ADVERTISEMENT

Clovis West @ St. Mary’s (Stockton)

bulldogmgc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
I would be lying if I didn’t say this game has my anxiety peaking.

Links to team previews:

The last game (playoffs) of season last year was heartbreaking for both teams, SM losing to Turlock (defense just couldn’t stop Turlock QB Cole Gilbert, especially in the end giving up two 2-pt conversions and missing an all important FG) and CW losing to SJ Memorial (after giving up a safety, it was pure downhill as CW couldn’t stop the running by SJM RB Brandon Ramirez - 204 yards on 19 carries and 3 TDs).

No doubt CW offense is loaded with 8 starters returning on offense, including a star-studded WR corp lead by Marshel Sanders, Landon Wright, and Jordan Pierro. Sleeper WR junior Jonavon Darrington. Last year’s starting QB graduated. But, Tyler Patrick has had his share of snaps and time behind center for the Golden Eagles and played very well in the 4 games he had opportunity, completing 36 of 62 passes for 642 yards, 6 TDs and only 1 INT (QBR 120.5). CW will be bringing a scary aerial attack that will require me to bring my track shoes (chain gang) with many big plays anticipated.

Many believe that St Mary’s achilles heal is their defense, giving up 51 points to Turlock and much early points against several teams they played last year. The Rams philosophy is and always has been “catch me if you can”. So, are the Rams going to give up points vs Clovis West? Absolutely! But, will CW be able to keep up with St. Mary’s offense? Can they slow down the Rams run game with Asante Carter and Christopher Maghoney in the backfield, along with mobile QB Samson Hunkin who gets overlooked for his passing ability. Hunkin threw for 1982 yards on 137 completions out of 182 yards passing with 21 TDs and 4 INTs and QBR 139.5. Yes, his leading WR Nas Danielson graduated. But, SM is returning 9 starters on offense and Samson will have junior WR Kenneth Moore as his new prime target. SM returns 7 players on defense, and word is that they have made much improvement having a year behind them and being very young. Omari Gayles and company will very much challenged.

In my opinion, the Rams bring a much more balanced offense to this game along with more seasoned defense. Both teams strength is their respective offense. But, if the Rams can control the LOS and run the ball at will, they can control the clock and the game. However, that’s not how I see this game playing out. I anticipate several big plays by both teams and a mini-shootout with both teams scoring lots. I do anticipate turnovers and penalties being the first game of the season for both teams, and the depth of each team to be the biggest factor with CW having many players playing both sides of the ball. These factors may contribute to a lower scoring output overall. Pre-season conditioning will be huge! Look for a close game in the beginning and the Rams playing catch me if you can in the second half. Then again, it could be the Golden Eagles making that statement. Much unpredictability truly anticipated being the first game of the season. So just scratch everything I have said. Lol. I’m just praying for a good game and no one from either team gets hurt. But sure, a SM win would be nice. 😉

GO RAMS! RAMPRIDE forever!!!

Last edited:
My observation of this game tonight from the CW sideline working the chains was that both teams have some pretty good skill players, with CW scores coming from BIG plays from #5 Sanders, #14 Wright, #3 Khajavi, and #2 Pierro; and SM finding success on the ground with #2 Carter and #3 Moore and #9 making plays on the ground and in the air including a couple of critical 4th down conversions to keep the scoring drive alive in the second half. But, IMO, the difference in this game was special teams with SM having dominated in this area, much due to having more depth. CW skilled players were already going both ways and they just didn’t have as much depth or number of players to spread talent across all phases of this game. Both teams played very sloppy football early on with SM struggling in getting their offense going and CW committing several penalties. First game jitters were definitely existing for both teams. Lots of potential exists for both teams to improve. SM defense must improve especially in defending the big play and avoiding missed tackles giving up big yards that result in TDs. The SM offense at times especially early was not in sync, with quite a few dropped passes. But, it’s early for both teams and both teams will get better.

Side note: SM running the Wing-T at times did very well in gaining yards needed to score inside the 5 and converting short 4th down plays. Would like to see them build off of this formation more during the season. SM’s center #52 does a great job in coming off the ball and creating the path for #2 Carter to punch it in. Also, up 24 points, going conservative on offense, with some 2nd stringers, nearly let CW back into the game, closing with 10 points.

Kudos to Clovis West and their effort and not giving up to make the game a bit interesting towards the end. All the best the rest of the season!

For St. Mary’s, congrats on getting the WIN! Confident you will play better and learn from this one. Please don’t get contempt with the win. Still have some more pretty big games coming up (one game at a time) starting with Central Catholic next week at home. Let’s GO RAMS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT