ADVERTISEMENT

Aidan Mahaney...

how is his footwork on defense and his strength? stepping up in weight class at those programs.

He’ll do just fine. I think UConn ends up getting him. He just seems like the perfect player for their system. Look at Cam Spencer and Tristen Newton this year.

you are quite the expert

Heh. I never played due to almost zero athleticism, have never coached, and have never scouted. Far from expert. Maybe a little more knowledgeable than the average Joe, sort of...

Anyway, enough cat-and-mouse, I know you're trying to pull an opinion out of me...

I do think Aidan may have reached the top of his pure athleticism potential, and will have to find other ways to help a team win... and part of that will be choosing the correct program to join. And who knows, maybe new trainers/conditioning coaches could raise that (apparent) weakness a little. I do think Aidan is stronger than he looks, but a few pounds of muscle would sure help.

I sure don't know enough about footwork to make a reasoned take here. All I can say regarding footwork of ANY player is based on results said player shows.

Maybe a new shooting coach can unlock his shot consistency, and if he can get that shot as good as it can be.

Then again, maybe he's biting off a little more than he can chew. But the fact that bigtime programs are pursuing Aidan pretty darned hard seems to indicate he has potential in the areas they need.

Only time will tell...

I see his ceiling comparison to Brandin Podziemski if he were ever to make it to the NBA. He has a long way to go. Definitely can be a G-League / 2-way contract, or play overseas somewhere.

• Love
Reactions: biggoop
I see his ceiling comparison to Brandin Podziemski if he were ever to make it to the NBA. He has a long way to go. Definitely can be a G-League / 2-way contract, or play overseas somewhere.

I agree. Heck I’d argue Mahaney doesn’t have the grit and nose for rebounding that Podz has. But that could still come in time.

Mahaney is a 4 year college player and will come out polished. Uconn, Creighton….whoever gets him is getting themselves 2-3 years of a very good guard who just needs to polish his shot a little bit.

Just my two cents, I have zero inside info... But my guess is that he either goes to:

Michigan, where Joyner is now...

Kentucky with its nearly empty roster (at the moment, I'm sure Pope is going hard at the portal).

San Diego State because he has allegedly been hanging out with Miles Byrd during spring break, and they are friends from AAU and what not. The Aztecs have also had their roster depleted by the portal.

So those are my guesses, which means he'll end up elsewhere, most likely...

Just my two cents, I have zero inside info... But my guess is that he either goes to:

Michigan, where Joyner is now...

Kentucky with its nearly empty roster (at the moment, I'm sure Pope is going hard at the portal).

San Diego State because he has allegedly been hanging out with Miles Byrd during spring break, and they are friends from AAU and what not. The Aztecs have also had their roster depleted by the portal.

So those are my guesses, which means he'll end up elsewhere, most likely...
San Diego would be nice. Kentucky would be sweet!

Here's the latest info on Aidan's Portal Adventure:

"PORTAL NEWS: An update on Aidan Mahaney's recruitment, per his AAU coach@RyanSilver1of West Coast Elite:

* Mahaney has already visited Creighton
* Has visits set up to Virginia and UConn

His final visit will come down to Florida, USC or Kentucky."

So, either Michigan is out, or Aidan has gotten enough info from interviews with them to make a decision.
Would be interesting to see him in the Big East with UConn or Creighton. Bennett definitely needs more scoring options at Virginia. Golden is a good coach at UF with roots here. I hope it is one of those 4 schools.

someone asked earlier... why did he pick st marys to begin with? when he did everyone said all the same stuff..
perfect fit
great pick up
watch out for st marys
good get by bennett..
but was he always too big a star for st marys?
was he not sure of his abilities and now he sees he can compete?

Aiden just posted a picture from his UConn visit.

I would guess that is where he will commit in the coming days.

Liam Mcneeley just committed to UConn.

Seems like Aiden would now be the perfect fit to replace Cam Spencer as Liam McNeeley will be replacing Clingan

someone asked earlier... why did he pick st marys to begin with? when he did everyone said all the same stuff..
perfect fit
great pick up
watch out for st marys
good get by bennett..
but was he always too big a star for st marys?
was he not sure of his abilities and now he sees he can compete?
Bennet’s 2 sons both played with Aiden at Campo. It’s no secret why he chose SMC out of HS.

Yup, the Mahaney/Bennett connections ran deep. Seems to me that this had to have been a hard decision for Aidan and there had to have been a really BIG reason or reasons for him to choose to leave.

this is weird... dan hurley was mad about kids transferring in an interview few weeks ago... now he has 3 tranfers coming in... and had 2 on this past team. boy they just be talking to hear themselves talk

I think it's more like changing their minds due to necessity. If he or any other coach decided to avoid the portal (both directions, in and out), they'd fall behind.

Anyway, if Aidan to UConn is true... GO HUSKIES11

I'm off to verify...

• Haha
Reactions: concrete17
Interesting article from the Hartford Courant..

On Mahaney's Transfer Choice

Call it a puff piece if ya want, but good article anyway from Hartford's newspaper.

Based on that story, it sounds like Aidan wants to be a part of UConn's shot at a historic 3-peat, even if he doesn't play a bunch of minutes. UConn is deep at guard and Aidan knows it.

Interesting article from the Hartford Courant..

On Mahaney's Transfer Choice

Call it a puff piece if ya want, but good article anyway from Hartford's newspaper.

Based on that story, it sounds like Aidan wants to be a part of UConn's shot at a historic 3-peat, even if he doesn't play a bunch of minutes. UConn is deep at guard and Aidan knows it.
He will get his minutes. I would say he competes to start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT