ADVERTISEMENT

Disrespectful defense

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Alexis Morris, a guard with the LSU women, has stated that Iowa's very successful and well-planned hyper-sagging defesne vs. South Carolina was "disrespectful." Not sure what she actually meant. The defense worked nicely, allowing Iowa to compete with, and eventually defeat, the previously unbeaten Gamecocks in Friday's NCAA semi-final game. That's what scouting reports and preparation are for. Iowa respected the SC interior to the nth degree. So the Hawks deployed all of their resources into the paint. It was a big gamble but it worked. Disrespect? Not really. Just sound analysis and great execution. LSU can win Sunday vs. Iowa in the finale. But gals like Morris will have to hit some outside shots. If they don't, well, lots of luck.

Alexis Morris, a guard with the LSU women, has stated that Iowa's very successful and well-planned hyper-sagging defesne vs. South Carolina was "disrespectful." Not sure what she actually meant. The defense worked nicely, allowing Iowa to compete with, and eventually defeat, the previously unbeaten Gamecocks in Friday's NCAA semi-final game. That's what scouting reports and preparation are for. Iowa respected the SC interior to the nth degree. So the Hawks deployed all of their resources into the paint. It was a big gamble but it worked. Disrespect? Not really. Just sound analysis and great execution. LSU can win Sunday vs. Iowa in the finale. But gals like Morris will have to hit some outside shots. If they don't, well, lots of luck.
It’s also disrespectful to force a player to dribble with their off hand.

Reactions: ClayK
I would say it was more pick your poison than disrespectful. And it is on South Carolina to make them pay by knocking down shots.

The strategy almost backfired... Raven Johnson, the player Iowa dared to shoot, went 3 of 6 from the arc, which ain't bad.

Bunch of crybabies. It’s called knowing your opponent.
Get better and develop your weaknesses. The world wants to see Clarke as well. Best thing to happen to the women’s game in a long time. Viewership has exploded.

Reactions: Forderer
If anything, LSU should be glad Iowa employed that strategy against South Carolina. Otherwise, LSU would have had to beat them head to head to take the championship. Nice win today.

If anything, LSU should be glad Iowa employed that strategy against South Carolina. Otherwise, LSU would have had to beat them head to head to take the championship. Nice win today.
Good final 4. Great for women’s hoops.
LSU was the better. Nothing more to it.

Good final 4. Great for women’s hoops.
LSU was the better. Nothing more to it.
I disagree. The refs hijacked that game. They were horrible for both teams. They made the game about themselves instead of the players. The NCAA should be embarrassed.

Officiating was really bad. No argument.
Mulkey gets away with murder on sidelines.
Game was won in 2nd qtr. Carson had Game of her life.
Overall big picture though it was a big weekend for the women.

I disagree. The refs hijacked that game. They were horrible for both teams. They made the game about themselves instead of the players. The NCAA should be embarrassed.
please explain more. they called 18 and 19 fouls. they could have called 1899 fouls because women foul 2099 times a game.
what say you about how it should have been officiated?

Complaining about Reece's Sunday gestures (and her explanation) is a waste of time and energy at this point. Poor sportsmanship is now an accepted (and even encouraged) part of basketball, football, soccer, etc. The days of polite behavior on the field or in the gym are long-gone, courtesy of TV, social media, cultural norms and other factors. It's almost as though professional wrestling has set the standard (a very low bar indeed) for woofing, scoffing, mocking, finger-pointing, cursing, you name it. Where are Gorgeous George and Lord Blears when we really need them? Oh, that's right, George Kittle (and perhaps Draymond Green at some point) is the new Haystack Calhoun.

Reactions: observer22
Wherever you want to place the blame (officials, player antics for LSU and Iowa, online discourse), there seems to be a cloud over what was a really good tournament for women's basketball. The level of play and the type of players we are seeing now are different.

I could see us looking back on this tournament as a spring board for women's hoops

Reactions: Coach Cardinal
Complaining about Reece's Sunday gestures (and her explanation) is a waste of time and energy at this point. Poor sportsmanship is now an accepted (and even encouraged) part of basketball, football, soccer, etc. The days of polite behavior on the field or in the gym are long-gone, courtesy of TV, social media, cultural norms and other factors. It's almost as though professional wrestling has set the standard (a very low bar indeed) for woofing, scoffing, mocking, finger-pointing, cursing, you name it. Where are Gorgeous George and Lord Blears when we really need them? Oh, that's right, George Kittle (and perhaps Draymond Green at some point) is the new Haystack Calhoun.

Whats to complain about? Reece's gesture wasn't a crotch grab, a middle finger or anything negative, so do explain, maybe I missed something. She didn't jump in anyones face, didn't get physical. Just celebratory banter. And if I'm not mistaken, she did precisely what Clark did earlier in the tournament (without telling her opponent to shut up). It was just a bigger, more consequential stage.

I didn't see poor sportsmanship either. I'm thinking you're confusing playing with an edge as bad sportsmanship. Who knows. I watched a well played game won by a team that executed their game plan to perfection. They also played with way more energy than Iowa. The proof is in the results.

Also, we all played sports (well most of us) and sh*t talk, impolite behavior, woofing, barking etc. has been around as far as any of us can remember. That aint a TV or social media thing or anything remotely new. Seems salty.

Reactions: Coach Cardinal
Wherever you want to place the blame (officials, player antics for LSU and Iowa, online discourse), there seems to be a cloud over what was a really good tournament for women's basketball. The level of play and the type of players we are seeing now are different.

I could see us looking back on this tournament as a spring board for women's hoops
That is my point as well. I’m saying big picture.
Hey if I have a room full of adult men and Hs kids lloving the ncaa women’s tourney this is a 180 from anything I’ve experienced.

Why all the code… “the type of players we are seeing now are different “….what does that mean?

Why all the code… “the type of players we are seeing now are different “….what does that mean?
No code. It means we are seeing players do the things that aren’t common. Similar to the mens side when you had a KG, Dirk, Steph come along. Guys who played the game differently. And I’m seeing that on the girls side too

I think the difference is women are much more athletic now because they condition differently…they train differently

Was a great game and tournament overall. Drama makes it even better. Was reece disrespectful in following clark around the entire last minute? Yes. Was it entertaining? YES! Were the refs bad? Yes. Do women foul more than men? Yes but really it just seems like college refs call a ton of fouls and they should up the amount needed to foul out. Is it super lame that Clark got a personal foul along with the tech? Dumb rule and YES. Overall super entertaining and all the drama was the cherry on top

Whats to complain about? Reece's gesture wasn't a crotch grab, a middle finger or anything negative, so do explain, maybe I missed something. She didn't jump in anyones face, didn't get physical. Just celebratory banter. And if I'm not mistaken, she did precisely what Clark did earlier in the tournament (without telling her opponent to shut up). It was just a bigger, more consequential stage.

I didn't see poor sportsmanship either. I'm thinking you're confusing playing with an edge as bad sportsmanship. Who knows. I watched a well played game won by a team that executed their game plan to perfection. They also played with way more energy than Iowa. The proof is in the results.

Also, we all played sports (well most of us) and sh*t talk, impolite behavior, woofing, barking etc. has been around as far as any of us can remember. That aint a TV or social media thing or anything remotely new. Seems salty.
i listened to 2 females on siruis xm today asking why do women have to win with honor and lose with grace. she said men get mad and taunt all the time and it is ok but women cant. she said nobody should be bothered and clark said she isnt bothered.
and like you said, i was, and still am a big talker when i am hooping.. even when i know i am about to lose... i am still talking

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT