ADVERTISEMENT

A grotesque adult moment

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
At one point during Saturday's Folsom vs. Serra football game, a violent collision occurred that left a Serra player lying senseless on the turf for several minutes. Sitting with Folsom adults was disturbing. Too many of them cheered when the kid could not get back up. They laughed at him. They mocked him. They yelled insults even as medical people worked on him. The scene was shocking and way, way out of line. They did a disservice to the Folsom fans who behaved as most of us would expect.

• Wow
Reactions: bulldogmgc
At one point during Saturday's Folsom vs. Serra football game, a violent collision occurred that left a Serra player lying senseless on the turf for several minutes. Sitting with Folsom adults was disturbing. Too many of them cheered when the kid could not get back up. They laughed at him. They mocked him. They yelled insults even as medical people worked on him. The scene was shocking and way, way out of line. They did a disservice to the Folsom fans who behaved as most of us would expect.
That's unfortunate. Wouldn't have expected that

To be clear, most Folsom adults were fine. A particularly outrageous cadre, nestled at the southeast end of the visitors' bleachers, was at fault. They were vocal and ugly. Very ugly. There was no available administrator or coach to calm them down or set them straight. Most unfortunate. They tarnished what turned out to be a very competitive prep football game on a sunny afternoon in San Mateo.

Last edited:
To be clear, most Folsom adults were fine. A particularly outrageous cadre, nestled at the southeast end of the visitors' bleachers, was at fault. They were vocal and ugly. Very ugly. There was no available administrator or coach to calm them down or set them straight. Most unfortunate. They tarnished what should have been a very competitive prep football game on a sunny afternoon in San Mateo.
Pasty?

CHL, your a man of great wisdom and wcal history. Did you not feel comfortable telling this group or what i would call "shitheads" to have some class and compassion.?

Did not attempt to caution the angry, frustrated and clearly upset Folsom adults. There seemed to be no point in having an outsider standing up in front of them and lecturing them on their lack of perspective (had it been one of their own sons or grandsons lying there on the turf, there would have been compassion and concern). In fact, cautioning them might have led to a confrontation there in the bleachers. Not a desired outcome. Just relieved to know they probably won't be back in San Mateo anytime soon. Or at least we can hope.

Not surprised at all. I’ve been to only 3 Folsom games and came away each time shaking my head in how obnoxiously rude their older adult fans were.

First one was back in the Dani Graves era against Buhach Colony in Atwater. This is when their run first started and maybe that was the excuse. The cussing and screaming at the BC players was disturbing.

Next was out in Oakdale. The arrogance had set in at this point, but for grown adults to talk trash to high school kids was infuriating. Oakdale has always been a classy program, regretfully I didn’t show up at 4 to get a seat on the home side.

Last was against St Mary’s. Now I’m not a fan of either school or any schools listed above. Knowing better, i chose to stand in the west end zone area. But listening to Folsom fans question whether SM kids were catholic or even owned a bible was enough.

Grow up People!!

If it is head trauma hopefully he is kept out until he is 100% clear. In terms of celebrating injury that has zero place. I wish I could say this is surprising but sadly it’s not, the moral decline in this country is astonishing.
The last two years Folsom players have celebrated Serra injuries on the field and social media, no respect for that program at all, attitude is a reflection of leadership.

An excellent point. Folsom's administration, athletic department and football coaching staff need to make an effort to calm down certain adults who follow the school's football program. At least try. Perhaps they already do and nothing works. If so, that's a real shame. Folsom's students, all of them who play football and those who attend Folsom ballgames, are being affected. They deserve better.

I'm no fan of either team at all, but I did sit on the Serra side for the first half before retreating to the shady side near Folsom's fans, so heard both for a good bit.

Folsom's fans were obnoxious, but Serra's fans weren't exactly angels either. They were calling for blood, running smack at the Folsom players, too.

No doubt. The issue in this case involves an injured player who remained senseless and unmoving on the turf for several minutes. If the roles had been reversed, one would hope that Serra's followers would not cheer, mock, laugh at and deride a downed 17-year-old Folsom kid.

To
I'm no fan of either team at all, but I did sit on the Serra side for the first half before retreating to the shady side near Folsom's fans, so heard both for a good bit.

Folsom's fans were obnoxious, but Serra's fans weren't exactly angels either. They were calling for blood, running smack at the Folsom players, too.

To simply add on to what kiddman32 said above; as a sports fan who’s been around for years, if you think one team or school’s fans are worse than others - you are naive. Football tends to bring out an extra layer of knuckleheads in the stands - for ALL TEAMS.

I roll my eyes when I hear friends of mine complain about refs cheating, other teams players/parents etc. it’s like “Look in the mirror!”

Apparently the CIF code of conduct that is announced at the start of games starting last year falls on deaf ears.

Agree. Apparently, Saturday's situation is now normal. Good lord. What's happening to us?
I wonder if small towns show better restraint. I know that when Chico and Pleasant Valley play, It's a very intense rivalry, but the kids know each other ( Cross Town ) familiarity. I have seen administrators approach fans and confront them. There is nothing keeping teachers and Administration from doing this job.

Again, I live in the North Section so what the hey. :) :)

Here's wishing you great football

Adults celebrating injuries or even talking smack is uncalled for. If kids do it I get that they are kids and need to be reprimanded and taught appropriate behavior. It should surprise nobody our youth acts and lacks respect nowadays when the adults exhibit the same behavior. To many Parents today want to be friends with their kids not parents.

I wonder if small towns show better restraint. I know that when Chico and Pleasant Valley play, It's a very intense rivalry, but the kids know each other ( Cross Town ) familiarity. I have seen administrators approach fans and confront them. There is nothing keeping teachers and Administration from doing this job.

Almond bowl always fun, spirited and respectful. Suppose it's that small town thing where eveyone knows everyone down at Bidwell park so to speak. Or perhaps just not being a psychopath. 😀

Almond bowl always fun, spirited and respectful. Suppose it's that small town thing where eveyone knows everyone down at Bidwell park so to speak. Or perhaps just not being a psychopath. 😀
True That.

Reactions: Santa Ball
I think every program has their corner of parents/supporters that cross the line. This situation is totally uncalled for and moves way past the line.

It does feel like it has gotten worse in the past decade. I have kids in youth sports and it is on that level too.

I grew up in a small valley town and I can attest they aren't any better. It has always been there just as it has always been there in urban schools. We had a brick magically crash thru a window of the bus and would routinely here thumps hitting the sides of the bus leaving games. There weren't social media outlets or message boards back then so relatively nobody heard about it. To be fair there might have been a few bare asses hanging out the windows as well...

I grew up in a small valley town and I can attest they aren't any better. It has always been there just as it has always been there in urban schools. We had a brick magically crash thru a window of the bus and would routinely here thumps hitting the sides of the bus leaving games. There weren't social media outlets or message boards back then so relatively nobody heard about it. To be fair there might have been a few bare asses hanging out the windows as well...
And your thoughts about Administrators stepping in to quell this behavor ??

Reactions: Y Cap
I’ve been to plenty of Folsom games and they have some really quality parents and some not. Pretty much like everywhere in life. I’m curious if the bad behavior happened to be a certain secondary player they have? He started last year if that’s a clue. I’ve had the luxury of sitting by those people and I moved myself because they were more obnoxious and rude then the guy talking the entire time in the movie.

Admittedly, I have yelled at awful calls. No one has the moral high ground here, but what was shocking to me is to actually cheer for an injury?

How much of a dirtbag do you have to be. That's like the antithesis of what we're conditioned right, applause for the young men as they get off the field.

I'm not trying to be snowflake-ish, as it were, but arent these people at least embarrassed. Maybe not, right...

✔️ Your family celebrates a new Quiznos opening
✔️ Jean shorts and that hand woven poncho are considered for semi formal attire
✔️ Lights fireworks till Christmas

= Lost cause.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I have yelled at awful calls. No one has the moral high ground here, but what was shocking to me is to actually cheer for an injury?

How much of a dirtbag do you have to be. That's like the antithesis of what we're conditioned right, applause for the young men as they get off the field.

I'm not trying to be snowflake-ish, as it were, but arent these people at least embarrassed. Maybe not, right...

✔️ Your family celebrates a new Quiznos opening
✔️ Jean shorts and that hand woven poncho are considered for semi formal attire
✔️ Lights fireworks till Christmas

= Lost cause.
quizonos getting attacked in the comments for no reason. lmaaooooo

quizonos getting attacked in the comments for no reason. lmaaooooo
Would of said sizzler, not sure they still operate. That and I love that place. Off topic for sure, but I always found irony in that heart palpating, mouthwatering conundrum phrased in elegance... "How would you like that steak chief" roof shingle, briquette, or blown out tire. 😄

Would of said sizzler, not sure they still operate. That and I love that place. Off topic for sure, but I always found irony in that heart palpating, mouthwatering conundrum phrased in elegance... "How would you like that steak chief" roof shingle, briquette, or blown out tire. 😄
there is a sizzler in hayward. right next to chucky cheese, right next to the closed down toys r us... classic early 2000s strip mall

And your thoughts about Administrators stepping in to quell this behavor ??

No feelings against Admin stepping in when fans are not respectful when a player is down. Nothing wrong with teaching people how to be polite if their families haven't done a good job with it.

Reactions: Santa Ball
I’d love to see admin at all schools step in more often. They usually regulate the kids, but the adults are often worse. Also, if there’s anyone here who yells “you gotta block!” from the stands, I’m begging you to stop. The kids on the field are already aware that they must block.

To

To simply add on to what kiddman32 said above; as a sports fan who’s been around for years, if you think one team or school’s fans are worse than others - you are naive. Football tends to bring out an extra layer of knuckleheads in the stands - for ALL TEAMS.

I roll my eyes when I hear friends of mine complain about refs cheating, other teams players/parents etc. it’s like “Look in the mirror!”
Sit amongst fans of LB Poly, Corona Centennial, Orange Lutheran, or even Mater Dei and compare that with St. John Bosco. Night and day. Chaminade fans? Absolute idiots.

Sorry, I disagree.

Sit amongst fans of LB Poly, Corona Centennial, Orange Lutheran, or even Mater Dei and compare that with St. John Bosco. Night and day. Chaminade fans? Absolute idiots.

Sorry, I disagree.
Does that make St. John Bosco the worst of the group or the best?

Reactions: pantera-cat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT