ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Div 4

NorCalScout

Sports Fanatic
Jul 10, 2001
I saw Half Moon Bay a few times early on this year and now see that they are 22-0. So my question is, are these teams in the CCS D4 really that good or is it a product of their schedule and who they play?

Half Moon Bay
Sacred Heart Prep
Palma

They have a good program there led by a very good coach. For basketball since the 90s, CCS has been dominated by WCAL teams in all divisions except D5. D4 you may have a year here and there where SH, Riordan or Valley Christian may be in D4 but most WCAL teams now are D3 and above.

CCS ranking for D4 at this stage is probably (consistent with prep2prep.com) - and one of these three teams should win CCS D4 playoffs and believe two of these would move to norcal. All three probably compete with the top NCS and SJS D4 teams in norcal playoff and maybe even favored. The below 3 would compete with the WCAL teams mentioned above if in D4 CCS playoff this year. Overall records somewhat based on schedules, but not any weaker than NCS teams in same division. These teams have a chance to do some damage in the norcals.

Half Moon Bay (undefeated)
Half Moon Bay is a well coached team and they have some length on the front line this year. I have always been impressed with their passing and defense. The defeated St Partick St Vincent which has kind of had a down turn as of the last couple games. This team hasn't been tested yet by playing a stronger program so maybe they should be #2 or #3, but they are a well coached team and they can be a matchup problem for some very good D4 schools.

Sacred Heart Prep
Sacred Heart Prep like half Moon Bay has great coaching. I think at this stage ranking them behind HMB in D4 is probably right. The schedules may have a little to do with their records, but both can compete pretty far into D4. SHP defeated Bellarmine (although middle of the pack WCAL this year) and lost to #2 WCAL Serra by 12. They dominated Justin Sienna which doesn't say much as a comparable to other NCS top D4 teams.

Palma (17-3)
Palma ranked #3 at this stage (17-3) is very good. They will be at another level next season due to them being young, but also talented t this stage and getting better as the season progresses. The New Head Coach (an assistant before) has them playing very good defense and the offense distributes the ball well. They have both an inside game and hot shooters from the perimeter. Top players are junior Wyatt Maker Jr, 6-8 and growing (his 6-11 father played on the NCAA champion Villanova team that defeated Patrick Ewing's Georgetown team). His younger brother a 6-4 frosh Garret Maker also plays on the team but a backup and will be an elite player. Palma also has a very talented soph scorer Jamaree Bouyea, and a junior sharp shooter junior that is 5-5 tall, but buries the 3 pointers. They have a 4 year senior starter Jack Burlison (who's father was a college player) that is an extremely good defender and sound experienced and athletic and quick seniors. I wouldn't call them an elite team, but they can be dangerous and have depth on the bench. Early in the season they lost a relatively close game to St Mary's Stockton and seemed to have had an off game against Santa Cruz (which lost to an Aptos team Palma defeated by 35 pts, and Santa Cruz also only lost to Jesuit SJS by 5). Palma defeated Aptos by 35 and Aptos is in first place in the SCCAL. They also lost to St Francis-Mountain View (leads the WCAL) by 9, but the game was only a 3 point difference with 3 minutes left in the game. I'm hestitant to move Palma to #2 in CCS D4 due to the past couple years in meting Sacred Heart prep in the playoffs away at SHP's home court (Palma never seems to be able to shoot well there but this team is different - has a different offensive approach). Palma is going to be even better next year and I think they have a shot at winning CCS D4. Palma wins tonight and they clinch at least share of their league and good shot at going undefeated until playoffs.

This post was edited on 2/6 12:23 PM by NorCalSportsFan

This post was edited on 2/6 12:26 PM by NorCalSportsFan

This post was edited on 2/6 12:28 PM by NorCalSportsFan

This post was edited on 2/6 12:32 PM by NorCalSportsFan

This post was edited on 2/6 12:36 PM by NorCalSportsFan

This post was edited on 2/6 12:40 PM by NorCalSportsFan

As good as HMB, SHP, and Palma I still like the teams from NCS D4. (Salesian, St Mary's, St. Pats, and Newman)
Also what about Liberty Ranch? Are they for real.

But HMB is very good and well coached. Consistently one of the best D4 teams in Norcal.

I can't remember if Palma played SHP at Menlo court (walking distance to Sacred Heart Prep campus) or at SHP last time or the year before. Both beautiful campuses. The last couple times I have been to the campus for basketball was when Palma had Noah Allen as a junior and senior who is now a soph at UCLA. Sacred Heart Prep is an incredibly nice campus. Menlo is too.

Of the teams mentioned in CCS and NCS, probably all would be good games. No really dominating or elite team when you compare them against each other. Just good teams for the size of schools and probably going to be some good games. Based on who Liberty Ranch has played as far as wins and losses, it looks like they could be comparable as well.

Yeah, you don't have the Salesian type teams of the past where you had several D1 players and they are arguably the best team in Norcal period. These teams are all just good solid HS teams. A few of these kids will play D2 or maybe low D1 but nothing like the past. WIll make for a really exciting playoffs.

Sacred Heart Prep is the best CCS D4 team for my money. I'd take them straight up to beat Half Moon Bay in a head to head match up.

Palma is a step below those two teams.

If all 3 teams are put up into the CCS Open bracket, they will merely serve as cannon fodder for the WCAL teams - and the CCS D4 Champion will be amongst the weakest section winners ever!! What you are looking at in that event is a section winner from Menlo, Harker, Santa Cruz, King's Academy - and that is mediocre high school basketball personified, not a legitimate section winner!

SHP was up big on Serra at half (I think like 10 or 15) and then kinda fell apart. I understand they lost but that game was close going into the fourth quarter. SHP in my mind is the best team in D4 and can hang with almost all the WCAL teams, but maybe not St. Francis. If you haven't watched them go do so because they are gonna make a very deep run and probably make CCS open, which guarantees them a NorCal bid.

SHP, Sacred Heart, Palma will all make it to the open. Santa Cruz will then be the favorite in division 4 and they are no mediocre basketball team. Check there log theyhave some significant wins . They beat Palma. In my opinion they are underachieving in league. But they have 2 players that are as good as most.

This post was edited on 2/10 3:57 PM by paul s

Paul S,

Santa Cruz would be favored over HMB? Menlo will make the Open? I don't think Menlo is even close to being an Open Caliber team. Didn't King's Academy beat them just recently?

Sorry SHP,Palma and HMB will be in the open.so three teams from D 4 will go in my opinion.. Menlo will not go but will probably be a top 4 seed in D-4

Other CCS D4 teams include Monte Vista Christian- Watsonville (decent bit a level below Palma), Pacific Grove(MTAL), Menlo, Santa Cruz (if they are in D4) with a shot at winning the playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT