ADVERTISEMENT

1st Annual Bishop O'Dowd Thanksgiving Showcase - Nov 25th & 26th - Schedule

TheNewPea

Sports Fanatic
Oct 22, 2004
The 1st Annual Bishop O'Dowd Thanksgiving Showcase will inaugurate the brand new Steve Phelps Court at Bishop O'Dowd High School

Friday - November 25th

3PM - GRANT vs. MOREAU CATHOLIC
4:30PM - BEVERLY HILLS vs. OAKLAND TECH
6PM - VANDEN vs. BISHOP O'DOWD
7:30PM - CORONADO (NV) vs. MODESTO CHRISTIAN

Saturday - November 26th

12:30PM - BEVERLY HILLS vs. OAKWOOD
2PM - BENICIA vs. MOREAU CATHOLIC
3:30PM - CORONADO vs. SALESIAN
5PM - BISHOP GORMAN (NV) VS. BISHOP O'DOWD

Didn’t both Phelps brothers spend their careers at Bishop O’Dowd? Mike was a legendary coach for the Dragons. Surprised the new facility is not named for both of them. Great to see a start to an annual hoops showcase!

Last edited:
Steve spent close to 20 years at Saint Ignatius. Went to O’Dowd in the early 2000’s

Ambitious folks might be able to attend the Saturday session and still rush to Dublin to catch the late games of the NorCal Tip Off Classic

I'll be there Friday, Saturday for me is the Tip-Off Showacse at Dublin due to the fact Campo is playing midday at Dublin

Reactions: concrete17
Didn’t both Phelps brothers spend their careers at Bishop O’Dowd? Mike was a legendary coach for the Dragons. Surprised the new facility is not named for both of them. Great to see a start to an annual hoops showcase!
Steve was President at time of his passing and new gym building was his vision. Mike was longtime coach won many games and titles but left after some legal issues over past discretions.

Steve was President at time of his passing and new gym building was his vision. Mike was longtime coach won many games and titles but left after some legal issues over past discretions.
Exactly. Without the “past discretions”, they would no doubt have had both of their names tied to it. Looking forward to seeing the new facility!

I'm also looking forward to seeing the new place... O'Dowd has been a bigtime program for several decades, it's nice they won't be playing in that rinky-dink and unsafe water closet that's been their home for so long...

Reactions: remc and M.C. fan
Looking forward to this weekend games at O’Dowd… new facility is incredible… O’Dowd is young but talented, worried about matchup with Gorman, excited to see Both MC’s… Modesto and Moreau

Reactions: M.C. fan
O'Dowd was handled 63-35 by DLS the other night, so O'Dowd will need to get better quick in order to deal with Bishop Gorman, who is ranked #11 in the country by MaxPreps. Vanden on Friday will be tough, too.

Just for kicks and giggles, my picks for Friday:

Moreau over Grant
Beverly Hills over Oakland Tech
Vanden over O'Dowd
MC over Coronado

Reactions: M.C. fan
Great new gym however based on Tuesday’s games vs DLS the school needs to get better scoreboard operators. Frequently the shot clock or game clock either didn’t start or was kept running. None of the players numbers, points, or fouls were posted on the board. Very impressive scoreboards, De la Salle should take note for both their gym and football field.

Update: scoreboard issues were technical and not operator error.

Last edited:
Steve spent close to 20 years at Saint Ignatius. Went to O’Dowd in the early 2000’s
Steve coached me on JV at SI. Fond memories. Lots of laughs on that team. He worked hard on the court for us. Spent the extra time on our shot form etc. drove the big yellow school bus and dropped guys off at their houses if they were on the other side of town.

The 1st Annual Bishop O'Dowd Thanksgiving Showcase will inaugurate the brand new Steve Phelps Court at Bishop O'Dowd High School

Friday - November 25th

3PM - GRANT vs. MOREAU CATHOLIChhg
4:30PM - BEVERLY HILLS vs. OAKLAND TECH
6PM - VANDEN vs. BISHOP O'DOWD
7:30PM - CORONADO (NV) vs. MODESTO CHRISTIAN

Saturday - November 26th

12:30PM - BEVERLY HILLS vs. OAKWOOD
2PM - BENICIA vs. MOREAU CATHOLIC
3:30PM - CORONADO vs. SALESIAN
5PM - BISHOP GORMAN (NV) VS. BISHOP O'DOWD
Salesian College Prep suffered a tough loss to Coronado (NV) Saturday night 53 - 55 on a buzzer beater by Sebastian Mack. Kids played hard. View entire game.

Salesian College Prep suffered a tough loss to Coronado (NV) Saturday night 53 - 55 on a buzzer beater by Sebastian Mack. Kids played hard. View entire game.

Thanks for the post. Great look at BOD’s new facility too.

No! Steve was at O’Dowd in the early 80’s.
Actually not. Steve was at Sacred Heart Grammar School in SF until St. Ignatius hired him (mid 80s?). He was there until O’ Dowd hired him in the early 2000s (want to say 2003). You might be mixing him up with brother Mike who came to O’Dowd from St. Joe’s-Alameda in the late 70s (1978?),,,,

Reactions: jordan24 and remc
Please get your FACTS straight!
I went to BOD. I would know. SMH

Phelps started his coaching career at St. Josephs in 1971 before a mass exodus there brought him to Bishop O’ Dowd in 1979.

The basketball team followed.

In the next 24 years at O’Dowd, Phelps became the winningest coach in California boys basketball history. His record-setting 829th win came after a 2003 victory over Tennyson — and he’d win 14 more — though controversy forced him into administrative leave for the record-breaking moment.

Reactions: remc

Phelps started his coaching career at St. Josephs in 1971 before a mass exodus there brought him to Bishop O’ Dowd in 1979.

In the next 24 years at O’Dowd, Phelps became the winningest coach in California boys basketball history. His record-setting 829th win came after a 2003 victory over Tennyson — and he’d win 14 more — though controversy forced him into administrative leave for the record-breaking moment.
That’s is all correct except Mike Phelps was that coach. Steve was 1st school president and created vision for new gym. Steve came from SI and was a city guy prior to coming to O’Dowd.

I was at BOD in 72-74 Frosh-Soph….the coaches then were Coach Al Ferreira Varsity(who replaced Frank LaPorte i believe) Kevin Donahue JV and Jack Dold was frosh…before my family moved to Auburn and i attended Placer.I loved BOD,…at that time the Dragons Varsity had Grantland Bailey,Scott Finney,GeorgeAndrews,Bruce Chess all Soph’s with big Mike Moynihan and Mike Rafael Jr’s.I was on the frosh team with Mike Ward,Rodney Neal,Dominic Pontrelli,Jim Collins,Scott Teixeira….good times!

Last edited:
Reactions: Coach55Coach

Exactly right

Except, as has been pointed out ad nauseum, this was coach Mike! I was referring to his brother Steve, and I had my facts correct from the get go!
Yes, I m aware it was about Coach Mike. I remember it was a big deal at the time when he left St Joes to take the O'Dowd job. And brought over some of team from St Joes with him

Reactions: BadBucks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT