Fri Sep 23 John Bosco @ 7:00PM @ John Bosco
Fri Sep 30 BYE
Fri Oct 07 Tokay @ 7:15PM @ St. Mary’s
Fri Oct 14 West @ 7:15PM @ West
Fri Oct 21 Tracy @ 7:15PM @ Tracy
Fri Oct 28 Lodi (Homecoming) @ 7:15PM @ St. Mary’s
Fri Nov 04 Lincoln @ 7:15PM @ St. Mary’
Helluva preseason schedule

So how is SM looking for this upcoming season? How many starters returning, size and skill players...

Great improvement to pre-season - like the SoCal mix - SJB. Good Job Coach Franks!

Definitely toughest overall in SJS -- look forward to seeing how it plays out. Regardless, it will make SM tough down the stretch!

Anyone from CCS/WCAL able to shed some insight as to how good Serra is going to be this year? Heck of a game it will be to kick off the season.

IMHO, St. Mary's offense will be very good this year, so long as their QB, Jake Dunniway, stays healthy. Their RB, Dusty Frampton, will have a big impact, as well. It's pretty much the same offense as last year, but another year older. The defense I believe is where the big question mark, just as it was last year. But, St. Mary's philosophy has pretty much been to score as much as possible and challenge the opposition to keep up with them.

Can Serra's defense stop or slow down the Rams offense and/or score more?

I know it's early, but still anxious.

Anyone from CCS/WCAL able to shed some insight as to how good Serra is going to be this year? Heck of a game it will be to kick off the season.

IMHO, St. Mary's offense will be very good this year, so long as their QB, Jake Dunniway, stays healthy. Their RB, Dusty Frampton, will have a big impact, as well. It's pretty much the same offense as last year, but another year older. The defense I believe is where the big question mark, just as it was last year. But, St. Mary's philosophy has pretty much been to score as much as possible and challenge the opposition to keep up with them.

St. Mary's also has a 10-0 JV team to feed the varsity and this team beat Central catholic 16-7 last season and the CC JV team ramsacked every team they played except St. Mary's. Last season CC beat St. Mary's 36-22, but this year , it may be different.
When you look at the preseason schedule that St. Mary's tackles, if they can stay heathy as this preseason schedule has to be the most brutal of any set up.
Also looking back at the Cardinal Newman game which turned out to be a shoot out, the best way to address the first five games, if you are in the area, don't miss any of them, as you won't be sorry..

Bulldog, Serra brings back most of the skill players from a team that averaged better than 35 a game last year so a shoot out is probably a good possibility. This game will be a fun one to watch. You guys always travel well and I believe all the rest of the WCAL is off that day so there ought to be a good crowd to see power teams from the CCS and SJS meet up. I know the 27th is circled on my calendar.

Serra's 2016 entry will be bolstered by a number of outstanding sophs who were key kids on a very good 2015 freshman team. That unit was 9-0 and routed every opponent with one exception: St. Francis. That game was decided by one TD.

Last edited:
DAY DATE OPPONENT @ TIME @ LOCATION
Sat Aug 20 Granite Bay Scrimmage @ 9:00AM @ Granite Bay
Sat Aug 27 Serra @ 1:00PM @ Serra
Fri Sep 02 Cardinal Newman @ 7:15PM @ St. Mary’s
Fri Sep 09 Central Catholic @ 7:15PM @ Central Catholic
Fri Sep 06 Consumnes Oaks @ 7:15PM @ St. Mary’s
Fri Sep 23 John Bosco @ 7:00PM @ John Bosco
Fri Sep 30 BYE
Fri Oct 07 Tokay @ 7:15PM @ St. Mary’s
Fri Oct 14 West @ 7:15PM @ West
Fri Oct 21 Tracy @ 7:15PM @ Tracy
Fri Oct 28 Lodi (Homecoming) @ 7:15PM @ St. Mary’s
Fri Nov 04 Lincoln @ 7:15PM @ St. Mary’

The game against St. John Bosco is on my g-friend's birthday weekend. Damn! I would have loved to be able to see that game.

Serra is really tough at home in day games. They have some size on the line, one of the best layers in the league in their QB, return lots of skill players and strong senior, junior and soph classes. I think they will be favored in a good game. Both teams have great non-league schedules.

Serra vs. St. Mary's should be great game to kick off the year. Multiple D1 athletes on the field. Also heard that Serra is putting in a brand new field this summer and that will be the first game played on it.

Serra vs. St. Mary's should be great game to kick off the year. Multiple D1 athletes on the field. Also heard that Serra is putting in a brand new field this summer and that will be the first game played on it.
DCPanda......Is the new field going to have lights or will it still be afternoon games????

No point putting in lights. City of San Mateo will permit just one night game per year. Serra is a private school and must abide by city rules. Public schools are exempt and can do pretty much whatever they want. All three SM public high schools will have lights in the very near future.

No point putting in lights. City of San Mateo will permit just one night game per year. Serra is a private school and must abide by city rules. Public schools are exempt and can do pretty much whatever they want. All three SM public high schools will have lights in the very near future.
Doesn't Mitty have the same rule? I have never understood why communities put forth these petty regulations. One game vs. 6 home games in a year of 52 weekends. I struggle to see the point.

Just saw that Serra's new football field is near completion for the first game to be played on it vs St. Mary's. The picture looked pretty good with blue end zones and a large Serra insignia at mid-field. I agree with this being the first game to expect a fairly large crowd.

Just saw that Serra's new football field is near completion for the first game to be played on it vs St. Mary's. The picture looked pretty good with blue end zones and a large Serra insignia at mid-field. I agree with this being the first game to expect a fairly large crowd.
Should be a great game. Serra, once again, has a very good non-league schedule to prep for league play. Rmbr, Will the Padres split QB time with Nunn and Damelo?

Great question. If at all possible, you want your best players on the field. We know Nunn can be a wide receiver and running back if needed. Damelio appears to be a QB period. But that's not clear. Would make some sense to feature at least a couple of special plays per game involving the two of them. We'll see.

Hmmm, yes very good question that Jordan has thrown out there. I guess only Coach Walsh knows the answer to that question, BUT since you asked here is my take. 2 season's ago soph Leki Nunn had an exceptional season as a soph starting with his first game vs the DLS Spartans.
Walsh tried an experiment part-way thru the season and inserted St. Francis transfer Hunter Bishop in at the QB spot and moved Nunn to RB/WR. The results were not good as turn-overs continued and total yards and offensive efficientcy degraded with the worst coming in a blow-out loss to Los Gatos in first round of playoffs with I believe 3-INT's.

So last season Nunn returns to his most efficient position and leads the WCAL in both passing & rushing [again if I remember correctly, and at least in both at the QB position]. In turn Leki Nunn becomes the WCAL MVP as a junior.

So a definite & unequivicable "NO" to the question of whether Nun & Demelio will split time at QB. Nunn is an exceptional "athlete" talent type player at the HS level while Damelio is a better pocket passer and less mobile. Damelio grabbed attention when he passed for 2-TD's in the loss to DLS when Nunn cramped up in the 2nd 1/2. So IMO Damelio is a very capable talent at QB, but coach Walsh will not experiment much if at all with moving Nunn around this season. You put the ball in the hands of the best athlete you have, period. Look for Damelio to get increased playing time as scores allow and will be groomed to take over reins for his senior year next season as an experienced back-up.

I believe Nunn has taken the majority of snaps in passing league. Oak Grove beat them and won the Palo Alto passing tournament. Not that it matters as Serra will pretty much run the ball most of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT