ADVERTISEMENT

AAU: A Hoops Cancer

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Refreshing to see someone at the highest level of U.S. basketball telling a truth that needs to be heard loud and clear. Warriors head coach and U.S. Olympic team mentor Steve Kerr has stated that youth club basketball (or what passes for basketball) is counter-productive. In other words, the sport is not being taught to teens in that permissive environment.He almost surely had gifted athletes like James Wiseman in mind when he said it.

Refreshing to see someone at the highest level of U.S. basketball telling a truth that needs to be heard loud and clear. Warriors head coach and U.S. Olympic team mentor Steve Kerr has stated that youth club basketball (or what passes for basketball) is counter-productive. In other words, the sport is not being taught to teens in that permissive environment.He almost surely had gifted athletes like James Wiseman in mind when he said it.
but if he is the greatest coach ever like they say... how come he couldnt get wiseman to play better?
also his very team has caused chaos in aau basketball. his team has kids shooting from way to far, playing while chewing on a mouthpiece, and unathletic kids filling out aau rosters because they thnk if curry can i can.

Wiseman deficiencies unfortunately are not because of Kerr its more to lack of playing experience before he even got to the league didn't play much at all at Memphis
Where you are drafted has alot to do with how much patience a team is willing to have
If Wiseman was a second round pick still on his rookie deal chances are he would still be with the warriors.

Wiseman deficiencies unfortunately are not because of Kerr its more to lack of playing experience before he even got to the league didn't play much at all at Memphis
Where you are drafted has alot to do with how much patience a team is willing to have
If Wiseman was a second round pick still on his rookie deal chances are he would still be with the warriors.
i didnt say he was the cause of his deficiencies. i wondered why the greatest coach ever couldnt figure out how to make him productive.

i didnt say he was the cause of his deficiencies. i wondered why the greatest coach ever couldnt figure out how to make him productive.
Can you quote 1 legit publication that ever listed him as the greatest coach ever in the history of basketball? Or one poster on this Board ?

Can you quote 1 legit publication that ever listed him as the greatest coach ever in the history of basketball? Or one poster on this Board ?
no, but i can quote all of dub nation at my office who say it.
jennifer, rachel, lupe, maria, amber, missy, faith, yung, becky, tammie, cathy, karen, brian, bruce, todd, robert, christa, the cleaning lady but i forgot her name, the garage attendant forgot his name, and kylie

Reactions: Crusaders70
but if he is the greatest coach ever like they say... how come he couldnt get wiseman to play better?
also his very team has caused chaos in aau basketball. his team has kids shooting from way to far, playing while chewing on a mouthpiece, and unathletic kids filling out aau rosters because they thnk if curry can i can.
cite your sources. whos saying hes the greatest coach ever? or your warrior hatred is just talking?

id take chewing your mouthpiece over being a loud mouth taking trash to an opponent. hey kid, you go to catholic school, youre supposed to live Jesus in your heart or that doesnt apply when the ball is tipped?

lets just address what aau is. its a business. people make money from that and if your kid didnt get at least a discount on private school tuition then you got scammed.

cite your sources. whos saying hes the greatest coach ever? or your warrior hatred is just talking?

id take chewing your mouthpiece over being a loud mouth taking trash to an opponent. hey kid, you go to catholic school, youre supposed to live Jesus in your heart or that doesnt apply when the ball is tipped?

lets just address what aau is. its a business. people make money from that and if your kid didnt get at least a discount on private school tuition then you got scammed.
see above.

He’s a top 10 and at his age is only climbing. But you got Phil, red, pop, kc, etc ahead of him. I’m not a warrior lover but facts speak.

I respectfully disagree with Steve Kerr.

Name one top prospect in basketball that didn’t play AAU over the last 25 years?

Outside of prep schools AAU is the one chance college coaches can see certain players. Not every school is lucky enough to travel around the country and showcase their talents that way.

Salesian is probably the only non-Prep Bay Area team that plays somewhat of a National schedule and they still don’t travel outside the west coast.

There are a couple of the Socal teams, but Socal high school basketball maybe top 2-3 in terms of talent in the country yearly.

I’ll conclude by saying maybe the solution is a shorter more compact AAU season. But I think AAU gives top talent even more exposure and growth opportunities in the new NIL field. While lower to mid-tier prospects get the looks from colleges they normally wouldn’t.

Also I think it’s funny people are giving up on Wiseman. He’s 21. How would you feel if someone gave up on you at 21? I’m happy he’s in a place where he’ll get PT. I don’t see him leading a championship team, but I do see him being a starter for Detroit.

The Warriors wanted GP2 back and they also were financially motivated by the move. Wiseman making 12 mil, with their luxury tax penalty would be equal to paying him close to 50-60 million.

Warriors only have to pay Payton 6-8 mil and even with luxury tax they end up saving 25-30 mil or so.

The part that will always sting, is what if they had taken Lamelo instead. He plays college ball instead of Aussie league and he’s a Warrior. Oh well. They hit on Poole (kinda), so the front office gets a pass.

aau serves a purpose for sure. the ncaa coaches have a 1 stop place to see tons of prospects at the big tournaments in vegas, atlanta, la and houston. it is helping fringe type players get the exposure. sure the endless tournaments every weekend in the bay arent attracting coaches, but you know what it is doing? it is keeping kids active all summer and not on 98th and international on the street corner. it also allows kids who play for bad teams to play versus way better comp. you can train all day, but nothing beats playing in live situations. everyone can shoot in an empty gym with dad rebounding. but can you do it down 2 after playing 30 minutes and being defended by someone your size or better?

Also I think it’s funny people are giving up on Wiseman. He’s 21. How would you feel if someone gave up on you at 21? I’m happy he’s in a place where he’ll get PT. I don’t see him leading a championship team, but I do see him being a starter for Detroit.

The Warriors wanted GP2 back and they also were financially motivated by the move. Wiseman making 12 mil, with their luxury tax penalty would be equal to paying him close to 50-60 million.

Warriors only have to pay Payton 6-8 mil and even with luxury tax they end up saving 25-30 mil or so.

The part that will always sting, is what if they had taken Lamelo instead. He plays college ball instead of Aussie league and he’s a Warrior. Oh well. They hit on Poole (kinda), so the front office gets a pass.
the warriors gave up on him. nobody here matters. and plenty of people in real life are given up on at 21.

I don't know if Kerr was referring to Wiseman or not; however, I suspect the point Kerr was trying to make was the lack of instruction to younger players regarding how to play the game properly. Some programs just roll the ball out instead of teaching the concepts and fundamentals of defense and offense. Their players are athletic enough to get to the next levels, but it is too often documented that the players struggle defending and playing team defense; have difficulties understanding and retaining sophisticated offenses, and lack fundamentals that have been masked by athleticism.

Shoe circuit and AAU basketball have an important place in providing players opportunities, exposure, camaraderie, and life experiences. I think players, parents, handlers, etc. should look long and hard at the programs they are considering. I often hear someone say "the coach has too many plays" or "the team runs too much system instead of letting the players play". Well at the levels beyond high school, if the players are fortunate enough to be part of the 4 percent to play after high school, I guarantee the players will be playing in a coach's system. Players need to learn the fundamentals and concepts now, so no one gives up on them later.

aau coaches only have so much time with players. when they show up to the elite level aau programs they are expected to be able to do the small things already. the saturation of teams is an issue though. you got too many people making teams for kids who arent very good. then those parents think aau is supposed to work miracles with kids who should probably be in the band or debate team

Reactions: 5MatchUp
no, but i can quote all of dub nation at my office who say it.
jennifer, rachel, lupe, maria, amber, missy, faith, yung, becky, tammie, cathy, karen, brian, bruce, todd, robert, christa, the cleaning lady but i forgot her name, the garage attendant forgot his name, and kylie
sounds like youre outnumbered and you definitely are well-loved at your office.

Obviously, you’re living in a sheltered box most kids, by the age of 21 have to figure it out and most are on they’re own. He has made more money than most and if it doesn’t work out in the NBA, he still has a career overseas, poor kid. You may as well get used to it, travel basketball is here to stay and we’re never going back.

to be fair... none of them even know that magic johnson was a basketball hall of famer and thought he was a magician like with rabbits.....
My Lakers friends at UCSB thought the same thing, I thought it was so odd

Thirty years ago, Al Attles was attending a funeral reception for a former Golden State front office fellow. Attles was taking stock of too many of the NBA's younger players. Here's a paraphrase of his telling comment (referring to the league's overall hoops IQ): "Below the neck, today's players are much better (more athletic) than they have ever been; above the neck, it's a different story." In other words, far too many of the youngsters are poor basketball players but great athletes. This is one personal observation that sticks out: Playing without the ball has become a lost art, both on defense and offense. When you think about it, most players are without the ball at least 90 percent of the time. That's a lot of time. One-on-one has taken over five-on-five. It's not pretty.

Reactions: 5MatchUp

James Wiseman signed a 4 year / $39,619,840 contract with the Golden State Warriors, including $39,619,840 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $9,904,960. In 2022-23, Wiseman will earn a base salary of $9,603,360, while carrying a cap hit of $9,603,360 and a dead cap value of $9,603,36

NOT GONNA FEEL SORRY FOR Wiseman

James Wiseman signed a 4 year / $39,619,840 contract with the Golden State Warriors, including $39,619,840 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $9,904,960. In 2022-23, Wiseman will earn a base salary of $9,603,360, while carrying a cap hit of $9,603,360 and a dead cap value of $9,603,36

NOT GONNA FEEL SORRY FOR Wiseman
No shat! We really talking about a guy who won the lottery?
And agree with Attles above.

Comments like this about AAU from high profile players and coaches always generate a lot of back and forth.

In general, I think all aspects of youth basketball needs to be looked at. Generally speaking, there are too many "traveling teams" and not enough time spend on skill development. But families who pay for it want games most of the time and frankly don't care about the skill development enough. So teams/tournament organizers will keep giving them what they want and people will keep paying for it.

Hopefully Wiseman has a good financial team and advisor in place because as a player in the NBA it's all about being in the best position to set you up for your second contract which he was never going to get from the warriors and Detroit is definitely not the place it is basketball purgatory as we know it and they certainly don't have a track record of developing players with as many top draft picks they have had over the last 10 years!

Unfortunately for Wiseman injuries have hampered him. Thats why they say the best ability is availability. Lets not knock him for things out of his control. You guys try to do anything athletic with a torn meniscus.

By all accounts Wiseman was a stand up person. Never went to media or press and said anything or bad-mouthed the Warriors and Warriors did right by him sending him to a place where he can just play and make mistakes.

Reactions: observer22
AAU does provide a safe {usually} event/location for kids from all walks of life to hang out on weekends and do something healthy. Plenty of kids from single parent homes who could be getting into trouble on weekends. Any sport is better than hanging on the corner or sitting in a room playing video games all day

Name one top prospect in basketball that didn’t play AAU over the last 25 years?

Outside of prep schools AAU is the one chance college coaches can see certain players. Not every school is lucky enough to travel around the country and showcase their talents that way.

Salesian is probably the only non-Prep Bay Area team that plays somewhat of a National schedule and they still don’t travel outside the west coast.

There are a couple of the Socal teams, but Socal high school basketball maybe top 2-3 in terms of talent in the country yearly.

I’ll conclude by saying maybe the solution is a shorter more compact AAU season. But I think AAU gives top talent even more exposure and growth opportunities in the new NIL field. While lower to mid-tier prospects get the looks from colleges they normally wouldn’t.
Utterly clueless

There are not many but Otto Porter comes to mind.

Ask Naismith HOF Coach Gary Williams what he thinks of AAU basketball
Does Gary Williams care about the kid who doesn't make the freshman team, but uses aau to develop his skills and then goes on to enjoy 3 years of playing high school basketball? Does Gary Williams care about the kids who just want to play with their friends who might not go to the same school as them?

My guess is he doesn't.

Does Gary Williams care about the kid who doesn't make the freshman team, but uses aau to develop his skills and then goes on to enjoy 3 years of playing high school basketball? Does Gary Williams care about the kids who just want to play with their friends who might not go to the same school as them?

My guess is he doesn't.
My guess is you're a clueless buffoon. Actually, not a guess.

AAU is Fun! AAU is athletic! AAU is 0 effort on Defense! AAU is a false sense of security that you are better than you are! There are maybe a handful of AAU programs that preach defense others is all offense or even worse "Freestyle"! Also seems there is a link between AAU squads and kids leaving their High School teams to go play for Prep Schools. The ideology seems to be present that if I don't like my high school squad, I can leave and go play for a Prep Team. Leaning into when things aren't going the way I want or my parents want I can leave. Well what if that doesn't work out? You can leave. What if that doesn't work out? You can leave. See the problem here? AAU and Prep Schools are creating weakness when the absence of toughness is all too evident when it comes to high school season. Down by 10 in a high school game you pull up for a 24 footer long rebounds other team is out on a break! I have seen this way too much this season!

Reactions: M.C. fan
AAU is Fun! AAU is athletic! AAU is 0 effort on Defense! AAU is a false sense of security that you are better than you are! There are maybe a handful of AAU programs that preach defense others is all offense or even worse "Freestyle"! Also seems there is a link between AAU squads and kids leaving their High School teams to go play for Prep Schools. The ideology seems to be present that if I don't like my high school squad, I can leave and go play for a Prep Team. Leaning into when things aren't going the way I want or my parents want I can leave. Well what if that doesn't work out? You can leave. What if that doesn't work out? You can leave. See the problem here? AAU and Prep Schools are creating weakness when the absence of toughness is all too evident when it comes to high school season. Down by 10 in a high school game you pull up for a 24 footer long rebounds other team is out on a break! I have seen this way too much this season!
they leave and go to public schools as frequent as prep schools. the ebal has plenty of transfers.
as well as if you think tough isnt built at prep schools you need to go see a few. ebal is great and all, but nobody is giving the grananda kid any sort of looks like he will get the next 4 years. the other post kid at grananda is not getting the type of physical play at the 3 or 4 spot he will get at the D1 level. and honestly he hasnt improved much since joining his 3rd high school. all of those kids play aau ball for the record.
clayton valley, granada, salieson, moreau, o dowd all have aau teams.

There are not many but Otto Porter comes to mind.
otto grew up in rural missouri. there were not any aau teams around. if he lived in the STL metro he would have played. his family are missouri high school legends. there was a 4 year stretch where they won 4 state titles in a row and only 3 players on that 4 year stretch were not a cousin or brother of each other on the team. but there were only 100 students at the whole school loll

Reactions: MC415
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT