ADVERTISEMENT

26th MLK Classic at De La Salle

Potential James vs. Kuminga matchup...

From what I’ve heard Emeneke is way ahead of Kuminga on the depth chart.

More like Rencher and Sensley both top 40 prospects in their classes versus James and whatever other top ranked prospects that join them between now and then.

DLS may play Campbell since they are the host, but I think they’d be better off playing BOD, Moreau Catholic or Folsom

Reactions: cityfan
Campbell hall was not great the two times I saw them this summer. De la salle always likes to play the biggest name out of area team.
I could see De la salle playing Campbell Hall, St. Josephs or Modesto Christian.

I could see De la salle playing Campbell Hall, St. Josephs or Modesto Christian.
St Joe or Modesto would be teams they meet in the playoffs. Probably don't want to play them twice. Modesto beat st Joe's at MLK then lost in playoffs to them.

this has to be at st marys or dvc. the gate will be outrageous for this event.
Sure hope so... I don't know if the updated gym at DVC has any more seats than DLS, haven't seen it yet.

Contra Costa College would be great, though... Or even Dublin HS. If they hold the event at DLS, it'll be hard to get in, for sure... Especially with the strange way DLS releases tix to GoFan. You never know when they're going to become available.

Alright based on feedback let’s assume the games go a little something like this:

Oakwood vs. Jesuit
Folsom vs. Bishop O’Dowd
Moreau Catholic Vs. Clovis North
Redwood-Larkspur vs. Capital Christian
Modesto Christian Vs. Branson
Salesian Vs. St Joseph-Santa Maria
Riordan Vs. Campbell Hall
Notre Dame Prep (AZ) Vs. DLS

Kind of big news concerning this tournament

Bryce James has announced he is transferring to ND Sherman Oaks

Kind of big news concerning this tournament

Bryce James has announced he is transferring to ND Sherman Oaks
If affects the paparazzi and buzz about the game but not much else. CH has multiple d1 guards and should be a good game.

It looks like Crean Lutheran (VJ Miller has transferred back to them) replaces Campbell Hall. Updated schedule:

Moreau Catholic vs. Redwood
Folsom vs. Oakwood
Modesto Christian vs. Notre Dame Prep (AZ)
Jesuit vs. Clovis North

De La Salle vs. Crean Lutheran
Branson vs. St Joseph Santa Maria
Salesian vs. Riordan
Bishop O'Dowd vs. Capital Christian

Sure hope so... I don't know if the updated gym at DVC has any more seats than DLS, haven't seen it yet.

Contra Costa College would be great, though... Or even Dublin HS. If they hold the event at DLS, it'll be hard to get in, for sure... Especially with the strange way DLS releases tix to GoFan. You never know when they're going to become available.
For several years DLS hosted the MLK at Cal's Haas Pavilion. Anybody know why that venue was discontinued ? Based on the projected scheduling that would seem to be a perfect site (not to mention that it is 15 minutes from my front door -by car)

Last edited:
For several years DLS hosted the MLK at Cal's Haas Pavilion. Anybody know why that venue was discontinued ? Based on the projected scheduling that would seem to be a perfect site (not to mention that it is 15 minutes from my front door -by car)
Plus it was held at St. Mary’s College for a number of years as well. I’m sure it’s expensive to rent out those larger college gyms, but as a fan I’ve really enjoyed attending this event for the last 20 or so years, regardless of location.

Dublin high would be a great choice and cheaper than St Mary’s or Cal. Maybe co-host?

De La Salle needs to redo their bleachers and add stairs. It is difficult for older or physically challenged people to get seating. I realize it would take away seats so actually the whole gym could use an expansion.

Dublin high would be a great choice and cheaper than St Mary’s or Cal. Maybe co-host?

De La Salle needs to redo their bleachers and add stairs. It is difficult for older or physically challenged people to get seating. I realize it would take away seats so actually the whole gym could use an expansion.
delasalle probably doesnt want to you use their event at a rival school.

Reactions: ayalar09
The events at HAAS were great. I loved it when it was hosted by DLS at CAL. Not sure but I stopped going all of the time after they changed it. St Mary’s wasn’t bad though. A hs gym with that lineup is no good.

Reactions: concrete17
The events at HAAS were great. I loved it when it was hosted by DLS at CAL. Not sure but I stopped going all of the time after they changed it. St Mary’s wasn’t bad though. A hs gym with that lineup is no good.
Hass was beyond great. They even let you bring in food!
And they had in and out access. That was the best.

Here's wishing you great hoops.

Reactions: larry legend33
I’m surprised there is no high school event at Oakland arena.

Not much going on there. Pretty central to all schools.

I understand the interest in a bigger venue but I actually prefer it at DLS. They split it into 2 sessions and 90% of the spectators are there for 1-2 games max. It’s a zoo for like 2-3 evening games but it’s standing room only and the atmosphere is great. Something you can’t get at a larger venue half full. And I’m sure DLS is making a killing at the door and not having to rent out a college facility.

I feel like when they played at Haas, it was the only gig around, so everybody had an opportunity to attend. They even included a girls game. Nowadays, there are dozens of MLK events, so a lot of people have other obligations and the DLS event isn’t as exclusive as it was BITD. That could be a major factor in their decision to just host it at DLS.

Reactions: cityfan
He wasn’t able to gain eligibility at Crean……

And rumor has it at one point Miller did the whole it’s either me or him thing with Jamari Phillips.

Compass chose Phillips, Miller left.
Phillips chose Dream City Christian, and Miller came back.

It’s a funny world of HS basketball that we live in now.

I remember last year coaching, we played against a team that added a 5-star player to their team 3 hours before gametime. Getting the text from the coach, I thought he was playing a joke on me….

Reactions: M.C. fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT