ADVERTISEMENT

Casey Taylor is leading his third team to a Section Final

You are right. We should teach Johnny that the world should not be competitive because he is entitled to seeing the field because mommy and daddy could afford Folsom.
“Entitled”? I know who you are. Only the Folsom cult and parents who transfer their kids in for football ONLY believe this BS.

I thought I was fairly clear. I believe a true competitor love challenges and doesn’t feel the need to stack the deck or front run in order to win.

There are some that will steal money from the bank in a game of monopoly in order to win the game. And there are others that realize that’s not really winning and their pride and competitive nature won’t allow them to do it. The latter tend to need even greater odds to overcome in order to prove to themselves how good they are.

If you subscribe to and excuse the former tactic — more power to you. We’re just clearly on polar opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard. Such is life.

Best example I can point to is Bo Jackson choosing Auburn over Alabama in part because Bear Bryant told him that the Tide hadn’t lost to Auburn in nearly 10 years and wasn’t going to lose to them anytime soon. That was the extra challenge Jackson needed and guess who scored the game winning TD as a freshman to beat Bama that season?
I see your point. I think some families aren’t necessarily looking for the opportunity for their kids to win championships but to get exposure, better education and/or scholarship opportunities. I don’t think that makes the kid any less competitive.

Example: Lance Briggs left Florin High (after Freshman year) to attend Elk Grove. Donte Stallworth lived a few hundred yards away from Natomas High. DJ Williams lived near Grant. Shaq Thompson near Foothill High School. Tim Lang attended Natomas High School.

Would these kids receive scholarship and recognition by attending their neighborhood school? Possibly. Did their parents place them in the best possible position to succeed? I think so!

Chad Elliott left NU to attend Grant. Does he get an Arizona State scholarship running the wing T at NU? Probably not.

He had already won a championship at NU. He wanted a chance to throw the ball, something NU wasn’t interested in doing. I saw the move as ambitious!

But I get it! Some kids transfer or attend schools for winning purposes. Others do it for exposure and or platform.

I’m not mad at the N’Gata brothers for attending Folsom. Nor am I upset at the host of JR. Pacer’s currently starring at Folsom, Granite Bay, Serra (San Mateo), Capital Christian, Antelope and Inderkum. (I count 10 kids)

These kids are all competitive and their families made choices with their futures in mind.

Last edited:
In the Northern Section there are quite a few with 2.

Matt Hunsaker won 8 Section titles at Big Valley, and 1 at Central Valley. His son JC won a Section title at Shasta as well.

Curtis Parks won a Section title with Williams and 2 in Willows.

Mike McDonald won titles at Mercy and Orland.

Darren Trueblood probably would have taken UPrep to the title game if Cancer didnt get him first after winning at Enterprise for years.

And you already mentioned Cooley.

EN_FB, is East Nic going to make another run w/Barker back? Do you have any insight on how East Nic will be in the near future?

Barker was only back for this season. Sad to see it end in the semi-final round. Rumor has it that Matt Ray, of Antelope/Union Mine is back at EN as the AD and will be taking over as HC. This coming season will be tough, this years crop of Jr's and So's were very light and with a new coaching staff it will be a building year, but the future is bright with the crop of Frosh and Jr program.

I think I actually agree with your take. Sometimes you only get one shot in this life and if I’m a kid with D1 potential I’m going to put myself in the best position possible to capture my dreams. We live in a cold world and that’s the sad truth.
never understood why anyone would be mad at another parent for putting their kid in the best position to succeed and continue to do such. its literally what the parenting manual says is your job.

Reactions: SJS Lord
never understood why anyone would be mad at another parent for putting their kid in the best position to succeed and continue to do such. its literally what the parenting manual says is your job.
Agree, but when they do it on the private school end the stands. The public versus private debate has gone on for years. Can’t blame anyone for sending their child to a great program, and in the Sac area it is evident Folsom is the place to be. Your comment should need the private versus public debate to be honest

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT