ADVERTISEMENT

Tonights Open Games

Bob33

Sports Fanatic
Aug 26, 2001
Here is how I see it going down.

Woodcreek vs Capital Christian- With all the coaching distraction and otherwise issues at CC I think WC handles CC easily and advances. I'm going with WC by 15.

DLS vs Salesian- This is going to be a war. I would not be surprised to see an OT game or a last second buzzer beater. I expect game to be in the 40's. I will say DLS by 1 mainly due to home court.

St Joes vs Mitty- I think Mitty is a lot more battle tested after playing a tough WCAL schedule and just knocking off Open Bellarmine. Plus I hear rumors Smith isn't playing for St Joes? If that is the case too much size and strength for mitty. They advance by 10.

Sheldon vs Bellarmine- I think the potential game of the night. Bellarmine scares me. Sheldon on paper is the better team. Quicker, better guards, etc. Bellarmine has size and plays methodical. If they can control the tempo and slow the game down they have a shot. This one is really tough to call. I'm going to visit later. Curious to see what others say....

Good luck to all. Great accomplishment.

Woodcreek over Capital Christian: I thought this was a potential upset special, but I think Woodcreek moves on.

De La Salle over Salesian: Best game of the night, but home court advantage is the difference for the Spartans

Mitty over St. Joseph: The loss of Smith is the difference against a Mitty team that is trending up

Sheldon over Bellarmine: Sheldon's guards and relentless style of play will wear down Bellarmine in the second half

We sound on the same page. You are probably right about Sheldon game. Its a 4 qtr game and Sheldon style is really relentless. Should be fun. I will be out reporting.

Woodcreek over Capital 75-58
Sheldon over Bellarmine 68-58
UPSET SPECIAL: Mitty over St. Joe's 65-60
Salesian over DLS 51-50

Bells need to keep score in 40's to win. Not saying they can't do that but that is really going to be key as tempo in this game dictates who will win. I would play a matchup zone and if Sheldon makes 3's you have to hand it to them. You aren't going to be able to contain there guards 1 on 1.

Mitty beating st joes without one of the best players in norcal will not be a surprise or upset. I think it will be an upset if St Joes win.

Its not. It will be an upset if St Joe's ends up winning. Honestly even if St Joe's had Smith I would have picked Mitty. They are playing really well. Is there a better 17-10 team in the state? Mitty is big and battle tested. St Joes did themselves no favors by playing in that league they are in.

Let me take a chance but give me St Joe and the win at home. Do I have an excuse if they lose?

Last edited:
Just got back from the game of the night... Sheldon vs Bellarmine. I think Bellarmine is every bit as good as any team I've seen play in Norcal this year. (including Woodcreek). This loss will sting for a long time because it was there game. They controlled the tempo. (kept in the 40's), the glass, and had superb guard play.

Four good to very good games tonight. Was kicking myself for awhile for not going out on that limb of Capital Christian.

Can De La Salle hold down Woodcreek on the road on Tuesday?

I don't like the match ups for the visiting teams. I think both favorites advance Streak. After watching all the teams this year I think Bellarmine wad definitely the most underrated.

Sheldon gets a chance to redeem itself against Mitty. Going back a few years Sheldon knocked off Salesian in a great game with tons of talent on the floor. That year Salesian beat Mitty by 20 plus. Mitty then was matched up with Sheldon at Arco and I remember everyone saying they would blow Mitty out. Turns out it was the other way around. Mitty then faced Mater Dei and loss by 5 in the open state championship. Tons of D1 talent and NBA talent as well. That year was the best in a while for Nor Cal basketball.

Guard play had been Mitty's weakness early in the season...the Monarchs have definitely improved in upsetting Bellarmine last week. Should be another great matchup at Sheldon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT