ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Baseball Playoff Brackets Are Available

Not sure. I expected them to be in D-II.

First game will be at Fairmont in Pacifica, Wed. May 17th at 4pm. Not at SFSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusaders70
Same question. Mitty 15-12 bottom half of WCAL Open division SH Division II? Not really rewarding for the team they have this year.

The program has the final say if they want to "opt up" and play with the big boys if they are not one of the 6 automatic bids and/or do not have enough CCS points to be in the Top 16.
That's how Serra and Mitty got into Open-

The point system is really poor. Bad look for the section. Here are the top seeds for each division:

Open:

1. Palo Alto
2. Carlmont
3. San Benito
4. Willow Glen

Division I:

1. Westmont
2. Mountain View
3. Christopher
4. Alvarez

Division II:

1. Sacred Heart Cathedral
2. Soquel
3. Pacific Grove
4. Terra Nova

Has nothing to do with SHC's schedule. They elected to play in their enrollment category, DII. You have to remember, it has been nearly 20 years since they captured a CCS title (and 30 for a league title), and although the program is much better, I imagine they hope to play as long as they can and possible be rewarded with a final appearance. I imagine if they win in DII and with team they have next year, that Open will be the option.

Last edited:
Irish beat Pinewood 13-0. They play Burlingame next on Saturday at SH Prep in Atherton at 11:00.

Last edited:
So much for the No.1 and No 2. in Open. Tough draws (with WCAL teams). Who wants to play a wounded Serra? just like a wounded lion. Did off-field issues consciously affect PA?

So much for the No.1 and No 2. in Open. Tough draws (with WCAL teams). Who wants to play a wounded Serra? just like a wounded lion. Did off-field issues consciously affect PA?

Two years in a row PA was the #1 seed only to lose to a WCAL #16 Seed. They need to revise their seeding system.

Does the WCAL playoffs have an adverse effect on WCAL teams in the CCS playoffs? The first round record of the league is very interesting since the creation of the Open Division.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
The WCAL playoffs hurt its teams when it comes to rankings because calhisports looks askance at any team with more than five losses, even if three of the losses are to the ace from Valley Christian. Re the CCS playoffs I am curious how many WCAL teams threw their ace in the opening round. Hats off to LG and Santa Cruz, though.

That is what makes ranking baseball teams so difficult. It isn't just quality wins and losses. You have to track who pitched and schedule for the week (like a fourth game at the end of the week against a non-league team).

Reactions: colhenrylives
I don't think the WCAL playoffs have any negative impact on the first round of the playoffs. I think they help. Keeps players motivated with a chance to earn a share of a WCAL title, which is incredibly hard and important. I think the only significant change from years past vis a vis the Open is that the first round games are WAY tougher than they used to be. To be honest, the first round used to be a winnable game for most WCAL teams. If you were seeded high enough, you had a game against an inferior opponent (in most cases). Now every game is a nightmare. Putting all the "A" league champs in their together has created a wicked tournament. The seeding system, with points, is flawed, but it served us well for a long time. I think next year the Open becomes 8 teams and I think that changes everything. Not sure how that will work

The WCAL playoffs hurt its teams when it comes to rankings because calhisports looks askance at any team with more than five losses, even if three of the losses are to the ace from Valley Christian. Re the CCS playoffs I am curious how many WCAL teams threw their ace in the opening round. Hats off to LG and Santa Cruz, though.

berdooman,
From the available info looks like all of the teams threw their #1's in the first round.

SF started Folan co pitcher of the year in the WCAL. LG started their ace Wilcox

Bells don't post to MaxPreps and neither the Merc or the Sentinal reporters listed the box scores or the Bells starter. Santa Cruz threw their ace Felix

VC started Wicklander co pitcher of the year in the WCAL. WG doesn't post

Serra started their ace Scott. Carlmont started their ace Prozell.

Mitty started their ace Goicovich. Paly started their ace Chang

Last edited:
berdooman,
From the available info looks like all of the teams threw their #1's in the first round.

SF started Folan co pitcher of the year in the WCAL. LG started their ace Wilcox

Bells don't post to MaxPreps and neither the Merc or the Sentinal reporters listed the box scores or the Bells starter. Santa Cruz threw their ace Felix

VC started Wicklander co pitcher of the year in the WCAL. WG doesn't post

Serra started their ace Scott. Carlmont started their ace Prozell.

Mitty started their ace Goicovich. Paly started their ace Chang
Bellarmine kid was topping out at 91 so dude was pretty nice. Mitty was without their ace Hayden King who was ill

Bellarmine kid was topping out at 91 so dude was pretty nice. Mitty was without their ace Hayden King who was ill
Yeah you can't go wrong with either of the Mitty kids. Was surprised at their record with those two arms available. Just couldn't hit consistently.

Palma should have their junior Cal commit 10-1 ace Sam Stotenborough on the mound against Serra.

Should be a fun night of semi-finals with each team having legit guys on the mound.

VC wins open with a 4-3 win or Serra.

Serra had bases loaded and no outs in 7th. Scored one on a wild pitch. Then VC got a 1-2-3 double play. With runners at 2nd and 3rd, VC closes it out with a K.

It clicked for Valley Christian in second half of the year. Congrats to the Warriors.

Menlo beat Burlingame 1-0 for the D-II title. Thanks, Knights.

Westmont beat Los Altos 8-1 for the D-I title.

Valley Christian beat Serra 4-3 in the Open.

Just a thought: If, for the sake of discussion, your favorite team (say, SHC) is upset by a lower seed (say, Burlingame) and that team (say, Burlingame) gets into the championship game and barely loses to (say, Menlo School, 1-0), wouldn't that close defeat in a title tilt tend to validate, at least somewhat, the exemplary season your favorite team (say, SHC) had in 2017? It certainly would for moi.

Just a thought: If, for the sake of discussion, your favorite team (say, SHC) is upset by a lower seed (say, Burlingame) and that team (say, Burlingame) gets into the championship game and barely loses to (say, Menlo School, 1-0), wouldn't that close defeat in a title tilt tend to validate, at least somewhat, the exemplary season your favorite team (say, SHC) had in 2017? It certainly would for moi.

70da91728f27107a074d03235149bfa5.jpg

Hmm.. Possibly so. Also, add the sweep of Valley Christian and a win over Serra, Bellarmine and Mitty by SHC and that would still make these guys good enough to win a trophy. See you on May 26, 2018 at San Jose Muni.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT