basketball games that VC could not compete (past tense) with other South/North WCAL teams.

LOL, how many other WCAL Basketball teams have baseball players on them? Mitty and ....? Very few and maybe none now. Yet, the reason for VC basketball lack of success is because baseball players don't play basketball? Not sure I am grasping your reasoning or logic here. And if my memory serves me right, the last CCS baseball championship VC won had 3 basketball starters on the team and the basketball team still didn't win a game in the WCAL.

My son who is known more for baseball was fortunate to make his high school's basketball team and is expected to play for his school baseball soon-there after. I hope the basketball will help with foot work, and work different muscles and stretch him out. I will slowly take him out on weekends in January for long-toss and cage work as necessary, hoping this will assist with the transition. But the glove is being hidden.

NC may not agree, but every day that glove is hidden or cage reps are not being done someone else on his BSB team got better that day.
It's not easy to do, and it is a choice.
Summers were brutal. FB made them much stronger and tougher. It can pay off though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT