ADVERTISEMENT

CIF Open Predictions

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
So far this is how I would have it shaking out, remember these are just projections.

1) Salesians (NCS Open Champ) BYE

2) St Josephs (Santa Maria) (Central Champ) BYE

3) DLS (NCS Open Runner up) vs. 6) Modesto Christian (SJS Champs)

4) Branson (NCS Open 3rd place) vs. 5) Riordan (CCS Open Champs)

There is a chance they could take Branson and put them in D1, but I think this year they will take 6 teams, since the above six I feel have earned a crack at the Open Division.

Reactions: M.C. fan
I think the Section Playoffs will be tough in CCS, NCS, SJS!!
Why do you see only one team from CS, if Clovis North and Clovis West win over St. Josephs wouldn't they get an invite. Would St. Joesph's go D1, absolutely not. If they take only 6 teams, why would Salesian be selected #1? If the NCS has close games in section open, then St. Josephs if they win CS easily would be awarded #1 being they're the defending NOR CAL Champ. I think we have 8 selections this year. NCS runner-up, perhaps at-large making 3 selections. SRV wins NCS then DLS and Branson still will be Open. CCS potentially winner Riordan or Mitty runner-up being in top 25 Cal Hi Sports all year should be Open. SJS, if MC wins is one if MT wins depending on game could select two teams. If Weston Ranch, Inderkum or Capital Christian win then only one selection.

I think there is a strong case for 8 teams.
NCS-3
CCS-2
CS-2
SJS-1/2

I as of today would have

St. Joesphs #1
De La Salle #2
Salesian #3
Modesto Christian #4
Riordan #5
Clovis North/West #6
Branson#7
Monterey Trail or San Ramon Valley #8

Goodluck to all teams!!

Why do you see only one team from CS, if Clovis North and Clovis West win over St. Josephs wouldn't they get an invite. Would St. Joesph's go D1, absolutely not. If they take only 6 teams, why would Salesian be selected #1? If the NCS has close games in section open, then St. Josephs if they win CS easily would be awarded #1 being they're the defending NOR CAL Champ. I think we have 8 selections this year. NCS runner-up, perhaps at-large making 3 selections. SRV wins NCS then DLS and Branson still will be Open. CCS potentially winner Riordan or Mitty runner-up being in top 25 Cal Hi Sports all year should be Open. SJS, if MC wins is one if MT wins depending on game could select two teams. If Weston Ranch, Inderkum or Capital Christian win then only one selection.

NCS-3
CCS-2
CS-2
SJS-1/2

I as of today would have

St. Joesphs #1
De La Salle #2
Salesian #3
Modesto Christian #4
Riordan #5
Clovis North/West #6
Branson#7

Goodluck to all teams!!
Last years results have no bearing on this years seedings

Last years results have no bearing on this years seedings
If they have to choose between two champions. Then they look at rankings and past achievements. CIF not me. We play in Oakland tonight come check us out!

The open division will be for teams from any division, any section and regardless of enrollment.

Criteria include:
*Winning two straight section titles
*Playing in a regional final in three of the previous four years
*Appearing in the top 10 of the Cal-Hi Sports, MaxPreps or CalPreps rankings for two straight years, including the current one.

Two other considerations will be that no section is required to send more than four teams to either boys or girls brackets and that the eight-team open division brackets do not have to be completely filled. The four-team minimum rule mostly will apply to the CIF Southern Section in Southern California and the CIF North Coast Section in Northern California.

Section commissioners in the north and south will determine the open division brackets once the section playoffs are completed. They would then seed the other five divisions just as they always have and would fill in spots left by teams moving up to the open division probably with additional semifinalist or quarterfinalist section playoff teams.

Personally I think MC has to win SJS D1 to get open invite. If they don't they go D1 or home.
Always tough and a great team but a pretty big fall off from last year IMO.
I see 6 teams.
St Joeseph
Salesian
DLS
Branson
Riordan
SJS Winner

SRV, Mitty, Granada, CLovis North, and some very good losers out of SJS like Sheldon, MT , Weston Ranch all play D1.

NCS-3
CCS-2
CS-2
SJS-1/2

I as of today would have

St. Joesphs #1
De La Salle #2
Salesian #3
Modesto Christian #4
Riordan #5
Clovis North/West #6
Branson#7

Goodluck to all teams!!
What does being a defending champ have to do with seeding for this year? Salesian has been the #1 Norcal team this year, ranked over St. Josephs all year and played a tougher schedule with only 1 loss on the year. Then you put De La over Salesian also? MC hasn't beat anybody meaningful all year. BOD is their only quality win.

REMIX

1. Salesian
2. St. Josephs
3. De La Salle
4. Branson
5. Rirodan
6. SRV
if they take 8
7. Clovis North
8. Monterey Trail

Reactions: dlew66
What does being a defending champ have to do with seeding for this year? Salesian has been the #1 Norcal team this year, ranked over St. Josephs all year and played a tougher schedule with only 1 loss on the year. Then you put De La over Salesian also? MC hasn't beat anybody meaningful all year. BOD is their only quality win.

REMIX

1. Salesian
2. St. Josephs
3. De La Salle
4. Branson
5. Rirodan
6. SRV
if they take 8
7. Clovis North
8. Monterey Trail

I think SRV goes D1 and they pull in an SJS team. But I could be wrong and its been a down year overall in SJS in terms of that one really good team. I like your top 5 though.

I think SRV goes D1 and they pull in an SJS team. But I could be wrong and its been a down year overall in SJS in terms of that one really good team. I like your top 5 though.
Which SJS team would you put in? SRV has been on a nice run since December it will be hard to keep them out

Which SJS team would you put in? SRV has been on a nice run since December it will be hard to keep them out
Well funny you say that. At first I was on the fence that no SJS team would get in. All the household names (MC, Weston Ranch, Sheldon, Montery Trail, etc) don't have a signature win and by their standards I would argue all are "down" this year. So..... I think if MC runs SJS D1 and wins in a convincing manner they get the nod based on resume. Does it say anywhere that a section champion has to have an open team admitted? Actually, it can't because the northern section would likely never. I wouldn't mind seeing D1 loaded this year.

Well funny you say that. At first I was on the fence that no SJS team would get in. All the household names (MC, Weston Ranch, Sheldon, Montery Trail, etc) don't have a signature win and by their standards I would argue all are "down" this year. So..... I think if MC runs SJS D1 and wins in a convincing manner they get the nod based on resume. Does it say anywhere that a section champion has to have an open team admitted? Actually, it can't because the northern section would likely never. I wouldn't mind seeing D1 loaded this year.
While SRV has been playing well, Granada beat them in league, has a better record, and is seeded higher in this week’s league tourney. If they don’t win the rematch on Thursday, they’ll be seeded lower in the NCS Open. So don’t sleep on Granada.

Having said that, SRV only lost to both DLS & Granada 60-58 for their only 2 EBAL losses. They are dangerous and capable of beating anyone on the right night. I think DLS is a lock for the NorCal Open. Granada and SRV are battling to join them.

While SRV has been playing well, Granada beat them in league, has a better record, and is seeded higher in this week’s league tourney. If they don’t win the rematch on Thursday, they’ll be seeded lower in the NCS Open. So don’t sleep on Granada.

Having said that, SRV only lost to both DLS & Granada 60-58 for their only 2 EBAL losses. They are dangerous and capable of beating anyone on the right night. I think DLS is a lock for the NorCal Open. Granada and SRV are battling to join them.
My Bad Granada should have been included in the conversation. My Apologies to Granada!

Larry you might have a keen sense of the landscape. I would argue MC is way better than you might estimate. The talent is just as good as last year. Sac-Joaquin Section has been not the headliner it was but be careful in under rating the section. Not where you start, but where you end!

Reactions: jordan24
After a loss against Oakland today, I project 5 teams to make the CIF Open:

1) Salesian -BYE
2) St Joseph’s -BYE
3) De La Salle - BYE
4) Branson vs. 5) Riordan

D1 is going to be plenty good with University, Modesto Christian, Clovis West, Clovis North, Rocklin, Monterey Trail, SI and Mitty.

1) Salesian -BYE
2) St Joseph’s -BYE
3) De La Salle - BYE

D1 is going to be plenty good with University, Modesto Christian, Clovis West, Clovis North, Rocklin, Monterey Trail, SI and Mitty.
So no NCS teams other than University in the running in D1? Ok.

1) Salesian -BYE
2) St Joseph’s -BYE
3) De La Salle - BYE
At the moment, if the games stopped tonight, maybe... Except that the SJS would scream bloody murder if their champ didn't get a shot. Maybe a 6) seed for the SJS champ (all of this barring no major upsets).

Of course, we had one big upset tonight, with Oakland taking out Modesto Christian. What does the committee do if Oakland runs the table in the Oakland section tourney and MC wins SJS Open? Longshot, but far from impossible... Enquiring minds want to know...

Lots can happen in the next few days, for sure!

Reactions: ayalar09

NCS-3
CCS-2
CS-2
SJS-1/2

I as of today would have

St. Joesphs #1
De La Salle #2
Salesian #3
Modesto Christian #4
Riordan #5
Clovis North/West #6
Branson#7

Goodluck to all teams!!
Not sure why you would have Branson so low and DLS#2.

I haven’t followed Santa Maria much and I didn’t realize they have played some damn good teams. I knew they beat Branson. They lost badly to Gonzaga of DC but looking at that and I assume that was the Pine Bluff Tournament as Pine Bluff was in it as well as a

NCS-3
CCS-2
CS-2
SJS-1/2

I as of today would have

St. Joesphs #1
De La Salle #2
Salesian #3
Modesto Christian #4
Riordan #5
Clovis North/West #6
Branson#7

Goodluck to all teams!!
Not sure why you would have Branson so low as they did beat Riordan. I think based on last nights loss, you could put MC in that 7th seed. And Salesian is definitely above DLS.

What I find interesting is I haven’t followed St Joseph’s all year. But one noted Salesian has played a harder schedule, St Joe’s has played a tough one as well. Why they were put up against Gonzaga(DC) in the King Cotton Classic I would have not been happy. Side note, great to see that tournament still is rolling. I thought it finally went down but talk about some great history. Oops, after further looking into it it did go down but has been back since 2018. It is one of the first national high school basketball tournaments and I member on ESPN the famous St Joe’s with Jason Kidd took down Corliss Williamson to win the title. Teams don’t travel like Kidd did. They played in this tournament, the round ball classic in South Carolina and pretty sure Iolani all in one season.

Anyways St Joe’s beat Branson, in the King Cotton the 4th ranked team in Arkansas. They won the Capital Classic and blew out the 62nd nationally ranked team in the title game. Good to see a school get out to two national tournaments. They lost to Rosevelt by 1 but beat a good Pasadena team that beat Crespi.

Salesian beat Centennial by 3 total points in 2 games. It is evident Centennial has dropped off without McCain has they are 20-10. Beat Windward, Damien, and Riordan.

And when comparing league schedule and this could just be Salesian’s style, but St Joe’s blows teams out and we all know from a league standpoint they’re a walk for both.

So I think MC may be right. St Joe’s may have a slightly better resume and could be considered for the number 1 seed.

MC loss to Oakland isn't a nail in their coffin but its damn close. I don't see how they get the open nod now.
Looking like no SJS teams if you ask me.

Coming up in about a week or so, we will see where everyone gets seeded. Here are my picks for the NCS Open division:

1) Salesian (TCAL-R) - Bye

2) De La Salle (EBAL) - Bye

3) Branson (MCL) vs. 6) San Ramon Valley (EBAL)
Technically SRV should be the 5 seed, but they usually like to separate teams from their own conference. This would be a really good matchup between two well coached teams.

4) Granada (EBAL) vs. 5) University (BCL-W)
Granada is really strong and would give University a good game. Right now the bottom teams considered have bad enough losses to where I can’t see them passing University.

Teams considered: Montgomery, Cardinal Newman, Bishop O’Dowd

Not sure how it would work with the matchups after the 1st round

So no NCS teams other than University in the running in D1? Ok.

Granada will be D1 no matter what, San Ramon Valley probably D1. BOD will probably make D1. I also think winner of Montgomery/Cardinal Newman in D2 have a shot at moving up. I wouldn’t put both in D1, since their losses are kind of bad losses.

Reactions: larry legend33
I feel the NorCal portion of the Open should always include the top teams in each of the CCS, NCS & SJS. The remainder of the bracket should be comprised of the best of the rest, whether that be from the Central Section, Oakland or SF, or the 2nd or 3rd best teams from those 3 main sections.

Last edited:
Not sure why you would have Branson so low and DLS#2.

I haven’t followed Santa Maria much and I didn’t realize they have played some damn good teams. I knew they beat Branson. They lost badly to Gonzaga of DC but looking at that and I assume that was the Pine Bluff Tournament as Pine Bluff was in it as well as a

Not sure why you would have Branson so low as they did beat Riordan. I think based on last nights loss, you could put MC in that 7th seed. And Salesian is definitely above DLS.

What I find interesting is I haven’t followed St Joseph’s all year. But one noted Salesian has played a harder schedule, St Joe’s has played a tough one as well. Why they were put up against Gonzaga(DC) in the King Cotton Classic I would have not been happy. Side note, great to see that tournament still is rolling. I thought it finally went down but talk about some great history. Oops, after further looking into it it did go down but has been back since 2018. It is one of the first national high school basketball tournaments and I member on ESPN the famous St Joe’s with Jason Kidd took down Corliss Williamson to win the title. Teams don’t travel like Kidd did. They played in this tournament, the round ball classic in South Carolina and pretty sure Iolani all in one season.

Anyways St Joe’s beat Branson, in the King Cotton the 4th ranked team in Arkansas. They won the Capital Classic and blew out the 62nd nationally ranked team in the title game. Good to see a school get out to two national tournaments. They lost to Rosevelt by 1 but beat a good Pasadena team that beat Crespi.

Salesian beat Centennial by 3 total points in 2 games. It is evident Centennial has dropped off without McCain has they are 20-10. Beat Windward, Damien, and Riordan.

And when comparing league schedule and this could just be Salesian’s style, but St Joe’s blows teams out and we all know from a league standpoint they’re a walk for both.

So I think MC may be right. St Joe’s may have a slightly better resume and could be considered for the number 1 seed.
The NCS Open will determine the final reps for the NorCal Open. I could see a potential Final 4 being Salesian-SRV and DLS-Branson.
@HSWIZARD73 Riordan played in the King Cotton Classic in 86. They upset the #1 Player at the time JR Reid. Riordan's Chris Munk gained a lot of attention at that game as well as Terrence Mullins. Unfortunately, Munk blew out his knee in the next game.

The NCS Open will determine the final reps for the NorCal Open. I could see a potential Final 4 being Salesian-SRV and DLS-Branson.
@HSWIZARD73 Riordan played in the King Cotton Classic in 86. They upset the #1 Player at the time JR Reid. Riordan's Chris Munk gained a lot of attention at that game as well as Terrence Mullins. Unfortunately, Munk blew out his knee in the next game.
You know now you mentioned I kind of recall Merv Harris doing something on that. In 86 I was in 7rh grade so unfortunately I did not get to see that Riordan team play. I was speaking to someone the other day and they said they believe that was the best team hands down and they got knocked off which I would love to hear how.

Granada will be D1 no matter what, San Ramon Valley probably D1. BOD will probably make D1. I also think winner of Montgomery/Cardinal Newman in D2 have a shot at moving up. I wouldn’t put both in D1, since their losses are kind of bad losses.
Agree. Newman and Monty however should def be d2. Maybe next year Newman gets moved up because they have a lot of kids coming back but this year they are really a d2 team. Really strong year in NCS.

MC couldn't get past Oakland High last night so they won't be in the conversation. Branson beat Monterey Trail by 20 which could've been 30 or 40 easily so i don't think they are in either. Better off with Clovis North and West instead

Mitty and Riordan will both be in the open

Yeah I actually agree Mitty deserves a spot IF they make the CCS Open Championship. Heck maybe if they upset Riordan tonight, it would put them in, but their only losses have been too top tier quality opponents.

A Sacred Heart Prep being put on their side of the bracket, I think could def throw a wrench in Mitty being an Open team.

Another team in CCS that teams should be wary of is Santa Cruz. Lost but played Oakland and Uni close, and picked up a win against a strong Justin-Siena team.

But like I said previously, they make the CCS Open finals against Riordan and I think both those teams get a bid.

Just a thought. IF MC can win SJS D1 , even though it has been stated that the SJS is down, I can see them getting an open "invite". I think that the selection commitee may think that MC deserves an open nod, because of the "makeup" of the team. "...They want to be elite, let them play the elite bracket, even if it's a first round bounce...."

Just a thought. IF MC can win SJS D1 , even though it has been stated that the SJS is down, I can see them getting an open "invite". I think that the selection commitee may think that MC deserves an open nod, because of the "makeup" of the team. "...They want to be elite, let them play the elite bracket, even if it's a first round bounce...."

To me best shot at a SJS rep is probably Monterrey Trail and there is a good chance they see Modesto Christian in a potential Championship. But Inderkum, Weston Ranch and Mountain House will all also be in the same bracket.

I guess in about a week or two we will know more.

MC loss to Oakland isn't a nail in their coffin but its damn close. I don't see how they get the open nod now.
Looking like no SJS teams if you ask there

To me best shot at a SJS rep is probably Monterrey Trail and there is a good chance they see Modesto Christian in a potential Championship. But Inderkum, Weston Ranch and Mountain House will all also be in the same bracket.

I guess in about a week or two we will know more.
Monterey Trails plays Inderkum tomorrow. We will see how that goes.

I think the SJS D1 winner will go to Open.

Reactions: observer22
You hear Notre Dame Sherman Oaks isn't in SOCAL open. 4th place in the brutal mission league.
That is tough to swallow considering they are a top 25 team in the nation.

You hear Notre Dame Sherman Oaks isn't in SOCAL open. 4th place in the brutal mission league.
That is tough to swallow considering they are a top 25 team in the nation.
Makes road for NorCal D1 champion that much tougher

Centennial as an 8 seed is insane

They actually beat Roosevelt, as did Roosevelt’s first round opponent Junipero Serra.

I don’t understand why St Pius made it over Notre Dame, unless they have a rule that certain league winners are automatically given a spot.

Centennial as an 8 seed is insane

They actually beat Roosevelt, as did Roosevelt’s first round opponent Junipero Serra.

I don’t understand why St Pius made it over Notre Dame, unless they have a rule that certain league winners are automatically given a spot.
when you say Juniper Serra thats who San Mateo is usually referred as
In reference there is
Juniper Serra - San Mateo
Serra - Gardena
JSerra Catholic - San Juan Capistrano who is in the open.
Also there open is pool play so it’s not really a first round. Everyone plays 3 games with pool winners playing 4

Reactions: bella123
modesto christian lost for second time this week this time to weston ranch. Clovis west beat clovis north also tonight

As of today this is where I have it

1 Salesian
2 Riordan
3 Branson
4 Central section “north, west, st jo”
5 DLS
6 SJS winner

* SRV with loss to Salesian #1 seed div 1
* runner up central section is next

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT