ADVERTISEMENT

Way to early PCAL top 10

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016

As according to our local sports reporter John Devine. The Link may have a pay wall.
His Rankings were:

1. Carmel
2. Monterey
3. Salinas
4. Palma
5. Soquel
6. Hollister
7. Aptos
8. Alisal
9. Scott's Valley
10. North Salinas

With this quote "Don't lose sleep over this or over react. It's June. November is when it matters the most"
(He obviously does not follow anyone on this forum.)

For me the most obvious problem is.
1. I can't rank a "B" league Carmel team over the entire Gabilan. As far as I am concerned Salinas is #1 until proven other wise.
2. No sign of the 2022 Santa Lucia champion RLS Pirates. A complete oversight.

Enjoy the summer...

Last edited:

As according to our local sports reporter John Devine. The Link may have a pay wall.
His Rankings were:

1. Carmel
2. Monterey
3. Salinas
4. Palma
5. Soquel
6. Hollister
7. Aptos
8. Alisal
9. Scott's Valley
10. North Salinas

With this quote "Don't lose sleep over this or over react. It's June. November is when it matters the most"
(He obviously does not follow anyone on this forum.)

For me the most obvious problem is.
1. I can't rank a "B" league Carmel team over the entire Gabilan. As far as I am concerned Salinas is #1 until proven other wise.
2. No sign of the 2022 Santa Lucia champion RLS Pirates. A complete oversight.

Enjoy the summer...
He knows where his targeted audience is. His rankings and predictions have always been for clicks and views.

Agree with you. Carmel will have talent including maybe top lineman on the west coast in Jackson Lloyd and QB and WR. Their lack of SOS should see them 10-0 or 9-1 going into the playoffs. I wish the Miramonte game was in Orinda (not too far from me) and I would go see them play.

I don't understand why Salinas isn't #1 either. They will reload on the lines and defense and have some talent on offense and a really strong to be junior class that should make an impact. At this stage but could change, my early favorites

Salinas- got to start them at top as a reload and talented juniors and maybe one of the top athletes at WR and safety in the league with Turner who was injured last season. Nonleague schedule is best in the area with Valley Christian and Clovis early and later Arroyo Grande in bye week during league.

Soquel - (updated and moved up) Soquel coaching is real deal (Former NFLer Dwight Lowery and staff) and they return alot on defense and line and have young talent and experienced motivated after state win and experience with extended season. Looks like they will be replacing Aptos and another strong year with young talent could have them competing over the next 3 seasons.Junior QB Sam Whelan (6-1, 175) may be 2nd best QB in the league and will be college interest if not already. He's accurate, nice spin and live arm and a dual threat. Looks like a reload for the Knights and could be #2 and may give Salinas a challenge for title. Have them higher than Dors as they beat them last season and will have more depth,

Monterey -if they can stay healthy but should be very good on offense with a very good QB in White and WR Collins and at RB. Coach Beesaw knows what he is doing. Great coaching choice by the Dors. Lack of depth could hurt them again this season and now have them behind Soquel.

Carmel (updated) at 4 or lower - could be one of their better teams in a long time with Hudson Rutherford at QB and line. Maybe a tad better than last season. Lose some RBs and Wrs (Arnold returns). Carmel should be able to score some points but tough to say how good until they play some tougher teams they will see in playoffs. They could have trouble in A league schedule and clearly one of the reasons they stayed down (may lack depth in some areas) with maybe being significantly down after this upcoming season..

Palma (could surprise if QB matures quickly), Looks like defense will be sound and they should have some speed (#1 in PCAL track and fast underclass) and lots of depth at RB and WR/TEs. Some sophs will make an impact at RBs, WRs, Line. QB is question mark but both frosh QBs (tobe sophs) are working hard and made gains. Believe at least one working with David Fales and other from video I've seen looking like they have made big improvements. Not sure about JV QB but he is 6-4 and relatively athletic, but needs experience and work with cQB coach. They have a couple seniors that could come in but I could see a soph starting. Could see them improving a lot by playoff time. Could have many sophs starting. Game against Yuma Catholic away will be an early test. One of Palma's best soph classes in years and if frosh are strong Palma should be competing at very high level in CCS in a couple years. With QB a question mark, I have them behind Salinas, Soquel and Monterey. Palma should get better during season come playoff time and could do damage again in lower division in playoffs.

Hollister - always plays good defense and they could very well compete after down season. They could surprise but have not been very good at lower levels.

Aptos - tough to say. Seems they may be down talent wise and will be tough to replace one of the top coaches in the state. Put them here but could surprise. Soquel will be the team in Santa Cruz county for net few years.

Alisal - may be higher place and it seems they have good coaches that get their players to max their talent.

Stevenson should be mentioned as should King City and Solidad.

Last edited:
Agree with you. Carmel will have talent including maybe top lineman on the west coast in Jackson Lloyd and QB and WR. Their lack of SOS should see them 10-0 or 9-1 going into the playoffs. I wish the Miramonte game was in Orinda (not too far from me) and I would go see them play.

I don't understand why Salinas isn't #1 either. They will reload on the lines and defense and have some talent on offense and a really strong to be junior class that should make an impact. At this stage but could change, my early favorites

Salinas- got to start them at top as a reload and talented juniors and maybe one of the top athletes at WR and safety in the league with Turner who was injured last season. Nonleague schedule is best in the area with Valley Christian and Clovis early and later Arroyo Grande in bye week during league.

Monterey -if they can stay healthy but should be very good on offense with a very good QB in White and WR Collins. Coach Beesaw knows what he is doing. Great coaching choice by the Dors. Lack of depth could hurt them again this season.

Carmel at 2 or 3 or lower - could be one of their best teams in a long time with Hudson Rutherford at QB and line. Lose some RBs and Wrs (Arnold returns). Carmel should be able to score some points but tough to say how good until they play some tougher teams they will see in playoffs. They could have trouble in A league schedule and clearly one of the reasons they stayed down with maybe being significantly down compared to this upcoming season in two years.

Soquel/Palma/Hollister - battle and any could place #2-3 as well but put them here with some uncertainty going into next season

Soquel coaching is real deal and they have young talent and motivated after state win and experience with extended season. Looks like they will be replacing Aptos and another strong year with young talent could have them competing over the next 3 seasons.

Palma looks like defense will be sound and they should have some speed (#1 in PCAL track and fast underclass) and lots of depth at RB and WR/TEs. Some sophs will make an impact at RBs, WRs, Line. QB is question mark but both frosh QBs are working hard and made gains. Believe at least one working with David Fales and other from video I've seen looking like they have made big improvements. Not sure about JV QB but he is 6-4 and has decent pocket presence and relatively athletic, and they have a couple seniors that could come in but I could see a soph starting. Could see them improving a lot by playoff time. Could have many sophs starting. Game against Yuma Catholic away will be an early test. One of Palma's best soph classes in years and if frosh are strong Palma should be competing at a high level in CCS in a couple years.

Hollister - always plays good defense and they could very well compete after down season

Aptos - tough to say. Seems they may be down talent wise and will be tough to replace one of the top coaches in the state. Put them hear but could surprise.

Alisal - may be higher place and it seems they have good coaches that get their players to max their talent.

Agree- Stevenson should be mentioned and
When does Palma go coed?

Palma is accepting girls this upcoming school year 2024/2025 for the first time in decades from initial charter of the school. Notre Dame is not closing. Palma started accepting 6 grader boys a couple years ago extending the middle school and now extending to girls to balance against its declining enrollment.

Palma will be accepting girls in grades 9 through 12 for the start of the 2024/2025 school year. I would expect maybe up to 30 girls to start but may be conservative or overstating. I would think majority would start in 9th grade as others mostly would have to come from other existing schools. Moving to being a charter school allowed them to circumvent the Diocese and not sure about what impact will be to Notre Dame. Probably not much initially. Not sure what Palma's differentiation will be for girls other than a Catholic oriented education with boys and girls. Notre Dame is an excellent school. Maybe girls from Madonna middle school (which is boys and girls) and some from Sacred Heart Middle School and others from mixed middle schools might find it attractive. May be incentive for some of the public middle schools. When I was at Palma, I remember a few girls taking courses at Palma and I also took a couple courses at ND (1 among three from Palma in my class). It was a positive experience. Palma had to invest in facilities to support girls. Wonder how they will support women athletics. Still lots of unknowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Streak One
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT