ADVERTISEMENT

West Coast Jamboree Platinum 2018

Troy beat LBP by one tonite...yesterday beat Bishop Montgomery by 12...
they got one more.... Mater Dei tomorrow...the game with Salesian might be a good opening round game

MM IMO isn't at this point in the season a Platinum level team after losing Steele, Bryant, and Sam IMO their three best players. They weren't even at the Platinum level last season with those three IMO. Also in my opinion MM typically overachieves each year. Even when they had Sabrina IMO they weren't the most talented or deepest team in California, but could give the best teams a great challenge. I think by season's end they will be a better team than they start the season as.

Typically the past 4 years Carondelet has been the exact same team in March that they started out as in November. My guess is the new coach doesn't want to start them out too high a level to harm or set back their confidence. He has to get a little time to get to see what he's working with to know what lanes and roles his players best fit in. I think time and observation will help him see just who should be best to start ( might adjust depending on each opponent), what combinations to use, and what players to place in his 8 or 9 player rotation. That also wasn't a priority or consideration with the prior coach which hurt their chances to improve individually and as a team confidently by season's end, resulting in a first game elimination in the playoffs each season. I'm sure after watching the rust they had in their foundation game, the new coach knows they need to put some work in to confidently be at the Platinum or Open Division level. So IMO they're (MM and Carondelet) at this point, are in the right division. Neither are 100% guaranteed to win the Diamond division, or even make it to the championship game. Carondelet's game with Bear Creek will give a better indication of where they are than anyone really knows at this point.

I was more surprised to see Heritage at the Gold level than seeing MM and Carondelet in the Diamond. I think putting Heritage in the Diamond (if not Platinum) with MM and Carondelet would have made that a more interesting division. But I see good teams that are capable of playing in the Platinum level in both the Diamond and Gold divisions. There has to be a limit to just who makes it into each division. So I'm sure space as well as coaches request both plays a part in who makes it into each division each season.

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
MM IMO isn't at this point in the season a Platinum level team after losing Steele, Bryant, and Sam IMO their three best players. They weren't even at the Platinum level last season with those three IMO. Also in my opinion MM typically overachieves each year. Even when they had Sabrina IMO they weren't the most talented or deepest team in the league, but could give the best teams a great challenge. I think by season's end they will be a better team than they start the season as.

Typically the past 4 years Carondelet has been the exact same team in March that they started out as in November. My guess is the new coach doesn't want to start them out too high a level to harm or set back their confidence. He has to get a little time to get to see what he's working with to know what lanes and roles his players best fit in. I think that will help him see just who should be best to start, what combinations to use, and what players to place in his 8 or 9 player rotation. That also wasn't a priority or consideration with the prior coach which hurt their chances to improve individually and as a team by season's end resulting in a first game elimination in the playoffs each season. I'm sure after watching the rust they had in their foundation game the new coach knows they need to put some work in to confidently be at the Platinum or Open Division level. So IMO they're (MM and Carondelet) are at this point in the right division. Neither are 100% guaranteed to win the Diamond division. Carondelet's game with Bear Creek will give a better indication of were they are than anyone really knows at this point. I was more surprised to see Heritage at the Gold level than seeing MM and Carondelet in the Diamond. I think putting Heritage in the Diamond (if not Platinum) with MM and Carondelet would have made that a more interesting division. But I see good teams that are capable of playing in the Platinum level in both the Diamond and Gold divisions. There has to be a limit to just who makes it into each division. So I'm sure space as well as coaches request both plays a part in who makes it into each division each season.
I think the same about MM they lost some key players but they will be in the hunt along with Clet when it counts.

sorry... I have to make the argument that C-let is already scheduled to play Salesian, Pinewood and St Mary's. That is along with Bear Creek, MM, SJND and Mitty. That doesn't sound like a duck to me... prove me wrong

Since it has gone to 8 teams, is 4 out of NorCal teams (including Clovis North in that group) the highest number?

Will provide some different looks

Looks like things have changed a bit in several of the brackets. Sounds like things aren't in stone just yet.

At the moment, Pinewood is on a tough side of the Platinum bracket facing a tough first round game with Alemany. And a tough second round game most likely with an experienced Etiwanda team. If they can get past Alemany. Not that both Pinewood and Etiwanda can't lose their first game to another quality opponents Sacramento or Alemany. Because that's why they play the game(s). I think Sacramento is the longest shot to make it to the championship game on this side of the bracket. But that's why they play the game(s).

Meanwhile the size match up in Salesian's first game against Troy should make for an interesting game as their 6 ft 5 and other 6 footer(s) might somewhat neutralize a bit of Angel Jackson's size. Clovis North recently beat Heritage ( a good team) so they may play well against the other three giant teams in the bracket. Will their lack of size be an issue is the question. I think Clovis North is the longest shot to make it to the championship of the 3 teams. But that's why they play the game(s).

Southern California teams being somewhat unfamiliar might also be an added challenge for a Norcal team like Pinewood who could end up not playing one Norcal team even if they make it all the way to the championship game. Unless Salesian and Carondelet can both do well should they end up facing Troy, a team with as much size as they have. But on the flip side Pinewood not running into one of the 3 tallest teams (Salesian, Carondelet, or Troy) until possibly the championship game might weigh in their favor too. Although Etiwanda does have good size should Pinewood run into them in the 2nd round. Not that Pinewood hasn't played well competing at a size disadvantage in the past. So every team might get a good challenge.

I think these teams will find this years WCJ Platinum division perhaps close to as challenging as going on the road and playing the tough teams at the Nike TOC. Good job putting together a few elite WCJ brackets this year Clay and associates. I'm sure their all good if they're in the platinum Division. I can't speak too intelligently about any of the Southern California teams. But I have seen Pinewood, Salesian and Carondelet all good teams capable of winning it all.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT