ADVERTISEMENT

St. Francis and Moreau Catholic advance to D2 finals

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
St. Francis ended Del Oro's run with a 75-57 win. Moreau Catholic beat Cardinal Newman 82-62 behind 29 points from Kyree Walker and 28 from Damari Milstead.

Won't be at Santa Clara, but the matchup of Logan Johnson and Milstead among others will be very entertaining.

Pace was too much for Newman and Moreau shot lights out. Newman took care of the ball but Moreau was on fire!

That should be a really good finals. I think St Francis matches up pretty well with the athleticism and quickness of Moreau. St Francis has beaten Grant and Burbank who are off the chart in terms of speed. Plus there WCAL league is so strong that they have been through a grind. If Walker and Milstead shoot like they did against Newman they certainly can beat the Lancers. D2 has been a tough call all year but looks like the 2 best teams are squaring off.

I thought the switch to a 1-3-1 at the half that effectively shut down Wallace was a great coaching move. Not that I'd expect that to be acknowledged. CN really never adjusted.

Moreau doesn't lose often but a couple of things I notice about their program is the in-game adjustments, the adjustments to teams after a loss [Newark 2016, Logan 2017], and the ability to start freshmen on varsity. Although some schools also do it in the Bay Area their program does a good job [rather recruiting or not].

@noknight I guess folks don't have to acknowledge the truth.

Reactions: noknight
@Straight8 I think noknight was referring to LL3 as he is constantly thrashing the Moreau program, the student athletes and their coaching staff. LL3 mentioned that he would be attending the Moreau vs. Cardinal Newman name. It would have been a treat to see him introduce himself to the coaching staff he thinks is one of the worst.

I thought the switch to a 1-3-1 at the half that effectively shut down Wallace was a great coaching move. Not that I'd expect that to be acknowledged. CN really never adjusted.
Wallace could get to the basket at will and brought his A game, the rest of the team struggled and when the adjustments were made no one was able to help carry the load. Bonfigli didn't adjust and there you have it. Milstead and Walker are beasts. Wallace went toe to toe with them and more than held his own.

Reactions: NorCalSportsMom
I was there. Why would I care to introduce myself? That makes no sense. Milstead and Walker along with the rest of the team shot the lights out. I go to a lot of HS games and very few teams shoot the ball that good in a game. That was the difference. They shot over 50% from the field and probably from the 3pt line as well. Milstead pulling up from 25 ft. He makes those shots and you tip your hat. 2 very good players got almost 60 points. That is nearly 75% of there total offensive output. I said one of them would have to be stopped and that didn't happen.

What killed newman early on is dove and dural going out early in the first half with foul trouble. I thought if those guys stayed in the game Newman could have gone into the half around even. Newman also missed about 6 FT's in the first half which they can't do against a team like that. The refs were a joke (for both sides).

Wallace showed me tons of heart. The rest of the team didn't really come to play. It was a good run. Like I said if Moreau shoots like that they can beat St Francis. But I think guys like Logan Johnson will be able to stay a lot closer to Milstead than Newman's kids.

There were times when some of the Newman boys seemed intimidated. Not fighting for jump balls, watching loose balls roll down the court, afraid to go into a Moreau body with the lay up. This is why leaving Sonoma County in the pre-season and playing "different styles" (as I will call it now) is beneficial. Moreau shot the lights out. Props to Milstead and Walker.

Wallace could get to the basket at will and brought his A game, the rest of the team struggled and when the adjustments were made no one was able to help carry the load. Bonfigli didn't adjust and there you have it. Milstead and Walker are beasts. Wallace went toe to toe with them and more than held his own.

I'm definitely not trying to denigrate Wallace, but he didn't score in the 3rd quarter and only had 2 points the entire second half. I'm not sure that's "getting to the basket at will." I DO think it's a sign of good coaching that a strategy MC rarely deployed shut down CN's best player and made the outcome a no-doubter after the half.

Sadly, I'm not surprised that LL is incapable of giving credit, rather attributing the win exclusively to hot shooting. Just over the last few weeks, once Moreau dispatched with BOD, he warned that "Tam was no joke" and that "CN was no Beyer," and now it will take another round of hot shooting for Moreau to get by St. Francis, though their players will "be able to stay alot closer." If SF wins, I expect him on here finding flaws with Knight again. It's sad.

I'm not sure if it was intimidation or just the "speed" of the game seemed to bother them. But yeah I feel they were def one step slow.

Btw, great school. Very nice campus and friendly folks. Great snack bar. But geez has the city of Hayward gone down hill. I mean shooting after shooting. Hell there was one right around the corner yesterday at Cal State East Bay.

I'm definitely not trying to denigrate Wallace, but he didn't score in the 3rd quarter and only had 2 points the entire second half. I'm not sure that's "getting to the basket at will." I DO think it's a sign of good coaching that a strategy MC rarely deployed shut down CN's best player and made the outcome a no-doubter after the half.

Sadly, I'm not surprised that LL is incapable of giving credit, rather attributing the win exclusively to hot shooting. Just over the last few weeks, once Moreau dispatched with BOD, he warned that "Tam was no joke" and that "CN was no Beyer," and now it will take another round of hot shooting for Moreau to get by St. Francis, though their players will "be able to stay alot closer." If SF wins, I expect him on here finding flaws with Knight again. It's sad.

Sad, they shot 50%+ from the field. That was the difference. Anybody who does that is going to win. I tipped my hat to them. 2 great players. Is that wrong? Who said wallace got to the rim at will? I didn't. Dude, relax. You are making this personal. Get over it. St Francis is the favorite in my opinion. Doesn't mean they will win.

Wallace most definitely got to the basket at will in the first half. Moreau made adjustments and Newman did not. There were times when Wallace was tripled teamed. And I would say a combination of both intimidation AND speed. Allowing an opponent to take the ball right out of your hands has nothing to do with speed.

I guess you missed the part where I said after adjustments and went to the zone there were no adjustments made by Bonfigli and no one was able to help carry the Idc who was playing for Newman not one player could carry that team for 4 quarters against Moreau. They're too good.

My point was once they went to the zone to try and minimize Wallace's impact no one else was able to step in and help carry the load. Hard to do much when you're double teamed every time you touch the ball and Bonfigli didn't do enough to put him in better situations along with Baker IMO.

Reactions: NorCalSportsMom
Sad, they shot 50%+ from the field. That was the difference. Anybody who does that is going to win. I tipped my hat to them. 2 great players. Is that wrong? Who said wallace got to the rim at will? I didn't. Dude, relax. You are making this personal. Get over it. St Francis is the favorite in my opinion. Doesn't mean they will win.

I am making this personal? Says the guy who has personally gone after Frank Knight for years, and has refused to give him any credit for this win? Hello pot, this is the kettle calling...

I guess you missed the part where I said after adjustments and went to the zone there were no adjustments made by Bonfigli and no one was able to help carry the Idc who was playing for Newman not one player could carry that team for 4 quarters against Moreau. They're too good.

My point was once they went to the zone to try and minimize Wallace's impact no one else was able to step in and help carry the load. Hard to do much when you're double teamed every time you touch the ball and Bonfigli didn't do enough to put him in better situations along with Baker IMO.

Fair enough - I was trying to make the point that Moreau's coaching had more than a little to do with their success, something I'm sure you can now see is sorely lacking from another member of this forum.

Reactions: GS_1738
There were times when some of the Newman boys seemed intimidated. Not fighting for jump balls, watching loose balls roll down the court, afraid to go into a Moreau body with the lay up. This is why leaving Sonoma County in the pre-season and playing "different styles" (as I will call it now) is beneficial. Moreau shot the lights out. Props to Milstead and Walker.

I couldn't agree more about CN's need to experience different styles and go on the road. I still don't understand why they went D2 and played the schedule they did. That schedule would have set them up in D4, and it's entirely possible they'd be playing in Norcals right now. Or, if they really thought they could make a D2 run, then prepare yourself for these late games rather than pad your stats. Moreau and St. Francis both have 9 losses each, but going on the road to play some really tough teams (I already covered Moreau's schedule, but St Francis not only played a WCAL schedule, they played non-league games at Vanden and Palo Alto, both Norcal finalists). They were fortunate to get into Norcals (not saying they didn't deserve it, but they couldn't have known 6 NCS teams would get in) and proved they were worthy by winning at Whitney and at Serra, but you'll never convince me that that was the right strategy to take to get where they did.

Fair enough - I was trying to make the point that Moreau's coaching had more than a little to do with their success, something I'm sure you can now see is sorely lacking from another member of this forum.
I totally agree Newman was outcoached. They did what was needed to win. Also I heard it from more than a few Moreau parents that Bonfiglis "tricks" comment was used as bulletin board material. Not sure how much it motivated them but they looked pretty motivated to me.

I am making this personal? Says the guy who has personally gone after Frank Knight for years, and has refused to give him any credit for this win? Hello pot, this is the kettle calling...
What are you 12 years old noknight? you are obviously making it personal and seem to be related to the coach clearly. It's a message board LL can have his opinion just like you. I have watched Knights team since he was at Fremont and never at one point did I feel like I was watching a well coached overachieving team. He rolls the ball out, they generally out talent the team they are playing. When they play a team with similar talent they usually get beat and beat soundly. You honestly think with the talent they have this year they shouldn't be ranked a heck of a lot higher than 102 in the state? There aren't 20 teams in the state with more talent MC this season IMO.

What are you 12 years old noknight? you are obviously making it personal and seem to be related to the coach clearly. It's a message board LL can have his opinion just like you. I have watched Knights team since he was at Fremont and never at one point did I feel like I was watching a well coached overachieving team. He rolls the ball out, they generally out talent the team they are playing. When they play a team with similar talent they usually get beat and beat soundly. You honestly think with the talent they have this year they shouldn't be ranked a heck of a lot higher than 102 in the state? There aren't 20 teams in the state with more talent MC this season IMO.

Not 12 and not a relative, but I've watched this guy get absolutely raked over the coals by LL unchallenged for years. Whenever I've called him out on it, he refuses to acknowledge his own bias. You can go through other threads and find that others have noted the common thread amongst the coaches ripped by LL, but it's pretty glaring.

I don't think anybody's going to mistake Knight for Frank Allocco or Don Lippi, but it's pathetic to never give him credit but crawl out from under your rock to criticize the second they lose.

I particularly enjoyed watching MC control the "tempo" in the fourth quarter. They were up 17ish and had plenty of opportunities to run fast breaks, but they pulled the ball out, ran about 25 seconds off the shot clock (running a flex offense) and then took open looks where they scored. It was refreshing as a reader of this board and quite ironic that it played out like that.

Last edited:
Yes the common thread among the coaches he rips is very obvious! The common thread among the coaches he worships and lavishes high praise on is obvious. I don't think he is just out talenting coaches... as stated above, it seems as if he made a strategic move that another coach didn't counter, but it's just they shot well or had better athletes... familiar story to some coaches... never their ability always the "athletes". Let's also realize it isn't easy coaching a bunch of talent. In many ways it's easier to coach lesser talented players to play hard, smart and together because they know they have no other way to compete. Coaches are slurped on this board for doing far less than Coach Knight... that is a fact!

Reactions: EHS HOOPS
Not 12 and not a relative, but I've watched this guy get absolutely raked over the coals by LL unchallenged for years. Whenever I've called him out on it, he refuses to acknowledge his own bias. You can go through other threads and find that others have noted the common thread amongst the coaches ripped by LL, but it's pretty glaring.

I don't think anybody's going to mistake Knight for Frank Allocco or Don Lippi, but it's pathetic to never give him credit but crawl out from under your rock to criticize the second they lose.
Fair enough.. I have never thought knight was a bad coach.. or a great one... he lies somewhere in the middle. Kudos to him for being a high school coach it's a thankless job

Ha ha.... What D1 talent do they have besides Milstead and Walker... What D1 talent has Cardinal Newman ever had? Who has the luxury of having 2 college players on one HS teams. You guys are clowns. Clearly you are related to the program or one of the coaches. I will continue with my opinions. I will continue to watch more HS hoops than virtually anybody on this board. I've been around the game a long time. (yes I played in college) All of a sudden Knight is a good coach because they beat #15 seed who is a bunch of gutsy HS kids? Huh? Not one of those kids will play in college. (wallace will play football)

Vukovich hit the nail on the head. They beat Newman because they had 2 superior players who scored 75% of there teams points and shot over 50% from the floor. End of story. You aren't going to beat a team when they play like that. Hats off to them like I said. If they shoot like that they have a good chance at St Francis.

44894415.jpg

Reactions: nostancenochance
Not one of those kids will play in college. (wallace will play football)
LL33 I would LOVE to know where you get that info from. Based on what I've seen lately Wallace is more than capable of playing college basketball. D1 probably not but having watched some college ball in my time D2, D3, NAIA, or even JC ball is not out of the question.

Ha ha.... What D1 talent do they have besides Milstead and Walker... What D1 talent has Cardinal Newman ever had? Who has the luxury of having 2 college players on one HS teams. You guys are clowns. Clearly you are related to the program or one of the coaches. I will continue with my opinions. I will continue to watch more HS hoops than virtually anybody on this board. I've been around the game a long time. (yes I played in college) All of a sudden Knight is a good coach because they beat #15 seed who is a bunch of gutsy HS kids? Huh? Not one of those kids will play in college. (wallace will play football)

Vukovich hit the nail on the head. They beat Newman because they had 2 superior players who scored 75% of there teams points and shot over 50% from the floor. End of story. You aren't going to beat a team when they play like that. Hats off to them like I said. If they shoot like that they have a good chance at St Francis.

I don't know Larry, I watch alot of hoops:) There was one week alone I watched almost 30 games in person. I once sat thru a Girls FRESHMAN Tournament. I was Scouting a young Danielle Orsillo. Who went on to lead the state in scoring, three years later on varsity.
Just Sayin:)
Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: nostancenochance
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT