ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Scott has been fired at Terra Linda

Midway through the season? Seems strange, I’ve always heard good things about Scott. Definitely has to be a lot more than an ass chewing and sprints?

https://usatodayhss.com/2016/is-it-ok-for-coaches-to-berate-curse-at-kids

Coaches are supposed to be leaders and mentors and should never demean a young athlete. It’s a negative making more negatives. We are not taking about grown men or women we are talking about children. A coach at the high school level is an educator teaching student athletes about the sport their playing but also about life. And if you think cursing at someone is a good life lesson you have some issues. You wouldn’t want your teachers cussing at their students when they fail at something so why do we want our coaches not to held to the same standards as our educators.

Coaches are supposed to be leaders and mentors and should never demean a young athlete. It’s a negative making more negatives. We are not taking about grown men or women we are talking about children. A coach at the high school level is an educator teaching student athletes about the sport their playing but also about life. And if you think cursing at someone is a good life lesson you have some issues. You wouldn’t want your teachers cussing at their students when they fail at something so why do we want our coaches not to held to the same standards as our educators.

I had heard from my kids of their teachers cussing If my kids or other kids were acting assholes then no issue with it whatsoever. Not going to be one of those that gets shocked and an an uproar over it. If the teacher or coach gets through to just one of goes kids it’ a life lesson and teaching moment.

Times have changed. It's all fell-good Oprah and Dr. Phil all the time. Parents run the show. Cellphones record every fart, every belch, every twitch, every misstep, verbal or otherwise. Administrators run scared. Why adults choose to continue to coach in this environment is always surprising. But god bless those who do.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with Oprah or Dr. Phil, how about we talk to young adults like we would want to be talk to. Using foul language is not motivation it is someone trying to show power over someone else. When I was in the military everyone cussed and NCO’s would belittle and demean their troops thinking this would motivate them. It doesn’t it just makes them hate what they do. When I became an NCO I tried that tactic and learned that giving respect was a better motivator. I took those tools to teaching and coaching and I get much better results. Coaching has evolved just like our youth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Do you know for sure why this mentor got the axe? Was it vulgarity? Was it something else? What gives?

One factor has to be the “post- game conditioning.”

Even that seems like a non issue. Nothing wrong running your team after a game.

Derek White is a respected career baseball guy and he said the whole thing was weird and he was shocked how it was handled by TL. That right there raises red flags and is very telling about how TL might have really botched this.

Oh by the way, not every one should get a trophy.

So because I want a coach to not curse and demean players you think I want a trophy for everyone. 7 percent of high school player end up playing college sports and 2 percent of them play D1. The kids are out there working there butts off because they want to be there. They didn’t go out there to be cursed and play into some coaches ego trip. It’s a sport, a game, high school get over it. High school sports wouldn’t survive without the other 93 percent that will never play again.

For me, it has always been about a coach being who they are and how they care for the players. Different coaches have different methods of doing that, but if the players feel cared for, then it is ok with me.

I don’t know if that is the case at Terra Linda but I would speculate others outside the team has a problem with it

Reactions: bella123
Times have changed. It's all fell-good Oprah and Dr. Phil all the time. Parents run the show. Cellphones record every fart, every belch, every twitch, every misstep, verbal or otherwise. Administrators run scared. Why adults choose to continue to coach in this environment is always surprising. But god bless those who do.

Absolutely agree. That and being a ref. What a thankless job. I think it will come down to supply and demand where coaches are going to be able to command more $$ to put up with all the crap. God knows they deserve it.

Lots of speculation going on here and hypothetically “parents” being the instigators.
I’ve seen little Johnny’s parents raise hackles and coaches making bonehead, even immature, choices. There’s plenty of both at many schools.

That’s why it’s so important coaches/teams choose their captains wisely. Not through popularity or solely with kids deciding.
Some of those 18 year old seniors are either really smart- (-er than a tenured PE teacher) or so passionate they’re destined for the next level.

If those captains mete out the guidance there are very few occasions where a parent, administrator or even coaches will suffer any fallout. “The captains wisely decided that those laughing would sit out ( x games, fill in your ramification) and that everyone has committed to playing these games hard nosed. They have agreed the behavior reflected poorly on us coaches, the school, our opponents and most importantly on the players who lead this team with dedication and grit, cannot he condoned.”

No players as leaders? That’s a coaching oversight the previous years.

Lots of speculation going on here and hypothetically “parents” being the instigators.
I’ve seen little Johnny’s parents raise hackles and coaches making bonehead, even immature, choices. There’s plenty of both at many schools.

That’s why it’s so important coaches/teams choose their captains wisely. Not through popularity or solely with kids deciding.
Some of those 18 year old seniors are either really smart- (-er than a tenured PE teacher) or so passionate they’re destined for the next level.

If those captains mete out the guidance there are very few occasions where a parent, administrator or even coaches will suffer any fallout. “The captains wisely decided that those laughing would sit out ( x games, fill in your ramification) and that everyone has committed to playing these games hard nosed. They have agreed the behavior reflected poorly on us coaches, the school, our opponents and most importantly on the players who lead this team with dedication and grit, cannot he condoned.”

No players as leaders? That’s a coaching oversight the previous years.

Some valid points. First you are right a lot of this is speculation. We don’t know, but sadly it appears coach Scott doesn’t know either. I’d sure like an explanation why I was canned. Honestly I get tired of the hiding behind, “it’s a personal, matter we can’t comment.” IE we are so full of it we know we screwed up. Should be some type of waiver that fired person can waive confidentially and get it out in the open.

You often hear of a anonymous complaint. Again BS. I get several anonymous complaints given to me to handle at work. Those get a zero response. If your that outraged then provide a name so said problem could possible be discussed and remedied. If you don’t care to leave your name and stand by your issue, otherwise it’s obviously not that important.

So if this was someone from outside the program? Or player or parent. Doesn’t matter if they did not bother to approach the coach and say, “hey I don’t like the way you do this or this has a negative effect on me etc.”
You cannot fix what you don’t know is a problem for others. It’s called communication, a lost art.

I think the idea of what team captains can do has changed for the worse as well. Now holding others accountable is often labeled as “bullying and child abuse”. And that would fall back on the coach. He either condoned it or he didn’t know it was happening and should know what’s going on in his program. Would love to see the “Fohi Slap” brought back, but don’t see if happening right now either.

I just don’t like the precedent of losing what seems like more and more good coaches due to this current climate. Many former coaches I know tell me they love the kids and miss it, but don't miss the drama and that’s why they got out. Little tip, when they say they got out “for personal reasons” or to “spend more time with their family” take those statements with a grain of salt :)

I wouldn’t discount captains- real leaders not the fake kids who jump to the front of the shake line- so easily. Peer pressure from positive leaders is golden. Negative reinforcement from adults who are not respectful (yes, it still has to be earned) is simply laziness. Not saying that’s the situation here but I’ve seen more coaches spend their time playin the ponies or shootin’ shish with their buds when a chapter or two in “Psyche of The HS Athlete” would foster dividends for years.

TL is a public. If a coach is on staff in the District, even emptying the trash, he AND the school have mutually agreed not commenting on personnel issues. Y’all know that. What you get in return, compared to a Private, is higher pay and benefits. No one cares which paper they put in front of you, resignation or termination. Nothing can touch your AFL-CIO rights unless you really screw up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT