ADVERTISEMENT

A shocking WCAL prediction

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
PAL Booster, this board's guru of CCS playoff placement, is now predicting that Serra will beat Riordan this week by "four or five touchdowns" in what may be the 2023 WCAL championship game. Whew. That seems a bit much. But arguing with the Prince of Playoff Prognostications is probably dicey.

PAL Booster, this board's guru of CCS playoff placement, is now predicting that Serra will beat Riordan this week by "four or five touchdowns" in what may be the 2023 WCAL championship game. Whew. That seems a bit much. But arguing with the Prince of Playoff Prognostications is probably dicey.
Riodan Defense is not as good as advertised obviously.

Seems like with exception of a very small group
(Folsom, DLS) there aren’t many that can’t stay within 3-4 scores of Serra. Riordan might be a year away from a close game but they are on the right course.

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Riordan can’t stop that Serra offense. Serra has great defense too. To really understand the greatness of Serra, you need to look closer at the halftime scores, before they start putting in their 2nd and 3rd string guys. However, they won’t let up in this one, need to make a statment.
Serra 56
Riordan 17

Col Henry - I did not predict Serra will beat Riordan by four or five touchdowns. I said Serra will be a 4-5 touchdown favorite. I don't do predictions as I don't feel I have any special information that gives me more insight than someone else on the outcome of the game. Calpreps has projected that the game score will be Serra 49 Riordan 21 (a 28 point spread) and that Serra's chance to win the game is 96%. These are projections on the results of the season to date. It is worth noting that St. Francis that in my opinion is a high quality program and team when into their Serra game having played two very high quality opponents in preparation (Helix of fSan Diego and De La Salle) and came away as 28 point losers to Serra. Riordan is ranked slightly below St. Francis at this time and their top opponents to date are St. Ignatius and St. Bonaventure which are a note below the opponents St. Francis had faced. So to me this projection makes a lot of sense. Will it play out on the field Saturday? We will see. But no predictions here on if and how it might be different than what is projected..

Riordan has a really good QB and offensive weapons to go with a big and talented line. My concern for Riordan is how their defense holds up. How much has Riordan played from behind this year?

Reactions: FBAddict
Riordan has a really good QB and offensive weapons to go with a big and talented line. My concern for Riordan is how their defense holds up. How much has Riordan played from behind this year?
Riordan's emphasis is offense. All their players with offers are for the offensive side of the ball. They want to get into a shootout so everyone's stats and highlight reels are bleeding out of your ears. By season's end they should have a majority of the WCAL historical records for team points, passing yards, passing TDs, and receiving TDs. So playing from behind on Saturday would actually suit them better as it puts them in obvious passing situations. Mitchell wants to throw, thats no secret.

Reactions: Scoop and Score
Exactly right. I doubt the Serra defense will allow a high-scoring "trading blows" game. Riordan defense has been a relatively weak point all season. Both offenses look good. Serra is definitely favored to win. However, Riordan has surprised Serra more than once in the past - such as the 2015 65-45 Slacking Riordan gave to Serra.

Riordan played from behind against St. Bonaventure (had a lead until the special teams miscue), SI and Mitty. VC game was tied early.
The Padres will be heavily favored with their senior-laden, deep and talented squad. Riordan's OL/DL and WRs/DBs along with Mitchell at QB are the team's strengths. The running game has been improving in spite of missing RB1 and RB2 at times. RB3 Charlie Johnson ran for 200+ yards vs Mitty when the Monarchs couldn't load up the box b/c of the 4 WRs.
Riordan's lineman are not only tall and big, but extremely athletic. Tofi and Lolo also play hoops. Will be interesting as Riordan often lines up 5 WRs and also goes 4 wide with a RB. They will need to spread out the Serra D and create some 1 on 1 in space. OL needs to give Mitchell enough time as he has a quick release and has 3 WRs that are 6-2/6-3 with speed and strength. Really looking forward to this matchup. The key will be if Riordan's D can stop the Padre ground attack and not get caught off guard on the trick plays they often use. Riordan picked off Smith 3 times until Serra went to its double wing Raider run game last year. JVs with its starters almost entirely freshmen, also look to continue its overall undefeated season.

Reactions: FBAddict
Col Henry - I did not predict Serra will beat Riordan by four or five touchdowns. I said Serra will be a 4-5 touchdown favorite. I don't do predictions as I don't feel I have any special information that gives me more insight than someone else on the outcome of the game. Calpreps has projected that the game score will be Serra 49 Riordan 21 (a 28 point spread) and that Serra's chance to win the game is 96%. These are projections on the results of the season to date. It is worth noting that St. Francis that in my opinion is a high quality program and team when into their Serra game having played two very high quality opponents in preparation (Helix of fSan Diego and De La Salle) and came away as 28 point losers to Serra. Riordan is ranked slightly below St. Francis at this time and their top opponents to date are St. Ignatius and St. Bonaventure which are a note below the opponents St. Francis had faced. So to me this projection makes a lot of sense. Will it play out on the field Saturday? We will see. But no predictions here on if and how it might be different than what is projected..
OK. Prediction? No. Projection? Yes. Never argue with the PAL Booster. However, a predicted (whoops, projected) score along the lines of 49-14 or so seems unlikely.

Riordan played from behind against St. Bonaventure (had a lead until the special teams miscue), SI and Mitty. VC game was tied early.
The Padres will be heavily favored with their senior-laden, deep and talented squad. Riordan's OL/DL and WRs/DBs along with Mitchell at QB are the team's strengths. The running game has been improving in spite of missing RB1 and RB2 at times. RB3 Charlie Johnson ran for 200+ yards vs Mitty when the Monarchs couldn't load up the box b/c of the 4 WRs.
Riordan's lineman are not only tall and big, but extremely athletic. Tofi and Lolo also play hoops. Will be interesting as Riordan often lines up 5 WRs and also goes 4 wide with a RB. They will need to spread out the Serra D and create some 1 on 1 in space. OL needs to give Mitchell enough time as he has a quick release and has 3 WRs that are 6-2/6-3 with speed and strength. Really looking forward to this matchup. The key will be if Riordan's D can stop the Padre ground attack and not get caught off guard on the trick plays they often use. Riordan picked off Smith 3 times until Serra went to its double wing Raider run game last year. JVs with its starters almost entirely freshmen, also look to continue its overall undefeated season.
Serra's special teams are very strong. Another Padre plus.

I would agree re the kicking game. Riordan's return players (Lawson and Jackson) are very capable of going to the house on a punt or kick return.

As @colhenrylives predicted ALL Season, the @TheGuanletGame was thrown down early and IT has been up to Riordan to Prove the Naysayers & Doubters wrong,…

Now the New Move of Goal Post is a Multiple TD’s lost Of the Serra Padres (who’s Ur Daddy) to inflict their will on the (formally Phelan Ave) Crusaders.

I refuse to predict, but I think IT is KNOWN which sideline I stand On. But if you don’t remember the past, One is doomed to repeat It. But I remember a SIMILAR young Riordan Coach who had less talent that has been a massed this year; created an Upset of the Padres that “Shocked the World”.

Don’t forget the Past as we welcome the Future,…

Last edited:
As @colhenrylives predicted ALL Season, the @TheGuanletGame was thrown down early and IT has been up to Riordan to Prove the Naysayers & Doubters wrong,…

Now the New Move of Goal Post is a Multiple TD’s lost Of the Serra Padres (who’s Ur Daddy) to inflict their will on the (formally Phelan Ave) Crusaders.

I refuse to predict, but I think IT is KNOWN which sideline I stand On. But if you don’t remember the past, One is doomed to repeat It. But I remember a SIMILAR young Riordan Coach who had less talent that has been a massed this year; created an Upset of the Padres that “Shocked the World”.

Actually it’s “Who’s Your Padre?” Lol

• Haha
Reactions: concrete17

Sounds like a page from Morpheus's playbook.

My stomach churns and I shake my head when a Riordan fan/Alumni uses the term " Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it" Lots of SF families would rather never hear that again

Reactions: Scott2138
My stomach churns and I shake my head when a Riordan fan/Alumni uses the term " Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it" Lots of SF families would rather never hear that again
Sounds like YOUR trying to read more Into a phrasing vs. @TheQuote.

Be honest, the POTENTIAL Of a Upset is what has you looking for PetoBismo:Lol

But nice try to throw (implicit bias) SHADE; LMAO

Last edited:
A bit of productive perspective (not a prediction): It is entirely possible that, if both Serra and Riordan continue to thrive beyond Saturday's game and into the CCS Division I playoffs, they could well meet again in the post-season. So a loss this weekend is not the end of the world as we know it for the loser. Ask Serra. The Padres got smoked by St. Francis during the 2021 regular season. In a CCS finale, the Lancers were upset by Serra. Redemption is possible.

Last edited:
SOPHIE’s Choice

A Riordan upset WCAL crown Or
A Riordan upset CCS banner,….

And YOU say there’s a chance?

A bit of productive perspective (not a prediction): It is entirely possible that, if both Serra and Riordan continue to thrive beyond Saturday's game and into the CCS Division I playoffs, they could well meet again in the post-season. So a loss this weekend is not the end of the world as we know it for the loser. Ask Serra. The Padres got smoked by St. Francis during the 2021 regular season. In a CCS finale, the Lancers were upset by Serra. Redemption is possible.
I think what most people are saying is that Riordan football and basketball has a lot of potential these years. Its been a long time since one WCAL school got such a bounty of D1 athletes. It should translate to some hardware but if it doesn't Riordan will hear the criticisms. The pressure on these kids to win is great and if they don't live up to the potential like state title its debatable if it was all worth it or in some sense equivalent to what the school paid to attract these athletes. I don't mean money but as everyone knows there is a cost to everything.

Reactions: SFcityfan
That ‘21 regular season game against St. Francis also marked the last time Serra lost to a NorCal team. They’ve had 23 straight NorCal victories since then.

Mitty ran all over Riordan and capitalized on some injuries at linebacker. I think Serra will try to do the same, and unless the Riordan coaches cook up something special, Serra will have similar success.

That ‘21 regular season game against St. Francis also marked the last time Serra lost to a NorCal team. They’ve had 23 straight NorCal victories since then.
The basic Truth IS not only does Riordan have a chance with TWO bites AT the Apple. SO does St. Francis and they have shown that they have the Pedigree.

Additionally as much as Some Of the Best Gurus on this board, think tomorrow’s match IS for WCAL championship. It still IS only 1/2 Of the @TheGuanlet to be finished Next Week; Riordan vs. St. Francis.
As @colehenrylives articulated, a double loss for Riordan MAY drop them down Out Of Open and ensuring a lower Div. CCS championship. Some may argue that a building program should Walk before they Run.
The naysayers MIGHT want a Riordan win and put NEW hope in the Lancers as are an established Juggernaut.

Go figure,….only IN the West Coast Almost [catholic] League

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT