ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle completes historic season

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
De La Salle beat Heritage 10-1 to win its fourth straight NCS D1 title. The Spartans finished the year 29-1 and will be named No. 1 in the state by Cal Hi Sports in the end of season rankings.

This was one of the most dominant teams I’ve seen come through NorCal in the past decade.

And they return some key pieces too for the 2020 season led by two way standout Kyle Harrison.

They won when it counted and 29-1 is darn good.
That said’ “one of the most dominant,” is opined on an outstanding final record. To wit, in 5 EBAL games, there were three one-run wins, and two two-run Ws. They certainly crushed the weaker squads. There were two one-run Ws plus another two-run W vs 15-13 MV. They go 8-5 instead of 13-0 they’re in a four way cluster with Foothill/AV/MV.

They don’t win the quarterfinal 2-1 against MV (again!) there’s no headline.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
My question back: which seasons in NorCal have been more dominant? I think this DLS season is on the short list. Dominance has different forms. Playing the schedule they did and going 29-1 is dominant IMO.

Also, painting a team as the same for all 28 games is inaccurate in baseball. Monte Vista with White on the mound is different than with another pitcher for example.

Would a phrase like one of the best seasons we have seen work better?

A comparison of the last three seasons of Valley Christian vs De La Salle would be interesting.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
My question back: which seasons in NorCal have been more dominant? I think this DLS season is on the short list. Dominance has different forms. Playing the schedule they did and going 29-1 is dominant IMO.

Also, painting a team as the same for all 28 games is inaccurate in baseball. Monte Vista with White on the mound is different than with another pitcher for example.

A comparison of the last three seasons of Valley Christian vs De La Salle would be interesting.

Too bad they didn’t play this year. Would have loved to seen Zobac and his .23 ERA (gave up 2 earned runs all year) go against DLS.

1. IDK. Using “dominant” when 20% of their wins were squeakers and they barely made it out of quarters? They persevered for sure.
2. Yes. 29-1 WITH the one L being 3-2 is pretty amazing for a Bay Area school.

Putting things in context, IMO, helps the casual reader. And I agree about “painting a team the same for all 28 games is inaccurate.” Precisely why the one/two run wins matter to some, certainly not all, superficially speaking. Or why a 1-0 or 3-0 win against sub .500 records provide background.

I understand this site is not based on journalistic idealism. And why the threads that (slowly) reveal more facts tend to generate the most clicks: e.g. I wouldn’t have known they escaped a 2-1 L in the quarters....

Teams from the past that would run any team from today into the ground:

McClatchy (Sacramento) 1951
Record: 22-0-1; Head Coach: Cliff Perry

Due to being unbeaten in the days when Sacramento city baseball was as its best, the Lions can still make a claim at being the greatest team in Sacramento history.

The team’s only close game was an 11-11 tie with Christian Brothers that was called due to darkness. The 23-game unbeaten streak didn’t end until it reached 40 games during the 1952 season. It is still one of the five longest unbeaten streaks in state history.

As with all great teams, McClatchy could hit and pitch. Earl Rose led the hitting with a .521 average followed by junior Peter Stathos at .512. As a team, the Lions batted .309. Sophomore Ralph Rose (Earl’s brother) was one of the top pitchers, along with Chris Christian and J.C. Masters. Catcher Bob Jones and junior first baseman Dick Traversi were two more All-City players.

The Redwood teams were amazing to watch! Good hard nose baseball.

Redwood (Larkspur) 1977
Record: 33-3; Head Coach: Al Endriss

The Giants were awarded a mythical national title after this season by the Easton Bat Company, but we have them No. 2 in the state behind Edgewood of West Covina, which was 29-1. With Edgewood making these rankings, Redwood’s 1977 team can be this high as well. The 1977 Giants also were better than Redwood’s 1978 squad that is listed as State Team of the Year.

One of Redwood’s losses was by 2-1 to the Taiwan national team in a game that was tied 1-1 after seven innings. Two losses were to league rival Terra Linda (a team the Giants also beat) while two notable wins were against top teams from Oregon and Washington.

The most famous player on the team was infielder Buddy Biancalana, who was a hero for the Kansas City Royals in the 1985 World Series. Third baseman Greg Zunino set a state record by scoring 65 runs and helped the team score 356 runs for a NorCal record. The Giants also had 358 hits, a total that still makes the state record book. Pitchers David Hoffmeister and Steve Travers (both who pitched at USC) along with outfielders Steve Hoffmire and Jim Connor were among the team’s other standouts.

Sacred Heart (San Francisco) 1961
Record: 32-2; Head Coach: Dick Murray

Future major league pitcher Frank Bertaina led the Irish to a memorable season. He pitched a two-hitter and struck out 16 when Sacred Heart closed out the San Francisco Academic Athletic Association playoffs with a 2-0 win over Balboa before 6,106 at Candlestick Park. In regular season league games, Bertaina went 10-0 with a 0.27 ERA and struck out 151 batters. He also batted .451 with 25 RBIs.

With other top hitters such as Bill Phelan, Ron Butori and Frank Tamony (who later went on to become a top teacher/coach at De La Salle of Concord and is now in that school’s athletic hall of fame), Sacred Heart had a team batting average of .333. Phelan also was another of the squad’s top pitchers.

The win over Balboa also capped a 12-year run by Dick Murray as the team’s coach. Murray, who had to step down after the season because he wasn’t on the teaching staff of the school, had a 300-65 record for the Irish.

Legend is Frank Bertaina struck out SH grad Jim Gentile (who was in town before spring training) twice in early season SH practice. Out of frustration, Jim Gentile threw his bat against fence breaking it. He later on that year hit 45 home runs for Baltimore Orioles coming in third behind Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris 61 historic HR battle.

Last edited:
1. IDK. Using “dominant” when 20% of their wins were squeakers and they barely made it out of quarters? They persevered for sure.
2. Yes. 29-1 WITH the one L being 3-2 is pretty amazing for a Bay Area school.

Putting things in context, IMO, helps the casual reader. And I agree about “painting a team the same for all 28 games is inaccurate.” Precisely why the one/two run wins matter to some, certainly not all, superficially speaking. Or why a 1-0 or 3-0 win against sub .500 records provide background.

I understand this site is not based on journalistic idealism. And why the threads that (slowly) reveal more facts tend to generate the most clicks: e.g. I wouldn’t have known they escaped a 2-1 L in the quarters....

Persevered is a fine word to use. I think one run wins are a part of baseball and not a sign of a team not being dominant. I choose to define that word differently when it comes to baseball. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make either of us wrong.

This is one reason why I believe in my point: Mitty went 31-3 in 2010 and was named national champs by the Rivals.com national poll. They had 5 one run wins (just short of 20 percent of their wins).

On the last point, this site does strive to be strong journalism. We aren't perfect, but it is something we work toward achieving. I don't make posts for clicks. I make post to share news and analysis. It is as an insult that I would post for other reasons. You may not care, but your take didn't go unnoticed.

C’mon man. The regulars like the forum. That’s why we contribute. But as THE Moderator, any claim of journalistic integrity of this site AS A WHOLE, is pretty funny. (Sybil alert.) I think you have good takes. But a journalist- which I suspect you’re not claiming- would never offer opinions or subjectivity. As Joe Friday would say, “ Just the facts m’am.”

Frankly, any “national poll” is the bane of objectivity. Especially for high schools. Stick around folks: Coming soon- The 2032 National CCT Championship:

Streak- by now you get the double/triple meanings Crete likes to ponder.
“More clicks?” It’s facetious! The IRA (Russia, not No. Ireland) used that tactic to dupe in 2016. One wants to answer those silly questions in FB? Have at it trying to avoid Cambridge Analytica.

‘Maybe you are searching among the branches, for what only appears in the roots.’

-Rumi-

Seriously! We need to laugh more on here.

postscript- Very nice season by Sparta.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
When saying "this site" I was referring to staff of the site, not everyone who posts on here (we can definitely agree it is lacking in some LOL).

We do need to laugh more on here. And back and forth banter can be entertaining too

Have a good one @1315

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT