ADVERTISEMENT

BG Coach Sanchez to UNLV

observer22

Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
Word on the street has it that UNLV may be offering former Cal High and current Bishop Gorman coach Tony Sanchez their head coaching job within the next few days.

This post was edited on 12/15 6:09 PM by observer22

Sanchez to UNLV?

Re: BG Coach Sanchez to UNLV?

That's the rumor. Would be a huge mistake. Way too big of a jump. College coordinator or JC HC yes. But directly to HC of of a D1 program straight from high school? Gerry Faust, Todd Dodge may say the same.

Well it's obvious he can recruit like a son of a gun so that's a good start.

Originally posted by NCSF:
Well it's obvious he can recruit like a son of a gun so that's a good start.
smile.r191677.gif

Bella, just curious about the high school programs Faust and Dodge left for division 1 head coaching jobs. Were they anywhere near as high profile as Bishop Gorman? The rumor I have heard not only questions whether or not Sanchez is ready for the job, but what about his coaching staff? Having missed out playing for Tony in high school my son kind of perks up to the idea of playing for him but as his dad, this sound high risk to me.

Bubba,

In all honesty way higher profiles programs than the Bishop, really not close at all. Faust at Moeller (the DLS before there was a DLS) and a top 5 name brand team of all time.

Dodge was at SLC. Couple state titles and good winning streaks in biggest most rabid HS football state in the country.

Compared to Nevada high school football which is not good at all and has no history / tradition or competitive balance.

Bella, I agree that Nevada high school football is marginal at best. However, I have always admired Sanchez willingness to play tough out of state teams, sometimes on the road and often more than one out of state powerhouse in the same season. I guess the message is those two coaches left big time high school programs to be head coaches at D1 teams and failed. Why should Tony be any different? I remember when Tony came to Cal High my son was in his early days of the Bears youth football program and in the back of my mind I'm thinking this guy will move on to bigger and better things. The good news is Billeci is a great coach and I personally have no complaints.

This post was edited on 12/6 10:56 AM by Bubba3000

It would definitely be a mistake for UNLV to offer their head football coaching job to someone without prior D-1 coaching experience. It doesn't matter how good of a head football coach you were at the high school level. College coaching is a whole different level. It's political and you have to deal with a lot of primadonas from different high schools. His best bet would be to mentor as an offensive coordinater at a D2 program, gain valuable coaching experience, then get a head coaching job at the D2 level before moving up to D-1. Sanchez should stay at Gorman. !!@@!!

Just for persective. Dodge, while at SLC he was 98-11, 4 Texas 5A titles including 3 in a row (16-0) each year. And a 15-1 state runner up. And a piece of national titles (04'-06'). He made the jump to University of North Texas (which in not exactly getting thrown into the SEC or other high profile job) and 6-37 before getting canned.

Although not directly a HC , Gus Mulzhan made the ttransition pretty well from Springdale ark to D1 coaching

Spend a year with him and you'd get a sense of the charisma, which many high school coaches lack, and the leadership he projects. He never coddled his stars, in fact, they paid heavily for mistakes. D1 coaching openings get plenty of attention from tenured FBS/FCS coaches so the fact he's named by KLAS to the job speaks volumes of his leadership and mentoring abilities, which are aided by committed and loyal mentor assistants. Give your ACs a measure of accountability and freedom to run their units and success is palpable. A skinny WR from Granada, Laney then New Mexico St. making it to the helm of FBS? Kudos to him.

I would think he would want to wait until BG can play DLS again since he whined so much a few years back falsely claiming that the two schools had a home and home agreement.

Just be thankful DLS and Gorman aren't playing each other this year, Mounting John. This is the best Gorman team I've ever seen.

Malzhan from being a HS HC, was then OC at Arkansas, Tulsa and Auburn, before becoming a HC at Arkansas St.

Originally posted by Bubba3000:
Just be thankful DLS and Gorman aren't playing each other this year, Mounting John. This is the best Gorman team I've ever seen.
Totally agree... They are amazing. They are expected to the the mythical USA Champion this year and for good reason; they have taken down some of the best teams in the nation this year.

I think this is a good choice for UNLV. Is there a lot of risk taking a HS coach and making him a D1 head coach? Absolutely. However, what does UNLV have to lose? Over the last five years, they had four seasons of 2 wins and one bowl appearance at 7-6. The reward could be landing the next coaching star on the West Coast. If it blows up, UNLV is in the same spot they are now and try again in four years.

Nothing is worse than a program like UNLV hiring coaches that have flamed out or mid-tier coordinators.

True Streak, what does UNLV have to lose? Nothing. However, I'm not sure I would want to be one of Sanchez's first recruits unless UNLV were my only offer. Any word on who his coaching staff will be?

It's official. He gets 4 years @$500k per. Quite a leap from 6 years ago when his house was under water in the Ramon. With Fertitta backing, expect a vast improvement in the Rebels football facilities. Build it, and they will come. Congratulations Coach Sanchez.

That is awesome for coach Sanchez. After turning the program around at Cal High, he goes to Gorman and 6 state titles and a MNC later he becomes a D1 head coach and gets paid without having to move his family. He did some great things at a public school and then went even higher at a private. We'll see if he can now turn around the program at UNLV. Great things for a skinny wide receiver from Livermore. Good luck to the him and the Rebels.

I'm a big Tony Sanchez fan and I wish him nothing but success at UNLV. However, instead of having a huge talent advantage like he enjoyed at BG, he will be at a talent disadvantage pretty much every week in the highly competitive Mountain West Conference. IMO, four wins by UNLV next year will be overachieving.

Tone Sanchez will be just fine at UNLV because he has been laying the ground work, for this moment since he took the CAL high job 10 years ago. Relationships with coaches, administrators, community makers etc. etc. It is specifically his social networking skills that will allow his "success". Cal high traveled something like 10,000 people to Bellevue Washington, that was before he had the backing.
His networking is what will also allow him to attract, top notch names in college football. There is already talk of some coordinators and position people, names you will know and recognize, when negotiations are over and they go public.
Tone was a GA under Samuels at New Mexico State and was surrounded by disciples of Tom Osborn(Nebraska). Their are no aspects of the College football landscape that he does not understand or know.
Roger Theodre was also Tone Sanchez's JR college offensive Cordinator at Laney, they still have a great relationship till this day. Plenty of football resources for Sanchez to pull from.
UNLV over the next few years will become a lot like Oregon, Billionaire boosters tend to have that affect on a program.
There is already a commitment for a new 20+ million dollar football specific complex.
A lot of important people standing behind Tone, it is going to be really hard to fail.

College huh, while I am trying to enjoy the Grand Finally of the High School Season. Shouldn't this be on the insider where I can't see it and don't grow a conscious in not responding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT