ADVERTISEMENT

CIF brackets out!

Piedmont loses in D4 championship game and gets the sweetheart #1 seed in D2! Meanwhile the winner Marin Catholic gets "rewarded " with a 14 seed at SI. Competitive equity sucks...

Last edited:
Reactions: NCS707
Instead of filling out an 8 team bracket they bumped Salesian to the D1 and only took 7? Shocker!!!!

Reactions: observer22
So every CCS open team gets into open or D1 except Half Moon Bay who falls to D4?? Aragon wasn’t even in the open conversation and is in D2..

The CCS committee is a joke for allowing them to “volunteer” to go open. I guess they got what they wanted though, Los Gatos wins their first section title in 40 years..

Reactions: blex20 and TheHillZ
I will say this....

Salesian and CN get pulled from NCS D2 allowing Acalanes to win the NCS D2 sections pretty easily and now Acalanes opens as the 16 seed at #1 Salesian.... seems fitting.

2020 CIF goes with a 5 team bracket so that Salesian can get a 1 seed in D1. Now in 2022 they take a 7 team bracket and give CLET a bye instead of filling out the bracket. Now instead of being the 1 seed in D2 Acalanes is the 16 seed at Salesian. This system is broken and if you don’t see the politics here I’m not sure what to tell you anymore. I told you all what was coming

2020 CIF goes with a 5 team bracket so that Salesian can get a 1 seed in D1. Now in 2022 they take a 7 team bracket and give CLET a bye instead of filling out the bracket. Now instead of being the 1 seed in D2 Acalanes is the 16 seed at Salesian. This system is broken and if you don’t see the politics here I’m not sure what to tell you anymore. I told you all what was coming
Your math is off...

Acalanes would have been the 15 with Salesian as the 8 in the OPEN

MC gets a nice prize for winning NCS D4 by getting a 14 seed and playing a team who obliterated them earlier lol oh well……Piedmont loses and now is poised for a sweet run to a state title game

Reactions: CoachAlvarez
Aragon wins CCS D2 and gets a 15 seed. Hillsdale loses 2 games all year, one in the championship and gets a 16. Menlo loses to Aragon, Burlingame, Half Moon Bay and Notre Dame Belmont and gets a 3!

And Burlingame, with a better record gets a 16 while Woodside Priory, which lost to Burlingame, gets a 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: blex20 and TheHillZ
Aragon wins CCS D2 and gets a 15 seed. Hillsdale loses 2 games all year, one in the championship and gets a 16. Menlo loses to Aragon, Burlingame, Half Moon Bay and Notre Dame Belmont and gets a 3!

And Burlingame, with a better record gets a 16 while Woodside Priory, which lost to Burlingame, gets a 7.
Think the Menlo seed is off by a division and a half.

Also surprised by Harker at 24-2 (only losses were both close and both to Menlo). They get a #13 seed in D4. Upset special.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
What is the point of competitive equity when

D1
Acalanes wins D2 and gets moved up to D1 16seed
BOD who was 3rd place in their league, gets a 4 seed in D1
Marin Catholic wins D4 and gets 14 seed in D1
Moreau gets 14 seed in D1 for winning D3.

D2
Lick Wilmerding made semi-finals in D4 and gets 13 seed in D2
James Logan moved DOWN to D2

D3
Lincoln gets moved DOWN to d3 number 1 seed? I think they took pity on what happened but really?
Dixon won first championship and gets moved up to D3 and gets 6 seed??
Clovis gets moved north while Clovis west goes south...
Priory gets moved to D3 as a 7 seed

D4
Uprep wins D4 and stays in d4
Branson wins d5 and gets 3 seed in D4
Placer loses in d3 semi's but gets put in D4

What's the formula they're using? There seems to be no rhyme or reason for some of these picks. I agree with what another poster said, NCS Commish really screwed a lot of their teams in this.

The girls are an afterthought. The boys are the priority. For the females, the seeding is right out of Alice in Wonderland. It's the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts doing the seeding. No clue. Down is up. Up is down. Time for another helping of Magic Mushrooms over at Arby's.

D1

D2

D3
Lincoln gets moved DOWN to d3 number 1 seed? I think they took pity on what happened but really?

D4

What's the formula they're using? There seems to be no rhyme or reason for some of these picks. I agree with what another poster said, NCS Commish really screwed a lot of their teams in this.
D3 #1 is Lincoln Zebras if Lincoln CA not Stockton.

The girls are an afterthought. The boys are the priority. For the females, the seeding is right out of Alice in Wonderland. It's the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts doing the seeding. No clue. Down is up. Up is down. Time for another helping of Magic Mushrooms over at Arby's.

While I enjoy and follow most all high school sports, I probably follow girls soccer most closely right now, as my daughter is playing. If you think girls basketball is an afterthought, you should see some of the seeding in the girls soccer tournament.

Antelope is a 10 seed in division 2 with a win against Saint Ignatius, a 5 point loss to Salesian and a win over Vista del lago? That’s the best 10 seeded D2 team in the competitive equity era lol

Reactions: TheHillZ
Antelope is a 10 seed in division 2 with a win against Saint Ignatius, a 5 point loss to Salesian and a win over Vista del lago? That’s the best 10 seeded D2 team in the competitive equity era lol
The selection committee appeared to use MaxPreps rankings after D1 seeding. It gets difficult to seed all these teams, girls and boys, for all these divisions, after analyzing who should be in the Open and D1 divisions. Antelope's non-league season without their star player, and playing in a weak league kept their MaxPreps ranking much lower than it should.

D1

D2

D3

D4

That’s a different Lincoln.

D1

D2

D3

D4

clovis west is north. 3 seed in the open

The selection committee appeared to use MaxPreps rankings after D1 seeding. It gets difficult to seed all these teams, girls and boys, for all these divisions, after analyzing who should be in the Open and D1 divisions. Antelope's non-league season without their star player, and playing in a weak league kept their MaxPreps ranking much lower than it should.
The selection committee decided to send TWELVE NCS teams into the Open and D1 bracket compared to the SJS sending 5. Is the NCS really that much better than the SJS or is the commissioner better at spreading out his teams? Wouldn’t someone look at the Antelope win against SI or a 5 point loss to Salesian and say ya that’s probably not a D2 10 seed let alone a D2 team at all. Oh well. It’s a tough thankless job anyway to try and seed all these teams especially with Covid impacting so many outcomes this year.

Reactions: coachcarter40
They must have looked at Antelope's early losses before Mary was eligible. McClatchy and Lincoln deserve better, but it appears they awarded those spots to Section champions.

If this is actual competitive equity though, those SJS teams you just mentioned would be replacing the bottom half teams in the CCS open ( Sacred heart, Palo Alto, and maybe Saint Francis) that made the D1 bracket. But it’s not true competitive equity because each division has to have a certain # of teams from each section from what I can tell. SJS commissioner does a great job fighting for his teams to get favorable seeds.

Reactions: blex20
as bad as that Antelope seeding is...its still not as egregious as the b2b West Campus seedings from a few yrs ago. Now THAT was a masterful slight of hand underseeding trickery by the SJS commissioner.

How’d SHC get in Division 1 ? And actually how did they get in at all with a 9-15 record with a 1-8 league record. Doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: Swishlife70
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT