ADVERTISEMENT

What Happened State Title Best of the Best

HSWIZARD73

Sports Fanatic
May 17, 2017
Hello to all. I decided per another thread and a old high school basketball junkie, to do some research and provide info on why this new system the CIF has in place is pathetic when it comes to state title teams.

For those that don’t know before my first year at Golden 1 which developed health issues, I sat on the floor at Arco for quite a few years, and why to watch the best of the best line up and go at it.

So a debate has been generated and some feel the state title games lack the best talent and teams, and others think it is great.

Well today I am gonna turn back the clock to 2008. I remember watching outside of Jason Kidd, the best state performance I have ever seen, it was amazing. But before I provide The Who’s who of the below, please of your respond explain to me how the lineup of this past weekend even comes close. Anyways let’s get to the matchups. I will note the amazing kid last.

D1 We had Dominguez Compton play McClymonds Oakland. Unfortunately I had a hard time finding the roster and info on Dominguez, but let’s go with McClymonds who won.

Frank Otis Weber State, Will Cherry a tad bit of time planting with that dude King James in Cleveland, and Damon Powell who could jump from Sacramento back to Oakland.

D2 We had Mater Dei play Mitty.

Gary Franklin Baylor, those Wear twins who went to that college that dude Air Jordan went to, and Andy Brown who went to Stanford.

Colin Chiverton St Mary’s, John Adam’s Lehigh, Andoh Bucknell, and that dude AG brother DG who went to UCLA

D5 We had Branson versus Renaissance Academy, Oliver Harvard McNelly versus Hector Pepperdine Harold

Now this of you that think this collective equity is awesome, follow me further cause now it gets great.

D4 We had Campbell Hall versus St Mary’s Berkeley. We had this kid some of you have heard named Jrue Holiday, when his contract is up he will have made just under 300mil versus Will Brew UCSB

And last but not least, your local love, one half of the splash brothers, D3 Santa Margarita versus Sac High, KLAY THOMPSON, with his teammate aka his brother who plays for Dodgers along with another teammate who played as a tight end for the Cowboys.

Their opponent light weight work, 7 foot Robert Garret Santa Clara and Chase Tapley whose father is a NorCal prep legend San Diego State.

In closing and as a basketball junkie, this is state championship competition PERIOD. The way it is now, and as good ole Vukovoch said, it’s now participation. So this junkie doesn’t want to watch players, I want to watch the best of the best. Bring back the old system.

And I could provide many other years. Jordan Hamilton, Tyshaun Prince, Jeremy Lin, James Harden, I could go on and on. Peace out, the current system is completely broken.

Hello to all. I decided per another thread and a old high school basketball junkie, to do some research and provide info on why this new system the CIF has in place is pathetic when it comes to state title teams.

For those that don’t know before my first year at Golden 1 which developed health issues, I sat on the floor at Arco for quite a few years, and why to watch the best of the best line up and go at it.

So a debate has been generated and some feel the state title games lack the best talent and teams, and others think it is great.

Well today I am gonna turn back the clock to 2008. I remember watching outside of Jason Kidd, the best state performance I have ever seen, it was amazing. But before I provide The Who’s who of the below, please of your respond explain to me how the lineup of this past weekend even comes close. Anyways let’s get to the matchups. I will note the amazing kid last.

D1 We had Dominguez Compton play McClymonds Oakland. Unfortunately I had a hard time finding the roster and info on Dominguez, but let’s go with McClymonds who won.

Frank Otis Weber State, Will Cherry a tad bit of time planting with that dude King James in Cleveland, and Damon Powell who could jump from Sacramento back to Oakland.

Gary Franklin Baylor, those Wear twins who went to that college that dude Air Jordan went to, and Andy Brown who went to Stanford.

Colin Chiverton St Mary’s, John Adam’s Lehigh, Andoh Bucknell, and that dude AG brother DG who went to UCLA

D5 We had Branson versus Renaissance Academy, Oliver Harvard McNelly versus Hector Pepperdine Harold

Now this of you that think this collective equity is awesome, follow me further cause now it gets great.

D4 We had Campbell Hall versus St Mary’s Berkeley. We had this kid some of you have heard named Jrue Holiday, when his contract is up he will have made just under 300mil versus Will Brew UCSB

And last but not least, your local love, one half of the splash brothers, D3 Santa Margarita versus Sac High, KLAY THOMPSON, with his teammate aka his brother who plays for Dodgers along with another teammate who played as a tight end for the Cowboys.

Their opponent light weight work, 7 foot Robert Garret Santa Clara and Chase Tapley whose father is a NorCal prep legend San Diego State.

In closing and as a basketball junkie, this is state championship competition PERIOD. The way it is now, and as good ole Vukovoch said, it’s now participation. So this junkie doesn’t want to watch players, I want to watch the best of the best. Bring back the old system.

And I could provide many other years. Jordan Hamilton, Tyshaun Prince, Jeremy Lin, James Harden, I could go on and on. Peace out, the current system is completely broken.
Sadly the CIF doesn’t want to watch great teams and players play. Who wants to watch all state, all American, McDonald all Americans and future pros?

WIZARD Thanks for the memories.

Oh how I remember that state. Chase went off for like 40, but Klay went off for more.
That Renaissance team came in averaging close to 70 points per game.
At half time the score was 15 to 21 for Branson. I had taken 4 kids with me to Arco. At half time I told them that the lead was insurmountable.
Final score - Branson 40 Renaissance 33. They didn't know what hit them.

That was Coach Moe's magic season going undefeated. Damario Sims ( Mac ) went on to have a great 4 years at Chico State, and loved every minute of it.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Sadly agree man. Cause like I said a few days back, watching teams with 10 and 12 losses on the season and teams getting lucky cause the worse St Joe’s team in years knocked off one in the Nor Cals, just doesn’t get me going. I was online at 10am to get the floor seats, now, and like I said previous, maybe I will shoot it to catch the open boys and girls. And I haven’t started with girls. But man at that level back in the day, I witnessed some awesome girls games as well. It made for a great weekend for nor cal then state that followed. With this system, you will be lucky to catch a future NBA player. I have seen plenty

WIZARD Thanks for the memories.

Oh how I remember that state. Chase went off for like 40, but Klay went off for more.
That Renaissance team came in averaging close to 70 points per game.
At half time the score was 15 to 21 for Branson. I had taken 4 kids with me to Arco. At half time I told them that the lead was insurmountable.
Final score - Branson 40 Renaissance 33. They didn't know what hit them.

That was Coach Moe's magic season going undefeated. Damario Sims ( Mac ) went on to have a great 4 years at Chico State, and loved every minute of it.

Here's wishing you great hoops
Thanks for doing what you do for high school hoops. Your tournament is something I really want to get to one day. It reminds me of the Maui Classic of college. And I am glad you get some really good quality teams. I will have to bite the bullet one day, just get me a floor seat, hahahahaha. Take care

Sadly agree man. Cause like I said a few days back, watching teams with 10 and 12 losses on the season and teams getting lucky cause the worse St Joe’s team in years knocked off one in the Nor Cals, just doesn’t get me going. I was online at 10am to get the floor seats, now, and like I said previous, maybe I will shoot it to catch the open boys and girls. And I haven’t started with girls. But man at that level back in the day, I witnessed some awesome girls games as well. It made for a great weekend for nor cal then state that followed. With this system, you will be lucky to catch a future NBA player. I have seen plenty
I’m right there with you. I’m sure we passed each other in that old drafty arco arena.

How about Arcata just beats St Joes?

will Murray sts ncaa tourney run now be a joke because they are facing St. Peter’s and not Kentucky in the next round?

you play the teams put in front of you period. One thing I will say I agree with, is you should only be able to move up divisions, you shouldn’t be able to move down.

But the fact you guys are still obsessing about this a week later. I mean get over it. Things aren’t changing!

How about Arcata just beats St Joes?

will Murray sts ncaa tourney run now be a joke because they are facing St. Peter’s and not Kentucky in the next round?

you play the teams put in front of you period. One thing I will say I agree with, is you should only be able to move up divisions, you shouldn’t be able to move down.

But the fact you guys are still obsessing about this a week later. I mean get over it. Things aren’t changing!
You know man I would truly break it further down as I was highly involved in high school basketball at one time. But it is hard to break down such to a guy who is just a fan and possibly was in middle school in the year my post references. But I will give you a sniff about me.

I watched Jason Kidd live many times at ST JOES. I sat next to Roy Williams having discussions while he was watching his commit Andrew(yes that was his name at the time) Gooden at El Cerrito.

I have coached summer league at De La Salle, and assisted against the Mitty’s, Chaminades, Sacramento, my alum SHC, Enterprise, Luezinger, and future NBA players. And have spoke to people whose son went to Duke about what did I think.

So in regards to my post, it relates to my groomsman who played at Arizona State and was Nor Cal player of the year and lost to Mater Dei when we didn’t have six divisions. It relates to kids who played with Lebron James on the Oakland Soldiers. And it sure the hell doesn’t relate to you nor could you tell me any different due to my background and resume when it comes to high school basketball.

I care less Stuart Hall and Justin Sienna and Venice almost won as well. I have had enough interaction in the past so when two kids leave a school like Riordan and go to a prep school which I personally can’t stand when they do, in my day prep school for California kids was a 5th year option for qualifying purposes, and Riordan still competes and legitimately got screwed having to travel and if the old setup would have possibly made it to state after all of that, that’s my passion in relationship to high school basketball. I want to see the best play period.

So if you want to respond to this feel free, their is no obsession at all, well wait maybe there is, the obsession to see teams and players like I did related to this post. But I definitely ain’t obsessed with a guy whose resume can’t even sniff mine when it comes to high school basketball.

Last edited:
And one last thing Ayalar, I was offered a scouting job with the Toronto Raptors when Lenny Wilkins was there coach. His son was best friends with a client of mine, and when my client told him about my passion, I was offered a job when the raptors were in town. Unfortunately I had bills as a young man including a kid. So to leave my son and head to Canada and start all over in life, I had to pass which I regret often. But my point is not everyone on this site is just a fan. So please understand you ain’t addressing just other fans. You are also addressing many knowledgeable people on here when it comes to basketball.

Reactions: larry legend33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT