ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Loves Corona Centennial Players

If you notice, the majority of division one football recruits come from the bigger high school programs. When I say bigger I primarily mean the upper tiers of EBAL, BVAL and WCAL. Naturally, there are plenty of recruits coming out of the San Joaquin section, as well.

This post was edited on 4/8 11:30 AM by Bubba3000

That school is a factory for D1 players. Seems like every year they have at least 5 and sometimes as many as 10.
But they can't quite get past DLS.... Although last year was about as entertaining as a first half as I've seen anybody play DLS in a long time.

DLS is most vulnerable to a team that has a duel-threat QB. Centennial has huge splits and incredibly fast skill position guys and it took a half for DLS to make adjustments to the speed of the game.

Blows me away the size of centennials line splits. It's no wonder they kick out quality offensive linemen cause you gotta be very athletic to play line in that scheme.

Thinking about a DLS v CC game today (way too pre mature)... DLS would beat CC soundly in 2015. DLS's defense should be improved and I would expect them to play a much better first half than they did in 2014. The Spartan offense has a good chance to be even more explosive than 2014.

I dont see how CC's defense will be much improved.

Paul- First of all, I agree that DLS would beat them again. Their Offense will be better. That said, Centennial has a great deal of guys coming back and can match DLS quickness. Regarding having a better first half next time, I disagree and here's why- the problem wasn't scheme, it was speed. You can't mimic speed in practice. It takes game experience.

Aint that the truth! Opponents always looked slower on film, especially that 8mm or Super8 film we watched back in the stone age on some parents wall the night before the game. The second half was always easier after readjusting our pursuit angles. I envy today's kids being able to watch game film on HUDL on their smart phones.

This post was edited on 4/9 11:51 AM by Bubba3000

NCSF- I dont agree. DLS problem in the first half was awful containment and poor tackling. The containment was due to poor discipline- often times the DLS defenders were not in proper position- they did not misjudge the speed of the CC player.

Both issues significantly improved in the second half.

2015 DLS D line should be a dominant unit-If they play to their potential, DLS could have more stops vs CC- speed included.

Paul, what you describe sounds like a direct result of adjusting to the speed of Corona, at least it sounds that way to me.

No. The ends and LB's were mis-reading the QB/RB exchange. They over played the fakes as opposed to staying in their gaps in the first half. Once they played under more control they executed better.

Besides the QB's did the major damage early on- those QB's were no faster than Waller or the Byrnes kid. CC just executes MUCH better than anyone else.

An argument could be made that the poor tackling in the first half was due to adjusting to CC's speed- only the players/coaches could confirm/deny that. The tackling was secondary to the above tho- the running lanes DLS left were un-Spartan like ... for a half anyway.

I understand the scheme thing but part of that was caused because they were not used to huge splits and speed. Waller was fast but what you are talking about re execution "at a higher speed" was the difference and that's a faction of athleticism.

Not saying that DLS wouldn't work them but I remember the game going down a little different last season. DLS going up the TD at the half was big. Correct me if I'm wrong but at some point CC tried to throw and it backfired. Then DLS went up 14 and that was pretty much it. To add insult to injury DLS put in a Cam Newton clone just to close things out right. Still, CC was with DLS and was having trouble with CC's speed even in the second half. How I remember it is CC's coach switched it up and it backfired. DLS was having fits containing the run. Turnovers killed CC and once the QB basically drop kicked it in the open field to DLS. CC has some speed coming back and I could see them giving DLS a good game this season if they ever met.

This post was edited on 4/9 9:43 PM by slick58

Paul- Why did they tackle poorly? Please don't tell me that their technique all of a sudden got better. The answer is very simple- Centennial's speed caused them to reach and not move their feet like they normally do. The game slowed down after they saw a few drives.

I've been around the game a long time and talked to and studied with guys a lot smarter than me and they always said speed will make a good defensive player take a bad read and become a poor tackler. Centennial didn't suddenly do anything different on offense and please don't tell me Eidson didn't have them prepared.

The analogy I would use is the first time a defense faces the DLS OL. You can see it on tape and try and practice it but you won't be ready for it until you face it live. By the way, the guy who started that whole deal is Steve Alexakos who was a good friend and I learned a great deal from hours of quizzing him and watching him work.

Finally, I expect a very similar game as this last year with the exception of a more refined pass offense from DLS which will give them better balance. Tagaloa will go crazy and I hope they have a guy or two on the outside to stretch. Not that it matters- they ran their basic six players the majority of the year and everybody knew it. You still have to stop it.

There are others from the Pac-5 that could challenge and mike the southern cal open game. CC was the # 2 team in the state, sorry Folsom. SJB was also up there. MD and Serra should also be in the hunt. Anything on LPB?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT