ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Open Predictions

The Moon will have to defeat both M-A and Sequoia to capture the PAL tourney title. Won't be a walk in the park.

No it won't be... that's for sure. The PAL really needs to consider a restructure or going back to a power structure Bay, Ocean, Lake. If they just put HMB in the south and moved Burlingame to the north it would be much more competitive for everybody, and the league would be much more reparable. These blowouts aren't good for anybody.

No it won't be... that's for sure. The PAL really needs to consider a restructure or going back to a power structure Bay, Ocean, Lake. If they just put HMB in the south and moved Burlingame to the north it would be much more competitive for everybody, and the league would be much more reparable. These blowouts aren't good for anybody.
Sounds like the same story as the BV "Easy" League. Someone's agenda hurts the weaker. While the rich get richer the weak get poorer. My nephews JV team lost by 68 this year, on top of that somebody wrote " Go Home C league losers". Kids in the program are quitting. Come playoff time it will really hit home what a watered down schedule does. The A league Pirates have the weakest, yes weakest schedule of any A league program in the section.

With MA beating Palo Alto tonight seems like Ma has solidified their Open spot, with this win and a win over Sequioa last night. Like Watcher mentioned, it will almost certainly come down to Serra or Half Moon Bay for the last spot in the CCS Open

GOTF, Why wouldn't you want HMB not go to the Open? HMB automatically qualifies for NorCals in their respective division and it is a great tune up to go up against the CCS's top teams.
Riordan qualified every year since the Open's inception except for last season and every year they finished no worse than a semi-finalist losing to the eventual NorCal champ and/or State champ.

AND ..... What did the KIDS walk away with?
Don't get me wrong if your one of the top 3-4 teams then the open is a great deal! Your correct get in a couple games against quality teams then fall back to your divisional play and make your run at state.
Now this is Just my opinion... and who am I ? Just another bored old Coach that is a washed up ex-athlete that could of...... or should of ....... You know the Al Bundy story. Ha ha
Anyway, in my opinion a team like this years HMB should stay away from the open. For starters they don't have the size or depth of roster to compete against the top teams. If they made open They would end up being the 8 seed and face the top seed.....for what? Get hammered by 20 plus, loose any mojo or confidence the kids had going then get your next consultation game that is totally meaningless and get beat up again? The open works for the top teams but not so much for the bottom 4-8 teams. If you take the other path though divisional play the whole way, first try to win the PAL NORTH out right ( which is all but locked up) then move onto winning the PAL which won't be an easy task, Sequoia, MA. Now the boys have something ! 2 banners on the gym wall PAL NORTH CHAMPS & PAL LEAGUE CHAMPS. Now your mojo and confidence is sky high and you start your run though CCS D4 playing comparible teams "shouldn't" see any big blowouts. Hopefully theyre still cooking cause HMB has beaten a couple the top D4 teams already this year. Palma, Pacific Grove ,& Menlo. So let's hope that turns out good NOW the kids have another banner on the wall, a CCS D4 championship ring, and the city of HMB throws a parade. Hoping the kids are still healthy and then you lock into D4 and make your run at state. Fingers crossed, a couple gods on your side, a good break here and there and Boom your playing for state title ! Sounds easy right ? A real no brainer.......

Coaching is taking over - Rich and Mike best coaches in PAL - MA & HMB not has talented has people will tell you - some other teams have way better players but no coaching - I mean is there one other coach who can teach a lay-up in the whole league? Keep up the good work guys I will be seeing you two in the Championship @ the side!

Looks like the top 6 are in and will likely be seeded as such (assuming the WCAL holds, M-A/Palma win their league) -

1. Bellarmine
2. St. Ignatius
3. St. Francis
4. Menlo-Atherton
5. Mitty
6. Palma

Then it gets murky. The last 2 spots will come down to 4 teams...Palo Alto, Sequoia, Half Moon Bay, and Serra.

PA/Sequoia will depend on how they finish. If Sequoia gets to the PAL championship game and wins they are for sure in, and Palo Alto is out. If Sequoia gets to the PAL championship game and loses to M-A, it'll be close. Palo Alto lost to M-A, SF, and Bell which makes their schedule tougher than Sequoia, but Sequoia has that win double digit win over M-A. Remember only 3 teams from a division can be in the open so D1 has Bellarmine, M-A, then either Palo Alto or Sequoia.

Half Moon Bay needs to get to the PAL championship game and win to get in. If they lose to Sequoia in the semi-finals then I think Serra gets in over them. I still think they get in over Serra if they get to the PAL championship game but lose to M-A.

Serra gets in if Half Moon Bay loses to Sequoia in the semi-finals of the PAL tournament.

My prediction (for whatever it's worth) - M-A wins the PAL tournament over Half Moon Bay. That gives a possible bracket -

1. Bellarmine
2. St. Ignatius
3. St. Francis
4. Menlo-Atherton
5. Mitty
6. Half Moon Bay
7. Palo Alto
8. Palma

If Half Moon Bay loses to Sequoia.

1. Bellarmine
2. St. Ignatius
3. St. Francis
4. M-A
5. Mitty
6. Sequoia
7. Palma
8. Serra

From what I can tell - The PAL tournament is going to decide the fate of several teams.

Palo Alto will be in open I think. A Saturday road loss to M-A is not much of a hit.
Sequoia will be Division 1 #1 unless something crazy happens.

Half Moon Bay has better wins than Serra

Serra doesn't have a banner win like Palma

Serra has a bunch of "ok" wins ...Riordan, Sacred Heart, Huntington, Miramonte, etc.

But they have not proven they can beat anyone in the open. Half Moon Bay has proven that. Serra has a chance to prove themselves more in these last few weeks.

We will see what the committee does but to me (for what its worth) I think the Cougars will be in open once again.

HMB lost to Burlingame! Serra would beat both HMB and Palma. Their leagues do not prepare them for the Open. See the results from the last two years. Serra beat Palo Alto by 10 in the foundation game. I know it doesn't count on your record, but everyone made a big deal of HMB beating SI in the foundation game. They should just put all the WCAL teams in the Open.

Reactions: GOTF
Palo Alto will be in open I think. A Saturday road loss to M-A is not much of a hit.
Sequoia will be Division 1 #1 unless something crazy happens.

Half Moon Bay has better wins than Serra

Serra doesn't have a banner win like Palma

Serra has a bunch of "ok" wins ...Riordan, Sacred Heart, Huntington, Miramonte, etc.

But they have not proven they can beat anyone in the open. Half Moon Bay has proven that. Serra has a chance to prove themselves more in these last few weeks.

We will see what the committee does but to me (for what its worth) I think the Cougars will be in open once again.

Serra just got their banner win last night. Beating St Francis. This might be the win they needed to get them into the Open. Beating Valley in their last game will be a must though.

Reactions: GOTF
Earlier in the week, the SI game was re-added to HMB's schedule on MaxPreps and prep2prep for reasons I don't know why, considering it had already been removed before. I think the author of the article simply glanced over the schedule without realizing it was a CCS sportsmanship game. Simple mistake, but one that definitely affects the open seeds in their article.

Last edited:
Good one down in San Mateo in the Jungle Game -- McDonald with the 3 pt BOMB at the buzzer for the WIN!!!

Final Serra 60 St Ignatius 59 .

With Serra's win over SI tonight put them into the Open?? That is a huge win and solidify them in the Open for sure

I think that while Serra has some good wins, they shouldn't go in the open. The WCAL is down this year and even SI even though they got off to a great start and have had a great season so far are coming back down to earth a little bit. 5WCAL teams in the open is too much. And if that what it comes down to then the CCS is in bad shape. The fact that there are not 4 quality teams throughout entire section to justify the Open format is sad. 5 have to come from one league? I think Palma, Palo Alto and MA have to be in the open and either HMB, or even Menlo who just won their league at 11-1 should be considered also. I know sequoia would put another division 1 team in open but if it's truly the OPEN why put limitations on teams coming from a division but not from a certain league? Just put the best of the best and let them battle it out. Just my thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT