St. Mary's @ Bishop Amat
Lowell @ Kings Academy
Yreka @ Trinity
Campolindo @ Monte Vista
Vacaville @ El Cerritos
Mitty @ St. Francis
Monterey vs Palma @ Salinas Sports Complex

Last edited:
Gotta go with DLS and Folsom. DLS coming up to Folsom with a little momentum and a big win over St marys. I can see Spartans winning a close one.
Bishop Amat might be best 1-3 team in state. Brutal schedule with close losses to Valencia , Santa Margarita , and Rancho Cucamonga.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Gotta go with DLS and Folsom. DLS coming up to Folsom with a little momentum and a big win over St marys. I can see Spartans winning a close one.
Bishop Amat might be best 1-3 team in state. Brutal schedule with close losses to Valencia , Santa Margarita , and Rancho Cucamonga.
Agree! Bishop Amat is going to be tough! St. Mary’s needs to put the DLS loss behind them and focus on Bishop Amat and come better prepared. If the Rams offense does not get back in its groove, it going to be a very long road trip back home.

Agree! Bishop Amat is going to be tough! St. Mary’s needs to put the DLS loss behind them and focus on Bishop Amat and come better prepared. If the Rams offense does not get back in its groove, it going to be a very long road trip back home.
One thing to note is that Bishop Amat has a grass field that isn't typically in the best condition. But on the plus side, they often have an In-N-Out food truck for the concession. :p

Bulldogmgc......I think you said that all needs to say. about the game of the week and about St. Marys...

Anything except Rocklin vs Tracy.

"projection and percent chances to win: Rocklin (CA) 35 (84%) Tracy (CA) 20 (16%)"
calpreps.com

As of now, Rocklin's LB's understand reading guard and flow (in whichever manner/order they read). Anyone that watches football in the SFL knows that. Unless Rocklin doesn't have an offense show up, this game will be a blowout. Tracy has a rating of 17.8 currently. Rocklin spanked Buchanan, with a rating of 23, by a score of 42-20. Rocklin also spanked Manteca, with a rating of 25.1, 35-14. (Again, IMO, a three TD game is not close/is a "spanking"). I cannot fathom any reason why this would be the marquee match-up of the week other than Tracy beating Downey. Even with that said, Downey is very well coached and severely lacks in "Jimmys and Joes". Furthermore, Downey's QB was out vs Tracy, which is, understated, huge for Downey. Maybe a "pick 'ems" game, (I get it, but still is a stretch for me, IMO) because "on any given Friday night" type of thing... But game of the week?!?!?!?

Many other games should be GOTW before Rocklin vs Tracy. If we are considering that game, where are the arguments for Willows at Orland?!?
projection: Orland (CA) 62-0
calpreps.com

Anything except Rocklin vs Tracy.

"projection and percent chances to win: Rocklin (CA) 35 (84%) Tracy (CA) 20 (16%)"
calpreps.com

As of now, Rocklin's LB's understand reading guard and flow (in whichever manner/order they read). Anyone that watches football in the SFL knows that. Unless Rocklin doesn't have an offense show up, this game will be a blowout. Tracy has a rating of 17.8 currently. Rocklin spanked Buchanan, with a rating of 23, by a score of 42-20. Rocklin also spanked Manteca, with a rating of 25.1, 35-14. (Again, IMO, a three TD game is not close/is a "spanking"). I cannot fathom any reason why this would be the marquee match-up of the week other than Tracy beating Downey. Even with that said, Downey is very well coached and severely lacks in "Jimmys and Joes". Furthermore, Downey's QB was out vs Tracy, which is, understated, huge for Downey. Maybe a "pick 'ems" game, (I get it, but still is a stretch for me, IMO) because "on any given Friday night" type of thing... But game of the week?!?!?!?

Many other games should be GOTW before Rocklin vs Tracy. If we are considering that game, where are the arguments for Willows at Orland?!?
projection: Orland (CA) 62-0
calpreps.com
Lol, solid post. I can't say I disagree entirely but Tracy is a formidable Offense and their Defense is solid as well. They are almost identical to Rocklin in PF/PA albeit different opponents, and styles make fights. We all have opinions and I respect yours of course.

Being a bit homerish here I would love to see this game featured for two reasons;

1. Tracy has earned the right to be taken seriously, they are undefeated and run a entertaining offense IMO.

2. They are ranked #2 behind Rocklin in SJS Div 2 rankings via Maxpreps so they aren't a slouch and a #1 vs. #2 isnt typically beyond the reach of Featured. As for calpreps this early in the season, meh.

As far as Rocklin defense, the strength thus far is their Run defense. Guard and flow linebacker reads is a view from 10,000 feet. Mesh reads perhaps, midline, veer and counter, defending an undefeated triple option team comes down to scheme/coaching and not all is what it appears. I'm excited to see an SFL teams approach to defending this.

In terms of Willows vs Orland, sure why not. I have used both city rest stops with urgency in the past. I'm chomping at the bit to learn more of this rivalry. 🤣

Reactions: Macallan
In terms of Willows vs Orland, sure why not. I have used both city rest stops with urgency in the past. I'm chomping at the bit to learn more of this rivalry. 🤣
It is the 99th game for the Battle of the Axe! Although Orland has owned it since 2009. Orland also leads the all-time record in the series, 53-43-1.

Lol, solid post. I can't say I disagree entirely but Tracy is a formidable Offense and their Defense is solid as well. They are almost identical to Rocklin in PF/PA albeit different opponents, and styles make fights. We all have opinions and I respect yours of course.

Being a bit homerish here I would love to see this game featured for two reasons;

1. Tracy has earned the right to be taken seriously, they are undefeated and run a entertaining offense IMO.

2. They are ranked #2 behind Rocklin in SJS Div 2 rankings via Maxpreps so they aren't a slouch and a #1 vs. #2 isnt typically beyond the reach of Featured. As for calpreps this early in the season, meh.

As far as Rocklin defense, the strength thus far is their Run defense. Guard and flow linebacker reads is a view from 10,000 feet. Mesh reads perhaps, midline, veer and counter, defending an undefeated triple option team comes down to scheme/coaching and not all is what it appears. I'm excited to see an SFL teams approach to defending this.

I think you meant MaxPreps Standings (NOT Rankings) which is based on W-L record and not much else. For MaxPreps Rankings please refer to this area in the MaxPreps app/website: https://t.maxpreps.com/3PnBdER

Standings vs rankings are very misleading, IMHO. Although I’m picking Tracy in my pick’ems as my 1pt upset win, I anticipate a blowout by Rocklin as well, but hoping on “any given Friday”, we might get an upset in the making or at least a much closer game. But, this may require Rocklin’s QB to go down, too (not at all hoping for this). Forgot that the Downey QB was out in the game vs Tracy. Similarly, I think Manteca was hampered big-time vs Rocklin and St. Mary’s without their stud RB Bryson Davis. Manteca does not beat VDL without Bryson Davis. Not saying Manteca beats St. Mary’s or Rocklin with Davis, but would have been a closer game for each. Changing my 1pt pick’em to Rocklin but still keeping it as my 1 pointer with hope “any given Friday” kicks in and we “might” get a closer game, for pick’em strategy only with some picking Rocklin as 10 pointer.

THE UBDEFEATED TEAMS FACE THEIR FIRST LOSS AND THERE ARE 30 TEAMS that will see about 60% or more teams going down.. The top dogs are Armijo at 5-0, Twelve bridges at 5-0 At Lincoln, Oakridge at 5-0, Del Oro at 5-0, Stone Ridge Christian at 5-0, Teams with four wins are Tracy 4-0, Patterson at 4-0, Rocklin at 4-0, Cardinal Newman at 4-0, San Ramon at 4-0, Woodlan Christian at 4-0, Portola at 4-0..THE teams with 3-0 are Fall River 3-0,St.Bernard at 3-0,Fortuna at 3-0, Marin Catholic at 3-0, San Marin at 3-0, Redwood at 3-0, San Rafeal at 3-0, St. Vincent at 3-0, El Cerrito at 3-0, Salesian at 3-0, St. Patrick-Vincent at 3-0, Napa at 3-0, Alameda 3-0, THE balance are at 2-0 and are not listed
NEW SCHOOLS ENTER THE 2023 season....Esparta, just north of Winters, Golden Sierra, West Parks at Roseville, Pleasant Grove and Franklin of El Grove....
Big game for Amijo who is 5-0 is against Vanden and will they will have their hands full.

I think you meant MaxPreps Standings (NOT Rankings) which is based on W-L record and not much else. For MaxPreps Rankings please refer to this area in the MaxPreps app/website: https://t.maxpreps.com/3PnBdER

Standings vs rankings are very misleading, IMHO. Although I’m picking Tracy in my pick’ems as my 1pt upset win, I anticipate a blowout by Rocklin as well, but hoping on “any given Friday”, we might get an upset in the making or at least a much closer game. But, this may require Rocklin’s QB to go down, too (not at all hoping for this). Forgot that the Downey QB was out in the game vs Tracy. Similarly, I think Manteca was hampered big-time vs Rocklin and St. Mary’s without their stud RB Bryson Davis. Manteca does not beat VDL without Bryson Davis. Not saying Manteca beats St. Mary’s or Rocklin with Davis, but would have been a closer game for each. Changing my 1pt pick’em to Rocklin but still keeping it as my 1 pointer with hope “any given Friday” kicks in and we “might” get a closer game, for pick’em strategy only with some picking Rocklin as 10 pointer.
Good info, I think I was probing MaxPreps in haste. Rankings and Standings are two different things. I do agree Davis is a game changer, and in retrospect on the Rocklin vs. Manteca game he certainly would have churned more yards perhaps worth a td for argument sake. If luck and health be with the Thunder, a rematch would be awesome. I don't think either St. Mary's or Rocklin lose that game even with Davis. I think Tracy will be a good game, not a blowout unless
It is the 99th game for the Battle of the Axe! Although Orland has owned it since 2009. Orland also leads the all-time record in the series, 53-43-1.
That's a great name for a rivalry game or even a few ex-wives. Reading the tea leaves will Willows be competitive in future matchup's?

That's a great name for a rivalry game or even a few ex-wives. Reading the tea leaves will Willows be competitive in future matchup's?
Willows has historically been the better program and owns the record for most wins in the Northern Section with over 560 as well as the longest winning streak of 36 games. Orland has been on a tear lately since they started using the Offense from Clayton Valley Charter, while Willows has definitely been down. Willows will be moving back in to the SVL which is more competitive than the MVL so they must think they will be getting better. With small schools, it only takes a few good athletes to have a great season.

Reactions: Santa Ball
THE UBDEFEATED TEAMS FACE THEIR FIRST LOSS AND THERE ARE 30 TEAMS that will see about 60% or more teams going down.. The top dogs are Armijo at 5-0, Twelve bridges at 5-0 At Lincoln, Oakridge at 5-0, Del Oro at 5-0, Stone Ridge Christian at 5-0, Teams with four wins are Tracy 4-0, Patterson at 4-0, Rocklin at 4-0, Cardinal Newman at 4-0, San Ramon at 4-0, Woodlan Christian at 4-0, Portola at 4-0..THE teams with 3-0 are Fall River 3-0,St.Bernard at 3-0,Fortuna at 3-0, Marin Catholic at 3-0, San Marin at 3-0, Redwood at 3-0, San Rafeal at 3-0, St. Vincent at 3-0, El Cerrito at 3-0, Salesian at 3-0, St. Patrick-Vincent at 3-0, Napa at 3-0, Alameda 3-0, THE balance are at 2-0 and are not listed
NEW SCHOOLS ENTER THE 2023 season....Esparta, just north of Winters, Golden Sierra, West Parks at Roseville, Pleasant Grove and Franklin of El Grove....
Big game for Amijo who is 5-0 is against Vanden and will they will have their hands full.
THE UNDETEATED TEAM in Oakland is Oakland high at 3-0...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT