ADVERTISEMENT

Change?

The only thing that stays constant on this board are Riordan and SHC alums/supporters touting how good each is and the demise of each school. Honestly, if it wasnt for the four or five divisions in sectionals, neither school (along with SI) would see much action beyond league. Before 1980 only the champions of each league would play beyond league, and I dont see either school (including the Cats) doing that in recent history.

Look the Elephant in room with transfers is this:

the AAU circuit for basketball has players and parents dreaming beyond high school.

Far are the days when athletic kids (particularly basketball, to now some extent baseball) picked a school for school itself. There is very little allegiance to one's alma mater like their was before the 90s. These kids play year around now and with kids from rival schools, and their parents talk to each other constantly. Where Johnny will fit in, and in what program, is always part of the conversation.

Being true to your school goes as far as what Johnny and his parents see as the best avenue to get looks. Old school parents expected their kids to finish at one school. With the "Jones' " moving from school to school, a lot of parents are thinking why not me - whatever makes the kid and parent "happy".

I too attended one of the "Unholy Trinity". Some sports we were good at, others we were not. but we learned from both and didnt expect a quick fix would make it all better - it rarely, if ever, does. I cant think of a single kid who transferred to play at another rival school,

Being that said, exhale and enjoy what is left of summer.

Last edited:
The only thing that stays constant on this board are Riordan and SHC alums/supporters touting how good each is and the demise of each school. Look the Elephant in room with transfers is this:

the AAU circuit for basketball has players and parents dreaming beyond high school.

Far are the days when athletic kids (particularly basketball, to now some extent baseball) picked a school for school itself. There is very little allegiance to one's alma mater like their was before the 90s. These kids play year around now and with kids from rival schools, and their parents talk to each other constantly. Where Johnny will fit in, and in what program, is always part of the conversation.

Being true to your school goes as far as what Johnny and his parents see as the best avenue to get looks. Old school parents expected their kids to finish at one school. With the "Jones' " moving from school to school, a lot of parents are thinking why not me - whatever makes the kid and parent "happy".

I too attended one of the "Unholy Trinity". Some sports we were good at, others we were not. but we learned from both and didnt expect a quick fix would make it all better - it rarely, if ever, does. I cant think of a single kid who transferred to play at another rival school,

Not applicable in this case...

Reactions: cherylbaustin
Small world story, I had a Humanities class with you at SFSU. You were and probably still are a funny guy. Great job being EJ's dad. Really a joy to watch him play and grow these 3 years at SH.
What a small world indeed. I was an SF Gator from Fall 1993 straight through when I graduated with my MSW in the Spring of 2000. Yes my friend, I was goofy back then and it sometimes comes out now.
I’ve always appreciated your comments, whether they were positive or constructive. Thank you for your kind words and I will keep you posted on EJ for sure.

Reactions: LoganHomer
FOH!
since 2004, ARHS is 5-9 against SH in football. SH, a school that doesn’t even have their own field, who is supposed to be the doormat every year in football. And in some years that lone WCAL win was against SH! What’s that say about you? F....O....H!

Yah skip JVs, no one gives two licks about JV football except you I guess.

Oh yes, I can’t wait for the "MASS EXODUS".

Medicinal? Pass that around!

He's been puffing that "max exodus" joint for years now. What if it were a couple of 5' 2" 90lb. freshmen transferring instead of two varsity players? Take a look at past varsity results to get past the BS.
SHC just had it's gym floor re-done in dark green with the shamrock logo replacing the seal. Who doesn't want to play in the league's premiere basketball venue?
For football, SHC contributed $1.3 million for the turf field at nearby Lang Field. Irish have steadily improved in baseball and have a soccer powerhouse. Yeah, can't wait for the "Max Exodus".

Last edited:
The only thing that stays constant on this board are Riordan and SHC alums/supporters touting how good each is and the demise of each school. Honestly, if it wasnt for the four or five divisions in sectionals, neither school (along with SI) would see much action beyond league. Before 1980 only the champions of each league would play beyond league, and I dont see either school (including the Cats) doing that in recent history.

As much as you have started a great dialog, I do feel that your knowledge of AAU is second hand and "hyperbolic". The candidence and openness of this parent is very rare and to throw it in to the hyperbole of AAU is very demeaning in my opinion.

I am not sure you have this great insight of parent conversations at AAI games Btwn parents, but the reality is the change in CIF rules regarding transfer created this enigma.

Also when new program leadership changes and it is successful. Parent hear request from the children about interest. SHC was just the most recent program at risk and remains at risk with the success of the year.

IC,

You a good publisher of Fake News, but one can't fabricate the amount of former SHC students at Riordan now. What statatistions do with these numbers is call the trends...

Max Exodus was not my icon, I just remember it and now I see it starting to happen.

As much as you have started a great dialog, I do feel that your knowledge of AAU is second hand and "hyperbolic". The candidence and openness of this parent is very rare and to throw it in to the hyperbole of AAU is very demeaning in my opinion.

I am not sure you have this great insight of parent conversations at AAI games Btwn parents, but the reality is the change in CIF rules regarding transfer created this enigma.

Also when new program leadership changes and it is successful. Parent hear request from the children about interest. SHC was just the most recent program at risk and remains at risk with the success of the year.
I respect your perspective. Let me be clear, I do give Mr. Monroe all the props for being open. My issue is the influence AAU has on one's allegiance to sticking it out with one's program. In my opinion, it does muddy the water. As Mr. Monroe indicated, this was not his son's (and family's) reason, and I respect that.

I respect your perspective. Let me be clear, I do give Mr. Monroe all the props for being open. My issue is the influence AAU has on one's allegiance to sticking it out with one's program. In my opinion, it does muddy the water. As Mr. Monroe indicated, this was not his son's (and family's) reason, and I respect that.
Riordan’s philosophy is very unique and intriguing in so many ways, that it would be difficult not to put your Son in that kind of educational opportunity TODAY!! So many factors make Riordan an attractive destination. The fact that it’s an All-Boy’s School that emphasizes Brotherhood Values. The fact that it’s a Boarding School, that now gives your young Men International exposure. So, for individuals, (parents) I should say, who are born and raised, bread and fed San Franciscans, Riordan is a hard place to pass up for your Son. And I haven’t even brought up the Athletics part of the equation. I’m biased to a degree, but wherever the Dr. goes to Coach, you better keep your eyes open. I am proud to say that I very a personal relationship with Coach Rich Forslund. He is my friend. I am well aware that Mike Curtain is the Head Varsity Coach at Riordan, but I want to give props to my friend Coach Forslund. Forslund Coached the Lowell Cardinals Boys Varsity in the City when I played for Mission High back in the early 90’s. Coach Rich took the time to talk to me, even though I didn’t play for him, he treated me like one of his players/sons and thus we became friends way back then. I mean, we talked on the phone and had intelligent conversations back in the 90’s while I was still in High School. Coach Rich Forslund is one of the City’s best Coaching products. He inspired me when I was a kid, so I can give a personal testimony to the character and love Coach Rich has for kids of all races. Coach Rich transcends all races, colors, sexes, classes and creeds. He can Coach at the prestigious Olympic Club as well as he can Coach at the historic and also prestigious Joe Lee Gym on 3rd Street in Hunter’s Point. Riordan is the place to go in San Francisco, especially right now, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents from a tried and true SF City Boy who has seen the Landscape (Good & Bad) of San Francisco Athletics since the late 80’s but my Family has been in San Francisco since August 1945. My Late Grandfather was one of the first Black Cable Car Operators for MUNI. Wishing nothing but great hoops, dialogue and conversation.

What a small world indeed. I was an SF Gator from Fall 1993 straight through when I graduated with my MSW in the Spring of 2000. Yes my friend, I was goofy back then and it sometimes comes out now.
I’ve always appreciated your comments, whether they were positive or constructive. Thank you for your kind words and I will keep you posted on EJ for sure.
If Drawing Charges was an official stat in the game of Basketball, EJ would hold the WCAL record. My Son risking his body for his Team was a skill that I loved seeing him do. EJ is an unselfish kid, always has. He’s a Teamplayer, almost to a fault, as he will play help defense and help the other guy, not realizing that the man he’s guarding is usually the best shooter on the other team and if you give that kid an inch they take a mile and more than likely that kid will drain the shot. As a born and raised SF City guy, I have a wealth of opinions regarding the history and plight of SF City School Athletics. On so many levels, I have concerns about High School athletics programs in many of our City Schools. In short, many of our City kids deserve better. This comment is San Francisco City & County specific, my comments are not addressed to San Mateo, Marin, Alameda or Santa Clara Counties. I can only speak about SF City School Athletics as I’ve been around for a minute lol I welcome real, uncut dialogue, no sugar-coating, the real deal.

For all the challenges and struggles of the SF AAA, it has been refreshing to see success the past 2 seasons. 2018 Mission HS D3 State Hoops Champs and even more impressive is Galileo’s State Football title last year.

For all the challenges and struggles of the SF AAA, it has been refreshing to see success the past 2 seasons. 2018 Mission HS D3 State Hoops Champs and even more impressive is Galileo’s State Football title last year.
I cannot agree with you more. You could not have asked for a better storyline of breakthrough and rise for the AAA!! The fact that AAA Schools can move past winning (Football) Turkey Day is wonderful, giving the AAA Football Champs an opportunity to compete further than Kezar Stadium in SF is a blessing. In basketball, I remember, due to CIF enrollment rules, all AAA winners had to play D1 in Regional Play. When I was at Mission, I would literally beg Coach McNealy (MAC) to PLEASE put us in D2,3,4 or even 5 lol but he would say Mission’s student enrollment at the time wouldn’t allow us to be in anything except D1. In 91 we lost at the Oakland Coliseum to Jason Kidd (St. Joes), 92 we lost a thriller by 1 point at Kezar to Kareem Jackson (Bishop O’Dowd) and in 93 we lost at the Coliseum to Isaac Fontaine/Josh King (Jesuit). I have personal grievances about always having to play D1 in regional play after we won AAA 3-Peat, but after almost 30 years lol I should let it go, right??? Lol
Here wishing everyone GOOD HOOPS for the next generations FOLKS!!!!!!! 1Love

Last edited:
If Drawing Charges was an official stat in the game of Basketball, EJ would hold the WCAL record. My Son risking his body for his Team was a skill that I loved seeing him do. EJ is an unselfish kid, always has. He’s a Teamplayer, almost to a fault, as he will play help defense and help the other guy, not realizing that the man he’s guarding is usually the best shooter on the other team and if you give that kid an inch they take a mile and more than likely that kid will drain the shot. As a born and raised SF City guy, I have a wealth of opinions regarding the history and plight of SF City School Athletics. On so many levels, I have concerns about High School athletics programs in many of our City Schools. In short, many of our City kids deserve better. This comment is San Francisco City & County specific, my comments are not addressed to San Mateo, Marin, Alameda or Santa Clara Counties. I can only speak about SF City School Athletics as I’ve been around for a minute lol I welcome real, uncut dialogue, no sugar-coating, the real deal.

EJ is a quintessential basketball player. He is not the kid who was the tallest on the team and insisted he just be the small forward and shoot 3s and prefer not to be in the paint. Yes, drawing offensive charges is EJ's staple. The team and crowd fed off of that. There is not a whole lot to not like about EJ's progression (if you nit-pick, his heat check 3's from 25ft+ are pretty much the only questionable choices. He must have gotten that from his uncle Marcel).

EJ is a quintessential basketball player. He is not the kid who was the tallest on the team and insisted he just be the small forward and shoot 3s and prefer not to be in the paint. Yes, drawing offensive charges is EJ's staple. The team and crowd fed off of that. There is not a whole lot to not like about EJ's progression (if you nit-pick, his heat check 3's from 25ft+ are pretty much the only questionable choices. He must have gotten that from his uncle Marcel).
Thanks so much for being real and candid regarding my son’s play. I am very honest and my critique of my son is real and I’ve never held back on my comments on his play. So with that stated, I am hoping in my son’s next phase, he will develop into the more complete player, as a Wing/Shooter, that his ultimate potential will allow. As a Sophomore (16-17) at SHC, EJ was thrown into the starting lineup because of the untimely departure of Tyler Hilman. EJ was looking forward to being essentially his backup and get some good minutes. So with Tyler’s departure, Alfred gone, new Coach, he was thrust into a situation that propelled his development. The 3 you speak of, the % made was higher that season because of young men like Nathan Robinson and others whom most teams keyed on so EJ was able to hit from outside and teams were beginning to key in on him. Anywho, what people don’t know is EJ has been dealing with a nagging injury to his wrist on his shooting hand when he fell driving to the basket against Serra early last season. That injury, coupled with other factors, for one he’d shoot way too far from the 3 point line and two, he’s shooting on a bum wrist. EJ is great with a Team that runs effective Set Offenses. He thrives under that structure.
I was very vocal to him about where he was shooting the 3 this past season versus the season before. Trust me, he doesn’t really like to hear my rants, but he has no choice lol
My Brother Marcel was a Playmaker and a Human Highlight Reel at SI. He did hit some 3’s tho, but I enjoyed his Allen Iverson mirrored skills, he could really dribble that basketball. I was an undersized Big lol I enjoyed banging down low and being the underdog. It’s hard to not support a kid’s dreams and goals when he garnered an A grade in Advanced Algebra/Trigonometry 1,2 last year.

I like how this thread turned very wholesome on page two, that's what makes Sports amazing.
Hey, I be wanting to join in on good old fashioned dialogue on this blog, but it be hard when the conversations be more about bashing kids and programs and not about constructive comments and dialogues that make you think. Because in the end, my kid and other kids read all this stuff we put out lol every last detail......

Reactions: jordan24
...and in 93 will lost at the Coliseum to Isaac Fontaine/Josh King (Jesuit)...
That '93 matchup @ the Coliseum should have been Riordan (led by Jaha Wilson) and Mission. As I recall, Riordan got hosed from a buzzer beating shot that should have counted in their game at Jesuit. Isola and the staff were livid. Would have been nice to see.

Reactions: m4success
That '93 matchup @ the Coliseum should have been Riordan (led by Jaha Wilson) and Mission. As I recall, Riordan got hosed from a buzzer beating shot that should have counted in their game at Jesuit. Isola and the staff were livid. Would have been nice to see.
If I can recall, Riordan lost to SI in the 1993 WCAL Championship at USF (I was there, USF was jam packed.) That was a tough Riordan loss, but that Coach Don Lippi led SI Team (Justice Durkee, Fergus Intimen, Tim Yamamura, JP Burgez- He was a dam good shooter) had the strategy against Ha (WCAL POY) one of my good friends to this very day. Then, in CCS play, Riordan lost (upset) to the Bellarmine Bells and then the Bells beat SI in the CCS Championship. As a result, Riordan didn’t get a CIF berth that year (93) surprisingly, Bellarmine and SI got the births. In the CIF quarterfinal first round, SI played McClymonds (Renard Monroe- PG) at Cal State Hayward and beat SI. McClymonds went on to play De La Salle and lost, as a guy from De La Salle made 20 or 25 Free throws in one game???? Who does that??? McClymonds was undefeated until that game. Anywho, Mission (we) played Bellarmine at Kezar and beat the Bells by 4 points to advance to the Coliseum to face Jesuit of Carmichael, who had beat visiting Bishop O’Dowd by 8 or 9 points in quarterfinal play. The Coach now at Bellarmine, it was his 2nd year as Coach of the Bells and they had that Gonzaga bound shooter named Kevin Williams who almost willed them to win with 34 points with another guy named AJ Shagley. I led the Mission Bears that night with 28 points lol if I had skills like my Son EJ back then I would have had at least 40 lolololol

I’m a bit of a historian so please forgive my book writing.

One of the biggest reasons Mission wanted to play Riordan is Tavio Lucas RIP (1997), transferred to Riordan from Mission at the start of the 1991-92 Season. He played guard alongside another friend, Parnell Copeland, that year and Riordan lost in the WCAL Championship Game to SI at USF, that was led by first year coach, Don Lippi and recent SF Prep HOFer John Duggan. I wanted to face Riordan for 2 years, but never got the chance to. Tavio’s Father, Mr. Robert L. Lucas, passed away earlier this year.

I had to reread your comments to make sure I understand what you’re saying. The idea of ‘sticking it out and make the best of it’ doesn’t work for some kids, like it worked during my era in the late 80’s and 90’s. For some kids, instead of being ‘true’ to their school, some kids want to remain ‘true to themselves.’ That’s the difference now as opposed to back in the day when many of us had our identity through a school. Now my friend, especially with Social Media, it’s more about who a person is individually, instead of a mere school identity. Now I’m not saying which one is good and which one is bad, my feeling is whatever works for your situation, go for it.
On a personal level and opinion, if a kid has stellar grades and if that kid has goals and dreams and they would like to take an unpopular or untraditional road to getting there, as long as a kid is true to themselves and is sure that they want to explore the option, GO FOR IT!!!!

Riordan lost to Mater dei in March 1990 D1 CIF/Reebok State Championship 62-60. Had Riordan won that Ship it would have changed the whole Crusader Basketball Landscape! I watched that game on KCIU Channel 36 lol Dwayne Fontana, Dorian Manigo, etc; !!!! The memories!!!!!

Last edited:
One of the biggest reasons Mission wanted to play Riordan is Tavio Lucas RIP (1997), transferred to Riordan from Mission at the start of the 1991-92 Season. He played guard alongside another friend, Parnell Copeland, that year and Riordan lost in the WCAL Championship Game to SI at USF, that was led by first year coach, Don Lippi and recent SF Prep HOFer John Duggan. I wanted to face Riordan for 2 years, but never got the chance to. Tavio’s Father, Mr. Robert L. Lucas, passed away earlier this year.
m4success, ah! you have better memory than me! Lol! I may have confused it with the 1989 Crusader edition who lost in Sacramento @ Jesuit. That team had Ray Kelly aka "Baby Magic" and a youngster in Dwayne Fontana who would lead them to a Norcal Title and a 2 pt loss to Mater Dei in the State Final the following year. Anyways, great going down memory lane!

My Brother Marcel was a Playmaker and a Human Highlight Reel at SI. He did hit some 3’s tho, but I enjoyed his Allen Iverson mirrored skills, he could really dribble that basketball. I was an undersized Big lol I enjoyed banging down low and being the underdog. It’s hard to not support a kid’s dreams and goals when he garnered an A grade in Advanced Algebra/Trigonometry 1,2 last year.

If I can recall, Riordan lost to SI in the 1993 WCAL Championship at USF (I was there, USF was jam packed.) That was a tough Riordan loss, but that Coach Don Lippi led SI Team (Justice Durkee, Fergus Intimen, Tim Yamamura, JP Burgez- He was a dam good shooter) had the strategy against Ha (WCAL POY) one of my good friends to this very day. Then, in CCS play, Riordan lost (upset) to the Bellarmine Bells and then the Bells beat SI in the CCS Championship. As a result, Riordan didn’t get a CIF berth that year (93) surprisingly, Bellarmine and SI got the births. In the CIF quarterfinal first round, SI played McClymonds (Renard Monroe- PG) at Cal State Hayward and beat SI. McClymonds went on to play De La Salle and lost, as a guy from De La Salle made 20 or 25 Free throws in one game???? Who does that??? McClymonds was undefeated until that game. Anywho, Mission (we) played Bellarmine at Kezar and beat the Bells by 4 points to advance to the Coliseum to face Jesuit of Carmichael, who had beat visiting Bishop O’Dowd by 8 or 9 points in quarterfinal play. The Coach now at Bellarmine, it was his 2nd year as Coach of the Bells and they had that Gonzaga bound shooter named Kevin Williams who almost willed them to win with 34 points with another guy named AJ Shagley. I led the Mission Bears that night with 28 points lol if I had skills like my Son EJ back then I would have had at least 40 lolololol

I’m a bit of a historian so please forgive my book writing.

These names Emmett! Right down memory lane as if it was yesterday!

When Marcel transferred to SI, you come away watching like, thats just unfair. SI played fast showtime and I could remember on the break and outlet to Marcel on the left, catch past midcourt, two dribbles and pop the 3 on the wing in a fluid quick Eddie House-like motion.

This 90s era was really a golden age for SF prep hoops. SI and Riordan were dominant. SH had about 4 years of high level success. City teams like Balboa, Lowell, Galileo, Mission and Lincoln all had very good players and productive years.

Riordan lost to Mater deli in March 1990 D1 CIF/Reebok State Championship 62-60. Had Riordan was that Ship it would have changed the whole Crusader Basketball Landscape! I watched that game on KCIU Channel 36 lol Dwayne Fontana, Dorian Manigo, etc; !!!! The memories!!!!!
Interesting, Riordan had a 6-9 transfer from Serra that year (Reggie Johnson?) who played in non-league, but I believe was dismissed from the team and did not finish the season. He would made a difference as that MD team was pretty tall. It didn't help that Dorian Manigo simply could not hit his shots from the field .

m4success, ah! you have better memory than me! Lol! I may have confused it with the 1989 Crusader edition who lost in Sacramento @ Jesuit. That team had Ray Kelly aka "Baby Magic" and a youngster in Dwayne Fontana who would lead them to a Norcal Title and a 2 pt loss to Mater Dei in the State Final the following year. Anyways, great going down memory lane!
Hahaha hey Jordan24, I just mentioned that 1990 State Ship that Riordan should have won lol yes Sir we are taking a stroll down memory lane and Ray Kelly was da bomb!!! Ray was another cat that I looked up to I remember watching him on TV when he played for UC Santa Barbara!!!

Interesting, Riordan had a 6-9 transfer from Serra that year (Reggie Johnson?) who played in non-league, but I believe was dismissed from the team and did not finish the season. He would made a difference as that MD team was pretty tall. It didn't help that Dorian Manigo simply could not hit his shots from the field .
Big Reg came to Mission and we won our first of 3 straight AAA Championships in 91, 92 & 93, as a JV, I used to have to guard Reggie Johnson in practice at Mission. He was being recruited by Fresno State Bulldogs, the Coach would be at the practices. Reggie and Antione Lewis and Lawrence Scott, all from Mission’s Varsity, ended up going to Fresno City College as the plan was for them or at least Reggie, to transfer to Fresno State. The plan never materialized unfortunately.
In that 90’s Ship Dorian had his worst game ever!!!!

The Jesuit Game (1 point loss) was played in 1994, Riordan was led by Vince Smith & Rashaad Lowry, Lonnie Heard, Jamal Baugh, and Gene Bytof. Vince and Rashaad were Juniors that season. It was Division 1 Nor Cal first round game.

The 1994 team only lost 5 games to Northern California teams: At O'Dowd, At Bellarmine, At Serra, Saint Francis at U.S.F. in WCAL Playoff Championship Game, and At Jesuit. 3 other games were lost against Southern California opponents.

This Riordan team is one of the few Riordan teams to have 4 players score 300 points on the season (JB 306, LH 315, RL 396, VS 436), it might be the only team to have 4 300 point scorers. And Gene Bytof scored 242 points for that team.

The only other time Riordan played Jesuit was at the Gridley Tournament in 1990 (1991 Season), that was a 4 point loss at Gridley.

Last edited:

The Archbishop Riordan 1989 team lost to McAteer in the Division 1 Nor Cal first round game at Kezar Pavilion.

The Jesuit Game (1 point loss) was played in 1994, Riordan was led by Vince Smith & Rashaad Lowry, Lonnie Heard, Jamal Baugh, and Gene Bytof. Vince and Rashaad were Juniors that season. It was Division 1 Nor Cal first round game.

The 1994 team only lost 5 games to Northern California teams: At O'Dowd, At Bellarmine, At Serra, Saint Francis at U.S.F. in WCAL Playoff Championship Game, and At Jesuit. 3 other games were lost against Southern California opponents.

This Riordan team is one of the few Riordan teams to have 4 players score 300 points on the season (JB 306, LH 315, RL 396, VS 436), it might be the only team to have 4 300 point scorers. And Gene Bytof scored 242 points for that team.

The only other time Riordan played Jesuit was at the Gridley Tournament in 1990 (1991 Season), that was a 4 point loss at Gridley.

Those are my boys. Riordan c/o '95. We were dominating those days.

The Archbishop Riordan 1989 team lost to McAteer in the Division 1 Nor Cal first round game at Kezar Pavilion.
Great Stats, Moments and History. Them Guys in that Purple and Gold over there on Phelan Avenue were my homies. Lonnie’s Son is killin for SHC Football

EJ and Bryce are both great players. They both play hard and I really enjoyed watching them play. Wherever EJ ends up I’m sure he will lead the team in charges taken!

And Bryce and Jelani will be as dynamic a backcourt as we’ve seen in WCAL in a long while!

That being said there is something wrong at SH with so much talent leaving. We all know the Nathan Robinson circumstances and how he thrived his senior year. This looks like a continuation of that trend. Best of luck to both of these young men.

I wonder what is up with this coach? I can't see how he can last with the last couple of student-athletes that left and now one went to another rival school? How can this coach or the school get rid of most of the tall players or better ball players like Ryan Daly who didn't make the basketball team last year and ended up going to St. Francis of Mountain View. He also plays QB for the football team although he may not be starting this year. Can someone answer this question? Also, how does St. Francis get two of our bigger linemen? What is wrong or how is the front office dealing with these potential athletes and what are they doing wrong? It is like SHC is getting dates but not making any friends for the long haul.

I wonder what is up with this coach? I can't see how he can last with the last couple of student-athletes that left and now one went to another rival school? How can this coach or the school get rid of most of the tall players or better ball players like Ryan Daly who didn't make the basketball team last year and ended up going to St. Francis of Mountain View. He also plays QB for the football team although he may not be starting this year. Can someone answer this question? Also, how does St. Francis get two of our bigger linemen? What is wrong or how is the front office dealing with these potential athletes and what are they doing wrong? It is like SHC is getting dates but not making any friends for the long haul.
The disturbing thing is these weren't fringe / bench players that chose to leave - these student-athletes were the best players on the team! One being a senior! In fact, the senior's father summed it up best in an earlier post. The third was a promising athlete for the Irish that fled to Mountain View, not after the school year, but transferred last Winter. Hope things get straightened out on Ellis St.

Each individual case is different, I believe. My son has moved on from SHC and I only posted his move because of all the speculation. He didn't make up his mind on where he was going to attend until last week. His new school is only minutes away from the house.
As far as the program he left, it's very hard not really break down where the disconnect is but I will say there is a big disconnect. At least for us. Our son was a great Student at SHC, the academia there is wonderful. Our son wasn't supported in other areas which led to problems and unhappiness.
We wish nothing but the best for SHC athletics, Bryce had to leave behind friends, classmates, team mates and mentors. This was a tough road for him. It's been great to see a smile on his face again. He doesn't have to apologize anymore for being a good high school basketball player.

Mr. Robinson. Congrats on Nathan receiving the opportunity to play next level at South Dakota! Im sure you will miss him and vice versa when hes out there.

When you peel all the layers of the onion, sure you can deduct it is the school. I dont know where to really go with this though. There are no publicly known issues on the girls side. LyRyan has the ship sailing steady. I dont recall any girls leaving or any of the parents having issues. Girls stayed 4 years and many have gone on to play college ball somewhere.

I honestly dont know where the boys side is going wrong. We've had a ton of talented kids who were able to excel and showcase their hoops talent since the state title team, however kids have left for whatever reason which is 100% acceptable. Better to leave for personal reasons than to be expelled by the school for something illegal.

I have an example of this disparity. Rainah Smith, played 4 years, model SHC student athlete, graduated and I believe plays college ball. Younger brother Kimari, transfers out after 9th grade, is doing well at Mission btw. I dont know what happened there. If its financial, then of course that makes sense. But why wouldnt he have stayed and played along side Bryce, Gary, etc? Too many guards? Not enough opportunities? I dont know.
Mr. Robinson. Congrats on Nathan receiving the opportunity to play next level at South Dakota! Im sure you will miss him and vice versa when hes out there.

When you peel all the layers of the onion, sure you can deduct it is the school. I dont know where to really go with this though. There are no publicly known issues on the girls side. LyRyan has the ship sailing steady. I dont recall any girls leaving or any of the parents having issues. Girls stayed 4 years and many have gone on to play college ball somewhere.

I honestly dont know where the boys side is going wrong. We've had a ton of talented kids who were able to excel and showcase their hoops talent since the state title team, however kids have left for whatever reason which is 100% acceptable. Better to leave for personal reasons than to be expelled by the school for something illegal.

I have an example of this disparity. Rainah Smith, played 4 years, model SHC student athlete, graduated and I believe plays college ball. Younger brother Kimari, transfers out after 9th grade, is doing well at Mission btw. I dont know what happened there. If its financial, then of course that makes sense. But why wouldnt he have stayed and played along side Bryce, Gary, etc? Too many guards? Not enough opportunities? I dont know.

Thank you, Nathan is loving it so far and is with a really good group of student-athletes. Should be a great place to grow and develop in all areas of life. He had a great summer overseas and is excited.

Now on to SHC, I could write a book on all the drama I saw but I really like the upper-level admin folks and have respect for Coach DB, so I will never do that but... I will say what I believe the major issue is, has been, and will continue to be.

The program has had talent but when you have talent on your team that usually means knowledgeable parents about the game. The parents of talented kids understand the game and have expectations of the program from a developmental perspective.

Parents of talented athletes want scholarship offers and if a coach is not winning that's a problem in the scholarship process. If a coach can't make calls to D1 coaches, send emails regularly or have D1 coaches come to practice to see these kids, its a problem. If the HS coach is just relying on the AAU coach to get the kid a scholarship, it's a problem. In most cases (during my time), SHC basketball parents watch their kid play against other WCAL kids at the youth level and dominate these kids, but once they get to SHC the tables turn and the talented kids are getting beat by a less talented team. This creates problems on and off the court.

While at SHC some of the best basketball conversations were with the parents of talented kids. But I consistently would hear the parents are the problem, lol. The parents were never the problem and in most cases, coaches on the HS level just don't know how to deal with parents and misunderstand the parent's role and dismiss the hard work these parents have put into making sure their kid has been developed to be the best basketball player they can be while putting the kid in a position to get one of the 18K spots available at the D1 level out of a pool of 500K.

The pressure on a HS coach to get a kid a D1 scholarship is real. We have all these basketball social media groups highlighting kids all year long and because it's on social media or a camp highlight WE all think the kid is a D1 player. But the reality, obtaining a D1 scholarship is hard work and it takes a number of factors and people to make this possible. How many Bay Area or NorCal player for that matter was highlighted on social media as being a D1 player or the best in NorCal and actually received a D1 scholarship? I don't know but I would guess not more than 15.

Until SHC understand that if they want talented kids and desire winning they must be prepared to deal with the expectations of parents of talented kids as well as putting in a considerable amount of work preparing and pushing these kids to the next level. No parent is going to want to attend or stay at SHC if they can clearly see the desired expectations are not going to be met.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Now on to SHC, I could write a book on all the drama I saw but I really like the upper-level admin folks and have respect for Coach DB, so I will never do that but... I will say what I believe the major issue is, has been, and will continue to be.

The program has had talent but when you have talent on your team that usually means knowledgeable parents about the game. The parents of talented kids understand the game and have expectations of the program from a developmental perspective.

Parents of talented athletes want scholarship offers and if a coach is not winning that's a problem in the scholarship process. If a coach can't make calls to D1 coaches, send emails regularly or have D1 coaches come to practice to see these kids, its a problem. If the HS coach is just relying on the AAU coach to get the kid a scholarship, it's a problem. In most cases (during my time), SHC basketball parents watch their kid play against other WCAL kids at the youth level and dominate these kids, but once they get to SHC the tables turn and the talented kids are getting beat by a less talented team.
And the alumni and fans want to see a consistent winning team.

And the alumni and fans want to see a consistent winning team.
Interesting , Too bad that population does not have influence over certain situations. Either way it's truly concerning to see so many talented student athletes leave the school of their choice . If people do not think that's a problem, this trend will continue. Get your popcorn ready.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT