ADVERTISEMENT

Carmel doesn’t opt up

Carmel didn't opt up which is their decision, but it is a good indication their coach knows they can't compete in the division. Better insight than you have. No basis to brag about carmel now. They are very good in a small pond.
Sounds like you are the guy with all the insight.

Carmel didn't opt up which is their decision, but it is a good indication their coach knows they can't compete in the division. Better insight than you have. No basis to brag about carmel now. They are very good in a small pond.
And just for the record, Palma is 1 for 2 against Carmel in the Golden Anderson era. Carmel is on a 1-game winning streak.

831, we aren't going to get into Carmel/PG since 2009.

Lmao pow pow shots fired everywhere ! D1backer your on a rampage right now. I’m a sensing someone is nervous about this gonza game? They should just move that game to a different venue Gonzales fans are going to show up in larger numbers than Carmel fans.

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
Lmao pow pow shots fired everywhere ! D1backer your on a rampage right now. I’m a sensing someone is nervous about this gonza game? They should just move that game to a different venue Gonzales fans are going to show up in larger numbers than Carmel fans.
I'm not nervous in the least. I hope it's a close game, and by that I mean a contest that's still undecided when the 4th quarter starts. That hasn't happened to Carmel all year. And yes, I expect lots of Gonzales fans, which will be cool. I really can't wait to see them play as I know they have a great team this year. Pulling for Carmel of course, but I'll feel a bit badly if Gonzales season ends with a loss there. They should be proud of what they've accomplished either way.

And yeah, I like to talk a little smack when motivated! All in good fun. I respect all you guys and your passion for the teams you follow, and in some cases played for.

Are Carmel and Salinas playing next year? We need this rematch!
I think Carmel will end up in the Gabilan, so they will run the gauntlet next season, including Salinas. If somehow they stay in The Mission I still won't be surprised to see Salinas on their pre-season schedule since they often do a Home and Home with pre-season teams.

I think Carmel will end up in the Gabilan, so they will run the gauntlet next season, including Salinas. If somehow they stay in The Mission I still won't be surprised to see Salinas on their pre-season schedule since they often do a Home and Home with pre-season teams.

A birdie told me that if Carmel wants to play Salinas next year, it will have to be a non-league game. Also heard they will play their first league game against Monterey next year, but will not be playing a league game against Seaside.

I think if Salinas and Carmel played again Salinas would win. Salinas got out coached in that game. Salinas had a bunch of first year starters and just weren’t clicking. Golden has players up on Varsity as early as their freshman year. They are always well coached and executing at a high level beginning of the year.

I also think if Palma played Salinas again Palma would win.

Say what you want but it’s pretty obvious Golden doesn’t think Carmel can hang with the D3 teams on a weekly grind. If he did he would have opted up.

Reactions: 831ccschamp
And just for the record, Palma is 1 for 2 against Carmel in the Golden Anderson era. Carmel is on a 1-game winning streak.

831, we aren't going to get into Carmel/PG since 2009.
Palma destroyed Carmel in the lower levels in that 2 game series which was maybe one of Carmels better teams with exception of losing against PG at end of year. You are mistaken about the streak. The second game Palma won 30-7 (2014/2015 season and Carmel JV (frosh soph) lost 48-0) after the year (2013/2014 season) before 20-10 loss (Carmel JV lost 35-6). Carmel would have clearly been in for some tough games against Palma. The Palma team that Carmel defeated was 7-4 and underachieved and plus 1st game of season. I remember watching the underclass games and they were ugly. That seriers would have gotten ugly if Carmel kept it going for another two. Carmel can only compete every few years when they have enough talent otherwise they wouldn't fair very well. Maybe one team they had in last couple decades could compete with above average year for Palma team.

Palma destroyed Carmel in the lower levels in that 2 game series which was maybe one of Carmels better teams with exception of losing against PG at end of year. You are mistaken about the streak. The second game Palma won 30-7 (2014/2015 season and Carmel JV (frosh soph) lost 48-0) after the year (2013/2014 season) before 20-10 loss (Carmel JV lost 35-6). Carmel would have clearly been in for some tough games against Palma. The Palma team that Carmel defeated was 7-4 and underachieved and plus 1st game of season. I remember watching the underclass games and they were ugly. That seriers would have gotten ugly if Carmel kept it going for another two. Carmel can only compete every few years when they have enough talent otherwise they wouldn't fair very well. Maybe one team they had in last couple decades could compete with above average year for Palma team.
You’re right, Palma is up 2-1 including the CCS Finals loss. I was out of town for that 30-7 loss.

And of course, Palma’s loss was a total fluke, with their worst team ever, while Carmel likely had their best team in a Century or two. I think their Pop Warner under 50lb squad that year was loaded too, and beat Palma’s swaddlers by 60.

I love all the rationalization. You won, you lost. The rest is all speculation and rationalization.

And let's be brutally honest here: Palma and Carmel are apples and oranges in the big picture. One is a parochial with no enrollment boundaries or restrictions, the other is a public and precisely the opposite. Palma should be a stronger athletic entity year in and year out by definition.

And let's be brutally honest here: Palma and Carmel are apples and oranges in the big picture. One is a parochial with no enrollment boundaries or restrictions, the other is a public and precisely the opposite. Palma should be a stronger athletic entity year in and year out by definition.

Carmel has some of the best athletes in Monterey county year in and year out. Not all of Carmel players live in the boundaries. There is a loop hole and they have had some of their best players take advantage of that (I’m not knocking them for doing it). I understand what you are saying and agree. The interesting thing is when Palma jacked their tuition up a few years back Carmel benefitted from that. I know of several athletes at Carmel whose families packed up and moved into the Carmel school district. They would rather pay the extra money to live in a nicer area then send their kids to Palma. For some of them it was cheaper to do so.

Like I said I agree but let’s not sell Carmel short. They produce very good athletic programs. There have been maybe a couple years in god knows how long that Carmel has put out a team that can beat Palma. For comparison there is no reason Palma should have ever put out a team that could play with DLS yet they were able to tie them.

You’re right, Palma is up 2-1 including the CCS Finals loss. I was out of town for that 30-7 loss.

And of course, Palma’s loss was a total fluke, with their worst team ever, while Carmel likely had their best team in a Century or two. I think their Pop Warner under 50lb squad that year was loaded too, and beat Palma’s swaddlers by 60.

I love all the rationalization. You won, you lost. The rest is all speculation and rationalization.
The underclass comparison was to provide an example of why the series wasn't extended. 1) varsity and underclass were not competitive against Palma and looked like at least for a couple years (because underclass weren't competitive at all). Thus, series wasn't renewed. You wouldn't see Carmel play Palma or that matter Salinas if the coach and administration didn't think they could be competitive (or if came up in playoff scenario). Carmel clearly wasn't going to be competitive against Palma based on the last game of the series and the underclass results. This Carmel team is pretty good but again no one will know how good.

Oh cmon Golden is a smart guy. He knows when he has a chance to beat Palma. He isn’t calling then every year for a game. Was it a fluke Carmel won? No but the game would have never of happened if Golden didn’t see an opportunity to win.

Feels like Folsom v DLS on this thread I Love it!!!

So much to respond too...

1. Carmel Not Moving Up
It had nothing to do with not being able to compete. It mostly had to do with a prolonged football season. Small school, these athletes need to go to Wrestle, soccer and basketball. They do not want have any lingering effects or injuries to go and play in what amounts to "trival" bowl games (if they advanced). Outside of the open game these are not state championships. And most of us would agree the Southern Section DI final is the trues state championship this year. Why is everyone conered about Carmel not moving up? What about Independence 10-0 with the one of the laregest enrollments in CCS. They should of opted up. Or Lincoln, an "A" league champion chose not to participate in the playoffs at all so they could go beat up on "C" league rival: because it's tradition. where is the outrage. I would of loved to see Carmle compete in the DIII bracket and I know it was discussed/debated by the coaches. In the end the decision was made to best benefit the student athletes, not us posters. Just like Lincoln, Monterey and Independence, all these schools made the decision no to move up.
2. Gonzales over Carmel
Carmel used its "B" league placement as an excuse to not play RLS this year. Meanwhile RLS put a scare into Gonzales's perfect season, as they took a 10-7 lead into the 2nd qtr. Then the other ACT bus showed up for Gonzlaes and the Spartans squeaked out a 41-10 win. So it is obvious while Carmel was playing the likes of Salinas, they chose to avoid powerhouses like RLS. Therefore Gonzales is much more battle tested than Carmel. After reading through the above posts apparently Carmel played Salinas's JV team. As a rematch would certainly go to the Cowboys. All kidding aside, I just don't see it happening. Carmel will be too fast for them on offense. I think Gonzales will score, but Carmel will be able to get more stops on defense.
3. Carmel In the Gabilan
Carmel went 1-0 in the Gabilan this year. Beating the co-champions. Yet a lot of you are saying they couldn't compete? If Carmel were in the Gabilin this year they would of finished no worst than 2nd or third. They beat one of the champions, they would be favored vs Hollister. They would give Aptos and Palma a good game. The rest of the league was horrible they would of crushed the bottom of that Leauge. The reason why Carmel does not want to compete up there is the lower levels. No Freshmen team, top Sophomores play on varsity. in 2014/2015 Carmel played Palma, Salinas and Christoper in the Pre-season. That varsity team had 12 Sophomores on a 45+ man roster. They went 1-2 beating Christopher and losing to Salinas and Palma in the 2nd half. The JV team was outscored like 150-0 over those three games. Remember this year Carmel only had 20 eligible JV kids to play Salinas, so they forfeited the JV contest. Carmel can compete on a Vastiy level in the Gabilan, but only if there JV could stay down in a B league.​

DIBacker you were on a tear yestrday those were some great posts. Norcal, you are the GOAT when it comes to Monterey county football (especially Palma and the Gabilan teams) but I disagree that this Carmel team would not be competitive this year. Next years team will be just as good offensively if not even a little better. They are going to take a very serious hit on the defensive side of the ball. But if they have too they will be competitve in the Gabilan. But the JV will get its ass kicked...

Last edited:
Feels like Folsom v DLS on this thread I Love it!!!

So much to respond too...

1. Carmel Not Moving Up
It had nothing to do with not being able to compete. It mostly had to do with a prolonged football season. Small school, these athletes need to go to Wrestle, soccer and basketball. They do not want have any lingering effects or injuries to go and play in what amounts to "trival" bowl games (if they advanced). Outside of the open game these are not state championships. And most of us would agree the Southern Section DI final is the trues state championship this year. Why is everyone conered about Carmel not moving up? What about Independence 10-0 with the one of the laregest enrollments in CCS. They should of opted up. Or Lincoln, an "A" league champion chose not to participate in the playoffs at all so they could go beat up on "C" league rival: because it's tradition. where is the outrage. I would of loved to see Carmle compete in the DIII bracket and I know it was discussed/debated by the coaches. In the end the decision was made to best benefit the student athletes, not us posters. Just like Lincoln, Monterey and Independence, all these schools made the decision no to move up.
2. Gonzales over Carmel
Carmel used its "B" league placement as an excuse to not play RLS this year. Meanwhile RLS put a scare into Gonzales's perfect season, as they took a 10-7 lead into the 2nd qtr. Then the other ACT bus showed up for Gonzlaes and the Spartans squeaked out a 41-10 win. So it is obvious while Carmel was playing the likes of Salinas, they chose to avoid powerhouses like RLS. Therefore Gonzales is much more battle tested than Carmel. After reading through the above posts apparently Carmel played Salinas's JV team. As a rematch would certainly go to the Cowboys. All kidding aside, I just don't see it happening. Carmel will be too fast for them on offense. I think Gonzales will score, but Carmel will be able to get more stops on defense.
3. Carmel In the Gabilan
Carmel went 1-0 in the Gabilan this year. Beating the co-champions. Yet a lot of you are saying they couldn't compete? If Carmel were in the Gabilin this year they would of finished no worst than 2nd or third. They beat one of the champions, they would be favored vs Hollister. They would give Aptos and Palma a good game. The rest of the league was horrible they would of crushed the bottom of that Leauge. The reason why Carmel does not want to compete up there is the lower levels. No Freshmen team, top Sophomores play on varsity. in 2014/2015 Carmel played Palma, Salinas and Christoper in the Pre-season. That varsity team had 12 Sophomores on a 45+ man roster. They went 1-2 beating Christopher and losing to Salinas and Palma in the 2nd half. The JV team was outscored like 150-0 over those three games. Remember this year Carmel only had 20 eligible JV kids to play Salinas, so they forfeited the JV contest. Carmel can compete on a Vastiy level in the Gabilan, but only if there JV could stay down in a B league.​

DIBacker you were on a tear yestrday those were some great posts. Norcal, you are the GOAT when it comes to Monterey county football (especially Palma and the Gabilan teams) but I disagree that this Carmel team would not be competitive this year. Next years team will be just as good offensively if not even a little better. They are going to take a very serious hit on the defensive side of the ball. But if they have too they will be competitve in the Gabilan. But the JV will get its ass kicked...

So much to respond to lol

1. I don’t think we care about the other teams you mentioned because we are all primarily from Monterey county in this discussion. Plus we don’t know enough about those schools or we don’t think they can hang with the teams they would opt up to play. I think Carmel could compete with the D3 teams for a title so that’s why I am disappointed they didn’t opt up. Now the speculation has been put out there. I’m sure there are a several reasons Golden decided not to opt up. They have their goals and oh well. I think we all just wanted to see some good football games.

2. Agree. Gonzales is stepping up as a program but it’s going to take a little more to get to Carmel’s level.

3. I think most of us think they can compete in the gab. I don’t think Golden thinks they can hang on weekly basis with the top 4 but they certainly have the talent and coaching to play with them. They could probably pull out some wins. They got the upper hand on Salinas this year early on. Who knows what would happen if they had to play Salinas, Aptos, Hollister or Palma in back to back weeks or all consecutive. I think this is a big time concern for them. Carmel isn’t afraid to go toe to toe with one of them early in the season. I think Carmel has a big advantage early in the season against teams because they bring so many underclassman up. They are always well coached and prepared early on. End of the season grind will be a whole different ball game for them though.

Playing Salinas game 1 vs playing them game 6 on is a whole different animal. Salinas at the end of the year is very tough. Carmel should get bumped into

The underclass comparison was to provide an example of why the series wasn't extended. 1) varsity and underclass were not competitive against Palma and looked like at least for a couple years (because underclass weren't competitive at all). Thus, series wasn't renewed. You wouldn't see Carmel play Palma or that matter Salinas if the coach and administration didn't think they could be competitive (or if came up in playoff scenario). Carmel clearly wasn't going to be competitive against Palma based on the last game of the series and the underclass results. This Carmel team is pretty good but again no one will know how good.
Fair enough. I agree on all of the above.

Playing Salinas game 1 vs playing them game 6 on is a whole different animal. Salinas at the end of the year is very tough. Carmel should get bumped into

Definitely could have resulted in a different outcome. Same could be said for Palma vs Salinas. Hell one week Hollister whoops Salinas and two weeks later it’s the opposite. This years teams were all very close imo. Palma has a good shot at having to play Aptos again which came down to the final play.

First of all, this thread is getting way too long and not really deserving of this much attention.

The Padres are a lot like the Tennessee Titans. The top teams in the Gabilan are like the Patriots. Every once and a while the Titans beat the Pats. Not really an upset. (The Bills or the Jets beating the Pats would be an upset.) But it can happen when all the right things come together for the Titans. But nobody expects the Titans to beat the Pats every year.

Since 2008 Carmel has had two or three really good teams (by area-wide small public school standards) And in 2 or 3 seasons might have been able to hang with the better Gabilan teams. But it is not going to happen every year.

This year's Padres team could have competed in the Gabilan, maybe finishing 3rd or 4th. Mostly because of their defense. Offense has been inconsistent. Next year will be a different story. The offense next year will probably be better than this year. The defense has a LOT of re-loading to do. It is a shame that they will be put in the Gabilan next year. I don't think next year's Padres would have any sort of a lock on the Mission.

Carmel is going to beat Gonzales senseless, not even the SLV helmet mics could keep this game close.
I think Carmel should be favored but they didn’t even beat a 6-4 C league team senseless. I think you might be wrong of the out come or at least how competitive the game will be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT