ADVERTISEMENT

Alle Moreno is the new head coach at St. Mary's-Stockton

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
St. Mary's has hired Alle Moreno. She graduated from the school in 2010 and was most recently an assistant coach at San Jose State.

Reactions: Valleycat209
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Coach Moreno at a few basketball events over the last couple of yrs. Once at the ESP tourny(2yrs ago) and the SMS MLK event(last yr) for multiple games. We chatted about girls basketball and numerous players. My impression of her is she is a VERY nice young woman. She's a basketball junkie who is full of youthful energy and drive. I think she will be a very good hire.

I hope Tom can bring himself to support her (being as its one of his ex players) and will only hold any grudges he has to the SMS administration and not the program itself as I know when talking to her at the SMS MLK event she was supportive of him and the SMS girls.

Good luck to Coach Moreno.

Wow sounds like a great hire! She was the Associate head coach at SJSU. Going from the college game to a powerhouse is not what I expected but man, on paper she seems like a great hire! Alumni, played in college, and a woman? Grats on the hire!

Reactions: northbaybbguru
I always liked Alle as a player but I've only bumped into her once since then, I think -- but please, let's not burden her down with expectations.

She's never been a head coach, she's never coached in high school, and she's following one of the most successful coaches in the history of the state of California.

Hopefully all the players will stay, and the talent pipeline will continue to deliver, but regardless, there will be some bumps in the road. I wish her and the program the best, as St. Mary's of Stockton is one of the signature programs in our area, if not the state and the nation, but she has not signed on for an easy job.

didnt the job just close its application deadline on fri may 8th? man that was super fast! looks like they already had a eye on who they wanted for the position! Congrats!

Last edited:
man that was super fast! looks like they already had a eye on who they wanted for the position! Congrats!
well maybe it wasn't that fast.. according to legend (and deleted posts), there allegedly may have possibly been a major issue dating back to january.. but thats just my opinion... :cool:

well maybe it wasn't that fast.. according to legend (and deleted posts), there allegedly may have possibly been a major issue dating back to january.. but thats just my opinion... :cool:
they dated them issues back to tokay!

"The following commments are simply personal opinion and not meant to persecute or defame any person in any manner"

I wouldn't wanna hire "said person" as a coach at my school after watching this play out. This is conjecture on my part so I hope I don't get banned but it looks like "said person" will do everything in his power to destroy "said school". Kind of evil in nature if you ask me but that is just my opinion. I would be willing to bet that "said Person" tipped off the CIF about something but again it's just conjecture. If that is the case and "said person" did reach out to the CIF and "said person" didn't say anything while he was at "said school", what does that say about the character of "said person?".

question for Clay or anybody that may know the answer. If SMS is found to have used any $$$ inappropriately toward any kid for athletics could that lead to teams having to forfeit any past championships? The NCAA has taken titles away in the past for malfeasance... would the CIF do the same?

OK ... so this is what I learned at Bentley.

1) Financial aid is determined by a firm in New Jersey or somewhere, in the following manner. The parents fill out forms, send in their tax returns, and the firm determines the level of financial need in relation to the cost of tuition, and gives the school a limit on how much aid that student can receive. My understanding is that this is required.

2) Merit scholarships can be awarded at the discretion of schools. I have no idea how a "merit scholarship" is defined but my understanding is the school can give them out pretty much however it wants to. Can a merit scholarship be partial? No idea.

I have heard that there are scholarships at some schools that are directed to particular programs, such as music or sports or whatever, but I don't know that this is true. It seems logical, however, that if a donor said "Here's an endowed scholarship for the first violinist in the orchestra," that that request would be honored.

If the above is correct -- and I could be wrong -- then if SMS gave out scholarships, it can do what it wants. But if it gave out financial aid above the limit set by the firm in New Jersey, that's illegal.

question for Clay or anybody that may know the answer. If SMS is found to have used any $$$ inappropriately toward any kid for athletics could that lead to teams having to forfeit any past championships? The NCAA has taken titles away in the past for malfeasance... would the CIF do the same?

My guess would be no, because it's not an eligibility issue. Eligibility is determined by residence, grades, etc., and I don't think there's anything about financial aid in the rules. Still, the CIF could do whatever it wants, I imagine.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
The record books may change but we all still know who won, so who cares. What could be a bigger issue is if they suspend them from FUTURE playoffs because something comes up.. That could really make an impact on the coming years

Reactions: GBBall4L and ClayK
As a longtime supporter of St. Mary’s High School and the girls basketball program, the drama being portrayed over multiple social media platforms is saddening. I was around when Tom first arrived as an assistant to Dr. Grady before ultimately taking over and being very successful. During my college years at Pacific, Tom gave me the opportunity to coach both at the AAU and high school level. I have since moved on, work in a different field and have a family but continued to watch from afar. Tom created a tremendous program at St. Mary’s and brought so much joy to both the school and Stockton community. His successes I believe changed women’s basketball in the area and that should never be taken away. There has been; however, been controversy along the way. I think it got to the point where the school decided to move a different direction and start fresh.

Sadly, he has continued to hold a grudge with Athletic Director, Adam Lichter. They had a good relationship and Tom would often spend hours every single day visiting Lichter’s office, talking life and discussing basketball. There was a lot of mention regarding Lichter not being a supporter of girls basketball but it should be noted he has a wife who once played and won state championships under Tom. He also has three daughters who will soon be moving into high school sports. It doesn’t make sense he would not want all players, especially girls, to be treated fairly and have every opportunity as a boy would.

I know for certain SMHS is not being investigated for any wrongdoing and the Twitter page is not run by anyone with any affiliation from the school. Tom used to manage the page but it is unknown whether he continues to do so.

As for scholarships, SM has multiple available for a variety of students. Shortly after graduating, I started a scholarship that was designated solely for a basketball player who had a 3.0 or higher and was actively involved in community service. Students applied, I was sent their packets and was able to pick who I thought was best suited. This is no different than those designated for band, agriculture, etc…

I know Tom and Lichter personally. They are both good men who care for their families. I hope this gets to the point where Tom can be celebrated for the success he had and St. Mary’s can peacefully move on and bring in a new era with Coach Alle Moreno.

I hope this gets to the point where Tom can be celebrated for the success he had and St. Mary’s can peacefully move on and bring in a new era with Coach Alle Moreno.
But its Tom who is making this break not-so-peaceful. St Mary's is going to have a hard time celebrating a guy who flips the bird and spits on them on his way out... wouldn't you?

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
But its Tom who is making this break not-so-peaceful. St Mary's is going to have a hard time celebrating a guy who flips the bird and spits on them on his way out... wouldn't you?

I have to agree that it appears to be Tom that is being petty. His legacy as coach is cemented but the way he has handled this breakup will tarnish his character and give pause to any program considering hiring him.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
I have to agree that it appears to be Tom that is being petty. His legacy as coach is cemented but the way he has handled this breakup will tarnish his character and give pause to any program considering hiring him.

I doubt it will give anyone pause to hire him. He's a proven winner. Any program looking to upgrade their status to an elite level would hire him in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Coach_Case
This is a little off topic but it pertains to St. Marys and "said coach" and his claim to a "national title" back in 2010.

The year St. Mary's supposedly won a national title, this is what took place that season in relation to the state and national titles.

Give your feedback on what team was the real "national champion". Keep in mind that "said coach" had shirts made, (that his players have to wear) advertising a national title based on the 2009-2010 season.

In 2009 - 2010.....
A) St. Marys went 34-1 and Mater Dei went 34-1.
B) St. Mary's went on to win the california Division 3 state title and Mater Dei went on to win the california Division 1 state title.
C) At the arizona tournament that season, Mater Dei beat St. Marys in their only head to head matchup.

and I say "long enough" in jest because obviously this was only a few years ago but there seems to be more and more new names popping up with joined dates of 2019 and 2020...

Well let's just say that some of us "old school" folks, took longer to warm up to social media and don't normally feel the need to post our 2 cents. But this topic has been a source of controversy for quite awhile in my parts and i couldn't resist.

"The following commments are simply personal opinion and not meant to persecute or defame any person in any manner"

I wouldn't wanna hire "said person" as a coach at my school after watching this play out. This is conjecture on my part so I hope I don't get banned but it looks like "said person" will do everything in his power to destroy "said school". Kind of evil in nature if you ask me but that is just my opinion. I would be willing to bet that "said Person" tipped off the CIF about something but again it's just conjecture. If that is the case and "said person" did reach out to the CIF and "said person" didn't say anything while he was at "said school", what does that say about the character of "said person?".
Mark Furhman. Is that you?

Reactions: Crusaders70
In the 2009/10 season there wasn't a choice of what division you played in, it was all by enrollment. For most of the year the 3 top teams in the country were Mater Dei, SMS and Brea Olinda. Some publications put Mater Dei over St.Mary's in the final poll because they were able to avenge their loss to BO who SM had beaten.

Reactions: GBBall4L
So I looked back to see a) what my rankings were, and b) what the schedules were.

I had St. Mary's No. 1, and as far as I can tell, it was a convoluted decision. First, I believe the Ben Davis coach (they were unbeaten) still remembers that they were second for ESPN (which I was doing then) despite being unbeaten. But they never left the state.

Brea-Olinda and Mater Dei split, with Mater Dei winning the second game in the state semis. That was Mater Dei's only loss.

The difference was travel and intersectional play. SMS gave Hoover its only loss in Alabama, and with the luck of the draw, beat Mt. Lebanon out of Pennsylvania, Norcross out of Georgia and Memphis Central in the TOC, giving them a much more national footprint.

I've always said that if I did the rankings on a different day, they'd come out differently, but once I had SMS ahead of Mater Dei, then the only way for Mater Dei to pass them was for SMS to lose, and they never did. Certainly a case could be made for Mater Dei. Though Brea had a win over Potter's House Christian of Florida, I don't know why I had Brea ahead of Mater Dei.

I'm sure this is just more fodder for those who think I never lost it because I never had it to begin with, but it's always interesting to look back.

Haha this is far from social media. Forums/message boards are old school nowadays.. the newbies come and go but there are some real old timers around here

I remember when you didn't have to have a email to post on NCP. Then someone purchased it (not streak one-I think it was before him) and made it more "official".

The most memorable one was Citibank (reminds me of becool) and the trainer (his name slips my mind) who thought he was all world out of the southbay I think.

So I looked back to see a) what my rankings were, and b) what the schedules were.

I had St. Mary's No. 1, and as far as I can tell, it was a convoluted decision. First, I believe the Ben Davis coach (they were unbeaten) still remembers that they were second for ESPN (which I was doing then) despite being unbeaten. But they never left the state.

Brea-Olinda and Mater Dei split, with Mater Dei winning the second game in the state semis. That was Mater Dei's only loss.

The difference was travel and intersectional play. SMS gave Hoover its only loss in Alabama, and with the luck of the draw, beat Mt. Lebanon out of Pennsylvania, Norcross out of Georgia and Memphis Central in the TOC, giving them a much more national footprint.

I've always said that if I did the rankings on a different day, they'd come out differently, but once I had SMS ahead of Mater Dei, then the only way for Mater Dei to pass them was for SMS to lose, and they never did. Certainly a case could be made for Mater Dei. Though Brea had a win over Potter's House Christian of Florida, I don't know why I had Brea ahead of Mater Dei.

I'm sure this is just more fodder for those who think I never lost it because I never had it to begin with, but it's always interesting to look back.

Speaking of Brea, it still rankles that Coach Sink got the boot three years ago. His final CIF title team (2015-16) featured seven kids who went on to play in college, four in Division I.

Citibank was so much fun..
.. I am becool and the trainer
Same person...all world (Loyd be free)out of the south bay..
The Stockdump... now east bay...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT