ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Stanford Join the ACC

ArmchairGOAT

Hall of Famer
Dec 8, 2019
Both schools better step up their programs. Appears this could make both schools more attractive for the local talent to consider. Who doesn't want to play against the likes of UNC and Duke ?!?

Both schools better step up their programs. Appears this could make both schools more attractive for the local talent to consider. Who doesn't want to play against the likes of UNC and Duke ?!?
Yup, I immediately went to thinking oh thats cool, I can catch a UNC or Duke game vs Cal or Stanford when they make the trip out west.

Reactions: observer22
Laugh now but Madsen has brought in several quality transfers like top 10 in the country transfer class and nice incoming crop of prep kids…….one of the true frost Brown already was performing better then double digit scoring transfer Meadows who saw the writing on the wall he wasn’t going to play much and already transferred……..people are acting like Mark Fox and the 9 players that got cleared out are still there and haven’t been replaced with way more experienced and quality transfers

Mad dog will do ok and he will be gone in a few years to a bigger budget program. He can’t do any worse. It’s only up.

Mad dog will do ok and he will be gone in a few years to a bigger budget program. He can’t do any worse. It’s only up.

Maybe? But ACC now and Cal has been traditionally a decent hoops school and when needed they raised a good amount of NIL money from the Legends fund to buy the transfers needed so the money and support is there, as long as he wins some games………Legend fund is actually matching next 72 hours 500k in donations for NIL so the money for transfers is getting there

Cal raised 1.2 million in NIL funds in 72 hours
I think Cal has a pathway to sell for top guys who want to do something different than the bluebloods. The Jaylen Brown story is a good example to point to.

But they need to win games to get into the room to tell that story

Reactions: ayalar09
Laugh now but Madsen has brought in several quality transfers like top 10 in the country transfer class and nice incoming crop of prep kids…….one of the true frost Brown already was performing better then double digit scoring transfer Meadows who saw the writing on the wall he wasn’t going to play much and already transferred……..people are acting like Mark Fox and the 9 players that got cleared out are still there and haven’t been replaced with way more experienced and quality transfers
Cal will be the best team in the Bay in 2 years and in the Tourney in 3. NIL will destroy St Mary's, their foreign recruits cant accept NIL money

It’s funny to think this but I think the ACC let Stanford and Cal in, based more on the success of their other programs, outside of the basketball and football.

Cals swimming and diving teams are back to back national champs and their Rugby team is one of the best in the country. Football team and Basketball team are both improving.

Stanford has women’s and men’s volleyball, women’s bball is always in the top 10. Stanford also as a program has won more D1 titles than any other school in NCAA D1.

It’s funny to think this but I think the ACC let Stanford and Cal in, based more on the success of their other programs, outside of the basketball and football.

Cals swimming and diving teams are back to back national champs and their Rugby team is one of the best in the country. Football team and Basketball team are both improving.

Stanford has women’s and men’s volleyball, women’s bball is always in the top 10. Stanford also as a program has won more D1 titles than any other school in NCAA D1.
I don’t think that’s the case at all, those programs are all revenue suckers they bring not one penny of positive income into the athletic departments, and it’s all about money in these deals no one is interested in programs that bring no money in

It’s about money but Stanford and CAL as a brand are still known in any part of the world. These are still 2 highly attractive universities. I mean Stanford’s endowment in nearly 40b which is top 5. They aren’t hurting for money. Cal is another story but has has plenty of success in football, hoops, and baseball over the years.

Oregon State and wash State were 2 of the outliers unfortunately. They will be a great addition to another conference like mtn west?

As for st marys if they can continue to get a couple top local kids each year I don’t see them falling off with randy Bennett running that place. Maybe it’s a shift from the aussies but plenty of talent here to maintain their success.

IMO the Big 10 and Big 12 now has a bigger presence in the West, especially California, which will help recruiting in the high profile sports. I think ACC might want some West Coast connections too and in the conference realignment game, you don't want to be passive and get passed up in later years.

Cal and Stanford have the California draw and are more known brands than Oregon State and Washington State, which is why those two are still looking for homes.

Reactions: Eastbayhoops
Cal and Stanford are recipients of a bailout plan. They bring no significant value to the ACC as currently constructed but they’ve been given an opportunity to get their basketball and football programs in order.

They got a huge wake-up call when the Big10 rejected them. They better get serious about football and basketball.

Cal should have hired Deion Sanders! He would have been the perfect guy to put them back on track!

Cal will be the best team in the Bay in 2 years and in the Tourney in 3. NIL will destroy St Mary's, their foreign recruits cant accept NIL money
So if the Aussies can’t accept NIL money, why would they necessarily stop coming to SMC? It’s not like any of the larger schools can give them more money.

Cal and Stanford are recipients of a bailout plan. They bring no significant value to the ACC as currently constructed but they’ve been given an opportunity to get their basketball and football programs in order.

They got a huge wake-up call when the Big10 rejected them. They better get serious about football and basketball.

Cal should have hired Deion Sanders! He would have been the perfect guy to put them back on track!
Cal and Stanford still have a good brand and no way in hell would Deion ever come to cal. (And Vice verse) Deion don’t do woke bs and toxic environments for athletics. The Genius of Deion is Colorado is a Perfect fit for him.
He’s a college guy though. He needs to stay places he impacts 18-21 year old. Sorry CAL is an never has been on that list.

Cal and Stanford still have a good brand and no way in hell would Deion ever come to cal. (And Vice verse) Deion don’t do woke bs and toxic environments for athletics. The Genius of Deion is Colorado is a Perfect fit for him.
He’s a college guy though. He needs to stay places he impacts 18-21 year old. Sorry CAL is a never has been on that list.
Deion is as “woke”as they come! People straight hijacked that word hahahaha (see Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes: “Wake-up Everybody”)

But yeah Cal has to change the way they do things or they will not be successful in Big Time college sports. They are getting their wake up call. I do agree that Colorado is a perfect place, but Deion would have done big things at Cal! He’s the kind of person who could transform that place!

That stadium would have been packed! And ticket/merchandise sales would have been through the roof. He has hundreds of thousands of fans right here in this region! He’s a beloved 49er and loved throughout the community! $$$$$$$$ He would thrive in the Bay Area media market!

He would have brought national recruits from all around the country to Cal!

Cal’s basketball and football brand is not good. Which is why they didn’t get invited to the Big10. They are located in a top 10 media, voted best public college in the world, and have access to some of the best facilities in the country. These tangibles are all attractive to the the Big10. The issue is they don’t take basketball and football seriously. Which are no-go’s for Big-10 acceptance!

Reactions: larry legend33
He’s a college guy though. He needs to stay places he impacts 18-21 year old. Sorry CAL is an never has been on that list.
You are obsessed with saying woke. And deion is as uplifting as they come. He coached at an HBCU homeboy. You have idea what you are talking about. Equal Opportunity is EXACTLY what Prime stands on. He may be rich now, but he didn't forget what he came from.

You are obsessed with saying woke. And deion is as uplifting as they come. He coached at an HBCU homeboy. You have idea what you are talking about. Equal Opportunity is EXACTLY what Prime stands on. He may be rich now, but he didn't forget what he came from.
Your an idiot pal. Just Troll me because I’m in your dome . I’m a huge fan of prime both as a player and coach. He’s not a good fit at cal period and he wouldn’t be a good fit in NFL. He’s great with young kids. Don’t throw racist card because you have no idea about me.

Yeah Cal has to get away from the “good fit” politics. That’s why they are in the predicament that they’re in now. Major college sports is big business and Prime is great for business.

Placing Prime at the helm, would have landed Cal into the Big10. They would have been able to show a +700% increase merchandise sales, +1000% increase in ticket sales, increased media exposure and a huge bump up in TV ratings. This is what major college sports has become.

The Big10 would have certainly come calling! As the Bay Area is a top ten TV market and Sacramento (it’s neighbor) is a top 20 market. The national and local TV ratings would have been crazy!

He would have been the perfect person to navigate through all of the pseudo-liberal non-sense.

The perfect advocate to ensure the removal of that self-imposed student athlete admissions requirement.

He would have grown the national and local fan base immensely. Man Cal games would have been the hottest ticket in the US! All of the stars and celebrities from around the country would have ascended on the campus!

The games would have been sold out! He would have won the regional and national recruiting wars! He would have revolutionized Cal and Bay Area sports!

Your an idiot pal. Just Troll me because I’m in your dome . I’m a huge fan of prime both as a player and coach. He’s not a good fit at cal period and he wouldn’t be a good fit in NFL. He’s great with young kids. Don’t throw racist card because you have no idea about me.
I don't know what troll is, and I can be an idiot. But deion is as woke as they come. Being a good fit at cal is more of cal is a bad fit for him more than vice versa. I know all about you. Anyone who uses woke is a clear indication of them. You included.

Reactions: dcfan
Yeah Cal has to get away from the “good fit” politics. That’s why they are in the predicament that they’re in now. Major college sports is big business and Prime is great for business.

Placing Prime at the helm, would have landed Cal into the Big10. They would have been able to show a +700% increase merchandise sales, +1000% increase in ticket sales, increased media exposure and a huge bump up in TV ratings. This is what major college sports has become.

The Big10 would have certainly come calling! As the Bay Area is a top ten TV market and Sacramento (it’s neighbor) is a top 20 market. The national and local TV ratings would have been crazy!

He would have been the perfect person to navigate through all of the pseudo-liberal non-sense.

The perfect advocate to ensure the removal of that self-imposed student athlete admissions requirement.

He would have grown the national and local fan base immensely. Man Cal games would have been the hottest ticket in the US! All of the stars and celebrities from around the country would have ascended on the campus!

The games would have been sold out! He would have won the regional and national recruiting wars! He would have revolutionized Cal and Bay Area sports!
Then why is Colorado going to the Big 12 and not the Big 10?

Cal has a lot of issues that Deion would help solve, but a big obstacle for Cal is they view academics first over sports. That can impact how sports are funded, how they are marketed, what student-athletes they can bring in, general feel from campus community toward sports.

I'm not saying that is wrong, but it is hard to be successful in today's college football (and basketball to a point) if that is the belief of the university higher ups.

Cal has a lot of issues that Deion would help solve, but a big obstacle for Cal is they view academics first over sports. That can impact how sports are funded, how they are marketed, what student-athletes they can bring in, general feel from campus community toward sports.

I'm not saying that is wrong, but it is hard to be successful in today's college football (and basketball to a point) if that is the belief of the university higher ups.
The big 10 didn't want Colorado.

Whoa. Can you imagine the UC regents and the Cal poobahs tolerating a guy like Neon? No way. No how. Not in our lifetimes.

The Big Ten is actually a stronger academic conference than the PAC-12. The schools are also, by and large, located in big TV markets. Others, like Nebraska, have statewide audiences. If you look at it, the conference is full of traditional Rose Bowl-eligible schools. -USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Washington, UCLA, Wisconsin….

Cal fits the bill academically and tv market-wise. The Bay Area is a very attractive and innovative market.

Cal got its wake-up call upon learning that the Big10 and ACC wanted absolutely nothing to do with them. They were basically appraised as a non-Power5 institution. They had to beg the ACC to take them for Pennie’s upon the dollar. Additionally, major college football should generate more than $100 million in revenue annually. Cal is sitting on a goldmine.

Cal has had major success before- think Jeff Tedford and Todd Bozeman. Bozeman was a heckuva recruiter who was before his time…

Prime would have had Cal remove their self-imposed academic requirements. Which, to me, is rather biased. It's also costing them $100 million plus per year in potential revene…..

Regarding Colorado….The Big 12 swooped them up real quick! They saw the potential numbers. The conference obviously studied the prime effect! A 1-11 team who has been horrible in major sports secured the annual $35 million dollar tv money that is attached to Big 12 participation. That was all Prime!

Last edited:
Whoa. Can you imagine the UC regents and the Cal poobahs tolerating a guy like Neon? No way. No how. Not in our lifetimes.
That mentality just cost them $100 million annually plus greater visibility. It also exposes the irony of CA progressives! No other student population/department on a college campus generates this kind of $$$!

Last edited:
The big 10 didn't want Colorado.
My comment about Colorado had more to do with if Deion was at Cal, then the Big 10 would have brought them. Big 10 had a chance to bring a Deion school and passed. And geographically it made some sense as a kind of middle stop in what is a cross country conference.

Though I will add that Colorado back in the Big 12 is about as sane of a conference realignment move that we have seen this year

Reactions: BigMann08
It appears that each program had distinct goals/desired outcomes:

Colorado: It seems that Colorado has accomplished its desired outcome of rejoining the Big 12 conference, with Prime's support and advocacy. They secured the $$$$$

Cal's Hypothetical Goal with Prime: If Prime were coaching at Cal, it is likely that the goal would have been to join the Big 10 conference, joining the likes of USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, and potentially Stanford. This alignment could have reignited the Rose Bowl's national prominence through the Big Ten championship.

It would have been difficult for the Big10 to ignore Cal's TV ratings and sold out stadiums! The sample size was there based on what he accomplished at JSU! Which is why experts have labeled it The Prime Effect!

With that said, each institution has different goals/desired outcomes! Colorado got what they wanted. Cal did not!

The game against Nebraska had 8.73 million viewers. Nearly as much as the Texas vs Alabama game!
It’s been awesome. He’s really what college football needed. And game day is headed to Boulder this week!
They will be 3-0 but schedule gets brutal after.

Reactions: BigMann08
It’s been awesome. He’s really what college football needed. And game day is headed to Boulder this week!
They will be 3-0 but schedule gets brutal after.
Absolutely! I'm thinking about catching the game down in Eugene.

And yes, things will get much tougher in a few weeks! hahahahaha

Reactions: larry legend33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT