ADVERTISEMENT

AM vs SJND

OnBall8

Hall of Famer
Dec 16, 2012
Just saw on ESPN that Santa Clara County just instituted a ban on gatherings/events of 1000+ people. CIF requires 1800-2000 seat capacity for a Regional Final.

Does the event get cancelled? Moved? Or do they simply tell the county that they will limit the number of attendees?

Just saw on ESPN that Santa Clara County just instituted a ban on gatherings/events of 1000+ people. CIF requires 1800-2000 seat capacity for a Regional Final.

Does the event get cancelled? Moved? Or do they simply tell the county that they will limit the number of attendees?

The game was moved to Tuesday before the order goes into effect

Reactions: Coach_Case
they have it on the website so I would think its streaming.

and @LBJ6 I haven't really had any issues with the streams. Only gripe I have is with the scores.. sometimes they are incorrect and a couple games they didn't even have it on the screen and never panned to the scoreboard. Other than that, the quality has been good for me so far.

they have it on the website so I would think its streaming.

and @LBJ6 I haven't really had any issues with the streams. Only gripe I have is with the scores.. sometimes they are incorrect and a couple games they didn't even have it on the screen and never panned to the scoreboard. Other than that, the quality has been good for me so far.
Mine have had freezing/loading issues but that could be my internet. The quality on the actual screen hasn't been bad

Isnt Miramonte in Contra Costa....Clay you might want to rethink your potential liability....since the county has made a recommendation and now you allow more than 50 people in and grandma gets real sick....you see where this is going

Last edited:
That game basically ended up being a home game for SJND as it was 20 minutes from the St Joseph's campus. Most of SJND girls practice there with Cal Stars so I'm sure so there was familiarity with the court. I would say about 2/3 of the fans were there for SJND. St Joseph's came out guns blazing and It was a hard fought game on both sides. Mitty ultimately was able to close it out but it was fun to watch. Hats off to both Archbishop Mitty and St. Joseph Notre Dame for a great game.

That game basically ended up being a home game for SJND as it was 20 minutes from the St Joseph's campus. Most of SJND girls practice there with Cal Stars so I'm sure so there was familiarity with the court. I would say about 2/3 of the fans were there for SJND. St Joseph's came out guns blazing and It was a hard fought game on both sides. Mitty ultimately was able to close it out but it was fun to watch. Hats off to both Archbishop Mitty and St. Joseph Notre Dame for a great game.
20 minutes??!?!?!??!? maybe at 3AM.

Don't think for one second that the location was random.. we all know how that happened..

And what's with no one talking about this game?? Biggest game in norcal, surrounded by questions, last minute location change, then a great game on top of that and we get crickets on here... strange for this time of year guys

Reactions: GBBall4L
I had little to do with the site selection, but I understand it was very surprising to all concerned that the game wound up at Miramonte. Apparently, no South Bay schools were willing to host on short notice once Gunn pulled out.

I had little to do with the site selection, but I understand it was very surprising to all concerned that the game wound up at Miramonte. Apparently, no South Bay schools were willing to host on short notice once Gunn pulled out.
Maybe not you directly, but we sure as heck know the guy sitting next to you last night helped out. I'd bet big money that a couple SJND parents/ cal stars coaches reached out. I would also bet big money that Mitty offered to host

Mitty was supposed to be the host but couldn’t because of government decree. They had to play somewhere. Why not Miramonte, where both teams have played on many occasions?

Mitty was supposed to be the host but couldn’t because of government decree. They had to play somewhere. Why not Miramonte, where both teams have played on many occasions?
the ban by santa clara county did not go into effect until 12:00am this morning

So why didn’t they host? It can’t be that Clay made a phone call.

I don't think SJND would agree to it. Gunn is 12 Miles from Mitty so not that far off especially with the lack of traffic right now. Mitty basically went from being the home team to the away team which was interesting. But I don't know how regional finals work as far as the location.

Obviously Kelly had a lot to do with it, and did a tremendous amount of work -- including mopping the floor, setting up the scorer's table, getting out the chairs, etc. (just as we do for every home game) -- to make it happen.

The obvious move was for Mitty to host, but apparently that wasn't an option (don't know why) so Miramonte looked like the best fallback, I guess.

They changed it to the home school site just this year. The NorCal finals have been at a neutral site for years before now.
well I know that.. so why did SJND have the chance to decline Mitty hosting?

And clay... just stop.. we know how the good ol' boys club works

Yeah, they changed that this year.

Actually they changed it midstream on us last year. When the '19 Open brackets came out, it said "hosted by higher seed." Then when we won our first two games, we were being told it had to be a neutral site. We had pictures of the original brackets and went back to the CIF State site and that had been taken down. There are seating capacity requirements to host. Most of the Open Division are private schools with smaller gyms. With us being a public school, we have the seating capacities to fulfill their requirement. However, we were the only ones that could and the CIF apparently deemed this unfair since none of the other Open Division teams could host, so we had to move our game 3 miles down the road to another high school.

My understanding is Gunn backed out the night before with concerns of hosting with the CV epidemic. Thus there was a scramble for the gym. Mitty is not allowed to host per the CIF rules. So that wasn't an option. Not sure how it went from there to MM, but the higher seed won and it all worked out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT